1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

No CEL no crank 97 Expy 5.4l auto trans 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 01:02 PM
msp252
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked:
~ Theft Light not blinking
~Turned engine over by hand
~Starter. Manualy powered it with jumpers and it was non functional. Replaced
~Starter relay on firewall. Supplied power to relay trigger and it tries to start so the relay is good.
~Tested for power at relay trigger wire when key is in start position, no power.
~Pulled all fuses to check continuity, all under hood were ok, under dash Fuse #6 a 5 Amp was blown, #21 a 15 Amp was blown #30 a 30 Amp was blown. Replaced all fuses necessary, but no CEL/Service Engine Light
~These fuses all have voltage in run under hood #19 20 Amp (fuel pump relay), under hood #24 30 Amp (PCM power relay), under dash #30 30 Amp (PCM Power Diode)
~PCM Power Diode has full battery voltage power coming in on the right terminal the Diode itself read continuity from right to left and OL from left to right in Run
~Checked the EEC/PCM Relay and Fuel Relay by swapping into the horns location and trying the horn, I can also feel the EEC relay and Fuel Relay click in Run, and when I get down by the tank I can hear the fuel pump prime
~Ensured trans in park and tried neutral and wiggling the steering column.
~Tested for power at fuel injectors and coils. Verified
~I plugged in XCal 3 and it can read the code p1000 from the EEC
~I cannot get the CEL to come on while its key on engine off not cranking

- I am going to pull the Gauge cluster to check the CEL bulb but I’m not thinking it’s that, when I replaced all the fuses the 4x4 light and other lights in the bottom corner came on except the CEL.
-Is there an easy way to check the stater interrupt relay, would it cause the CEL to not come on at all?
-I want to check the Digital Trans Range Sensor but need to know the wire color for voltage in from the the ignition switch, and the wire color coming out to the relay, would it cause the CEL to not come on at all?
-Besides checking voltage to one side of the Crank Position Sensor connector is there a way to test the sensor itself by reading the resistance or something?
-What else could cause the Service Engine Light to not come one, do I need a new EEC or DTRS, or is there more troubleshooting I can do to narrow this down?
-Is there a better way to verify EEC voltage and ground besides back probing the EEC connector stuck up in the dash?

If anyone would please get me the necessary Wiring Diagrams from an EVTM that would be much appreciated, I have the chipped keys and the theft light does not flash when key is on.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:27 PM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try this, hold the key in START, then run the gear selector from P through 1. I've had cases where the DTR switch on the tranny was so out of whack it started in R or D rather than N or P...

Old 12-07-2015, 01:50 PM
msp252
New User
Ok I'll try that tonight, and ill pop the cable off the lever on the transmission itself and try every position.

Would the DTRS cause my no CEL at all?

Old 12-07-2015, 02:14 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by msp252
~Tested for power at relay trigger wire when key is in start position, no power.

-I want to check the Digital Trans Range Sensor but need to know the wire color for voltage in from the the ignition switch, and the wire color coming out to the relay

Fuse #20 (50A)
light green/pink
to ignition switch

Then red/light blue
to fuse #21 (15A)

Then dark blue/orange
to DTR sensor.

Then tan/red
to starter relay on the fire wall.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:32 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
-Is there an easy way to check the stater interrupt relay, would it cause the CEL to not come on at all?
The 97 Expy does not have a starter interrupt relay, at least from the factory. Verify no after-market anti-theft devices are installed.

~ Theft Light not blinking
PATS wont cause a "No Crank" on a 97 Expy.

Starter relay on firewall. Supplied power to relay trigger and it tries to start so the relay is good.
What do you mean by "tries to start"? If the starter, battery, and cables are all good, the engine should crank normally and, if the ignition switch is in RUN, actually start.

I plugged in XCal 3 and it can read the code p1000 from the EEC
Good, that means the PCM is powered up.

~I cannot get the CEL to come on while its key on engine off not cranking
Check the bulb.

-Is there a better way to verify EEC voltage and ground besides back probing the EEC connector stuck up in the dash?
The Xcal3 says it's powered up. Believe it.

#21 a 15 Amp was blown #30 a 30 Amp was blown. Replaced all fuses necessary, but no CEL/Service Engine Light
Neither fuse has anything to do with the CEL. However, you'd better figure out why F21 was blown since the engine won't crank with it open. F30, when open, will keep the engine from working as the coils are on that fused circuit.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:13 PM
msp252
New User
Originally Posted by Skauber
Try this, hold the key in START, then run the gear selector from P through 1. I've had cases where the DTR switch on the tranny was so out of whack it started in R or D rather than N or P...
Nothing different in any position, and no CEL

Originally Posted by pdqford
Fuse #20 (50A)
light green/pink
to ignition switch
fuse #20 has13v and is HOT at ALL times
checked the light green/pink wire there is none
there are two green\purple that do get power
red/light blue wire has no power from the switch

Then red/light blue
to fuse #21 (15A)
no power on under dash fuse #21 .60 on left terminal .09 on right

Then dark blue/orange
to DTR sensor.
it looks as if the previous owner ran a wire from the red/light blue wire from the switch directly to the dark blue/orange wire at the DTRS connector and cut it there and spliced there's in bypassing fuse #21

Then tan/red
to starter relay on the fire wall.
no power

Originally Posted by projectSHO89
The 97 Expy does not have a starter interrupt relay, at least from the factory. Verify no after-market anti-theft devices are installed.
Great no aftermarket installed anti-theft unit can be found

PATS wont cause a "No Crank" on a 97 Expy.
i know this just putting out there

What do you mean by "tries to start"? If the starter, battery, and cables are all good, the engine should crank normally and, if the ignition switch is in RUN, actually start.
as long as i have a jumper from the positive battery post to the little relay input at the middle at the top it'll turn over, as soon as I let go the truck stalls

Good, that means the PCM is powered up.
Good news

Check the bulb.
I will thursday

The Xcal3 says it's powered up. Believe it.
ok good good

Neither fuse has anything to do with the CEL. However, you'd better figure out why F21 was blown since the engine won't crank with it open. F30, when open, will keep the engine from working as the coils are on that fused circuit.
F21 can't blow again no power F30 is not open anymore and has voltage in run

Old 12-07-2015, 11:18 PM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Did it ever run in your possession, or did you just buy it in a non-working condition? Sounds like there's some hack job from the previous owner, I'll do you a solid. I have a 96-99 factory shop manual DVD in an iso file on my dropbox, I'll mail you a link. Be quick to download it though, the link expires in 6 or 7 days.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:20 AM
msp252
New User
Did it ever run in your possession, or did you just buy it in a non-working condition? Sounds like there's some hack job from the previous owner, I'll do you a solid. I have a 96-99 factory shop manual DVD in an iso file on my dropbox, I'll mail you a link. Be quick to download it though, the link expires in 6 or 7 days.
Exactly, please yes I thank you I'll download it today!

Old 12-08-2015, 07:36 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
as long as i have a jumper from the positive battery post to the little relay input at the middle at the top it'll turn over, as soon as I let go the truck stalls
Please clarify what that means. Avoid using the term "turn over" as that's a pastry (ymmmm!) but it is not precise when referring to the operation of an engine and trying to convey what is being obvserved.

no power on under dash fuse #21 .60 on left terminal .09 on right
F21 is HOT IN START only. It's un-powered at all other times.

red/light blue wire has no power from the switch
There are two R/LB wires on the ignition switch. One is HOT IN START only. It's unpowered at all other times. The other HOT IN RUN only. They are on different fused circuits and perform different functions.

F30 is not open anymore and has voltage in run
It should be HOT IN START OR RUN.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:01 AM
msp252
New User
Yes please, I thank you so much, I'll download it today! Do I need to PM you somehow with my email?

Old 12-08-2015, 10:39 AM
msp252
New User
No it hasn’t, that’s how I got it. Yes, please, I would appreciate that very much, thank you! I’ll download it ASAP, how would you mail it to me? Do I need to PM my email?

Please clarify what that means. Avoid using the term "turn over" as that's a pastry (ymmmm!) but it is not precise when referring to the operation of an engine and trying to convey what is being obvserved.
it seems as if the starter is the only thing keeping the engine moving, and the first time I put the new starter in and jumped the positive cable to the starter relay signal post the engine sounded like it started , then it sounded like a shotgun went off. Every time since it seems as if the engine is running, until the starter signal post jumper is released.

F21 is HOT IN START only. It's un-powered at all other times.
Will check the START position tonight

There are two R/LB wires on the ignition switch. One is HOT IN START only. It's unpowered at all other times. The other HOT IN RUN only. They are on different fused circuits and perform different functions.
I don’t have two of these just one, I do have a red/black, I’m guessing the red/lt blue is HOT in START and the red/black is HOT in RUN, I’ll check this tonight as well

It should be HOT IN START OR RUN.
will check in start

Old 12-08-2015, 10:50 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
No it hasn’t, that’s how I got it. Yes, please, I would appreciate that very much, thank you! I’ll download it ASAP, how would you mail it to me? Do I need to PM my email?

Yes please, send me a mail address through PM such, it seems that I am not able to PM you..

Old 12-08-2015, 11:20 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Once you have the EVTM, it will be a lot easier for you to follow our troubleshooting logic, just like a road map helps a lot when you're driving through an area for the first time.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:24 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Link for the factory service manual has been sent.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:08 PM
alloro
Received 4,198 Likes on 2,433 Posts
it looks as if the previous owner ran a wire from the red/light blue wire from the switch directly to the dark blue/orange wire at the DTRS connector and cut it there and spliced there's in bypassing fuse #21
That dark blue/orange wire is the circuit that passes through the DTR (neutral safety switch) section to eventually power the starter relay. If the DB/OG wire has no power on it then you have to trace it back to find out why not.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: No CEL no crank 97 Expy 5.4l auto trans 4x4