1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single to Dually Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 12:25 PM
Austinnbole
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single to Dually Conversion

Hey guys I have a 2010 Ford F-250 it has a 2 in leveling kit with some 35" toyos.
I like the look of a Dually and I want to see if anyone knows any information about doing a conversion to go from my single rear to a Dually.
Thanks,
Austinn

Old 12-10-2015, 12:27 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
You will need the front spacers, wheels, rear fenders and the rear axle. You will probably have to change the gears in one of the axles to match the other.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:01 PM
Austinnbole
New User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
You will need the front spacers, wheels, rear fenders and the rear axle. You will probably have to change the gears in one of the axles to match the other.
Any idea where I would get these items?
And how would I connect the wheels together in the rear?

Old 12-10-2015, 06:19 PM
2001F350dualwheel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 212 Likes on 165 Posts
Hit up a junkyard.
Find a wrecked one with blown motor or trans buy the whole truck put your axles under it and sell it off to someone else.
Find someone who is looking to single wheel his truck and trade

Old 12-10-2015, 07:16 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You will have to find a F350 pickup to do the swap. the chassis cab frame widths are different so your spring perches won't line up.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:34 PM
Thor'sHammer
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Last time I measured, you can install dual rear wheels on the Sterling axle and use the dually fenders. The fronts just need the adapters installed to accommodate the dually wheels.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:26 AM
Austinnbole
New User
Originally Posted by Thor'sHammer
Last time I measured, you can install dual rear wheels on the Sterling axle and use the dually fenders. The fronts just need the adapters installed to accommodate the dually wheels.
Okay cool, thank you all for the help and information! Why does the front need an adapter? My rims are kind of deep dish but still strong enough to handle hauling, so I was thinking about just buying 2 more 35" toyos and 2 more of the same rims and trying to just use a connector to connect them to the rear wheels that I have now! Is that a possibility? I uploaded some pictures so you could see what I'm working with.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:28 AM
Austinnbole
New User
And if at all possible, I was hoping of keeping the same rims just making it a Dually

Old 12-11-2015, 08:51 AM
NotURMailman
Senior User
I am still seriously toying with the idea of doing this to my 2wd truck.
Still trying to decide if I should try to put dually fenders on my SRW bed or get a dually bed.
If that goes well I will strongly consider doing a 4wd conversion.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:45 AM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Thor'sHammer

1999 to 2004 you could bolt dually wheels on and SRW axle. If they would clear the brakes I don't know. The OP's truck is a 2008+. In 2005 they switched the dually to 8 on 200 Vs. 8 on 170 for SRW.

Originally Posted by Austinnbole
Okay cool, thank you all for the help and information! Why does the front need an adapter? My rims are kind of deep dish but still strong enough to handle hauling, so I was thinking about just buying 2 more 35" toyos and 2 more of the same rims and trying to just use a connector to connect them to the rear wheels that I have now! Is that a possibility? I uploaded some pictures so you could see what I'm working with.

The front needs an adapter to run the standard dually wheel so that it will clear the brakes, and allow the truck to only need one spare. Is the bolt pattern on the unit bearing 8 on 170 still on the 2005 plus dually? I don't know, but it would need to be figured out if you can just bolt the dually adapter on the SRW axle without a unit bearing swap.

You can't use your existing wheels in the back. There needs to be a flat machined surface on each wheel to bolt them together. You could leave the fronts as they are, but then you'd need 2 spares, and to try to match the wheels to something in a dually variety, which is doubtful.

If you really want to do it the easiest way is to trade the truck for a dually. If you really want to keep your truck and convert it, track down a donor dually and swap the complete rear axle to yours. You may just need to swap spacers on to make the front work, but swapping the complete axle would likely be best as the gear ratios probably won't match.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:06 AM
Austinnbole
New User
Originally Posted by Ferguson65
1999 to 2004 you could bolt dually wheels on and SRW axle. If they would clear the brakes I don't know. The OP's truck is a 2008+. In 2005 they switched the dually to 8 on 200 Vs. 8 on 170 for SRW.

The front needs an adapter to run the standard dually wheel so that it will clear the brakes, and allow the truck to only need one spare. Is the bolt pattern on the unit bearing 8 on 170 still on the 2005 plus dually? I don't know, but it would need to be figured out if you can just bolt the dually adapter on the SRW axle without a unit bearing swap.

You can't use your existing wheels in the back. There needs to be a flat machined surface on each wheel to bolt them together. You could leave the fronts as they are, but then you'd need 2 spares, and to try to match the wheels to something in a dually variety, which is doubtful.

If you really want to do it the easiest way is to trade the truck for a dually. If you really want to keep your truck and convert it, track down a donor dually and swap the complete rear axle to yours. You may just need to swap spacers on to make the front work, but swapping the complete axle would likely be best as the gear ratios probably won't match.
Okay that makes sense. I found on arrowcraft they sell an adapter that connects onto the factory Dually wheel so I was thinking about buying the factory Dually wheels for the inside and then using my after market rims on the outside to make it look like both rims are aftermarket. Idk if this would work?

Old 12-11-2015, 10:32 AM
2001F350dualwheel
Fleet Mechanic
Okay that makes sense. I found on arrowcraft they sell an adapter that connects onto the factory Dually wheel so I was thinking about buying the factory Dually wheels for the inside and then using my after market rims on the outside to make it look like both rims are aftermarket. Idk if this would work?
No that won't work in the traditional sense. The wheels you have now don't have the correct offset/backspacing to add another wheel inside. You would need to bolt a inner dually wheel that's the same wheel size as your current wheel on the inside. S o if you have 18 inch wheels you would need a 18 inch dually wheel. Dually wheels are narrower than your current wheel also.
Then get custom width spacers built to place in between the inner dually wheel and your current wheel. Then bolt your wheel on the spacer. Your tires stick out a lot now. They will be way more stuck out after the conversion.
Your truck looks great. I wouldn't mess with it. I don't know if I would ever do something like that just for a dually look. Just get dually wheels and the 2 inch hubcentric spacer everyone runs

Old 12-11-2015, 04:36 PM
Austinnbole
New User
Originally Posted by 2001F350dualwheel
No that won't work in the traditional sense. The wheels you have now don't have the correct offset/backspacing to add another wheel inside. You would need to bolt a inner dually wheel that's the same wheel size as your current wheel on the inside. S o if you have 18 inch wheels you would need a 18 inch dually wheel. Dually wheels are narrower than your current wheel also.
Then get custom width spacers built to place in between the inner dually wheel and your current wheel. Then bolt your wheel on the spacer. Your tires stick out a lot now. They will be way more stuck out after the conversion.
Your truck looks great. I wouldn't mess with it. I don't know if I would ever do something like that just for a dually look. Just get dually wheels and the 2 inch hubcentric spacer everyone runs
How do you put the hubcentric on?

Old 12-11-2015, 06:54 PM
2001F350dualwheel
Fleet Mechanic
How do you put the hubcentric on?

Same way you do a dually spacer. Seriously If you're gonna dual wheel your truck go get real dually wheels and the required spacers fenders etc. Otherwise IMO you're just asking for issues. You're trying to make something work that really shouldn't be done. I said IMO I would leave your truck alone. It's a nice truck

What's the reason to dually the truck?

Old 12-11-2015, 08:14 PM
Austinnbole
New User
Originally Posted by 2001F350dualwheel
Same way you do a dually spacer. Seriously If you're gonna dual wheel your truck go get real dually wheels and the required spacers fenders etc. Otherwise IMO you're just asking for issues. You're trying to make something work that really shouldn't be done. I said IMO I would leave your truck alone. It's a nice truck

What's the reason to dually the truck?
Thank you, I really want a Dually just because it looks dope as hell. And all I want is to have stock Dually rims on the inner and my after markets on the outer.

Quick Reply: Single to Dually Conversion