1957 F250

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 09:47 PM
MT Pockets
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1957 F250

Hello Everyone,

I've aquired a new project for my Son and I. We stopped at the local feed store back in August and saw a lonely headlight peeking out of one of the several barns that are on this property and my 8yr old son couldn't help himself to go have a look while i was loading up with hog chow. The owner noticed his curiosity so we all went to have a look. Turns out it is the '57 F250 that the owner of the mill's grandfather bought many moons ago. This truck was used to deliver feed back in the day. Grandfather has been with Jesus for a long time now and the truck just sat in the old barn since.

A terrible wind storm blew the barn down on top of the truck a couple of years ago and it is worse for the wear but I liked the story of the truck and we agreed on a price. My little guy and I finally have started the disassembly and I dont think the cab can be salvaged as the top is crushed in pretty bad and the floors are really rough. We live in Wisconsin where salt is a double edged sword. Great for keeping roads safe but not so friendly to mild steel.

At any rate I'm looking for a good cab. If any of you fine folks know of one for sale please let me know. Had I known at the time how tough it is to find parts for this year class of Fords I might have passed on the deal but I'm all in now.

I've perused many of the posts on this forum and I applaud the nice work you folks have done on your projects and especially the forum itself. Lots of useful info here.

Thanks guys,

Brad

Old 12-06-2015, 10:47 AM
Grinchman
Freshman User
Welcome Brad. I was in a similar position as you. I live south of you in IL, so I know about the salt thing. I started to rebuild a 1957 f100 and found the cab was rusted to bad to fix. I looked for a cab and found a few from AZ. But a long story short, I just bought a whole truck with a good cab. Down the road I was going to put a stepside bed on it ,the truck I bought had a stepside bed, so that help me justify the price of another truck.

If the bottom part of the cab is good shape you might be able to replace the top of the cab, just another thought.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:54 AM
MT Pockets
New User
Hi Grinchman,

The floors are really bad which is making me think that it is a lost cause. That is unfortunate because we have a '59 F500 dump truck here on the farm that is smooth wore out but it has a good top. Who knows maybe I'll end up having to go that route and do a ton of metal work to the floors. I'm not looking to build a show winner but rather a good dependable daily driver that will get looks when it's pulling a stock trailer full of hogs to market.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:22 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forum! What a great project for Dad and son! I would keep an eye on the Southwest, sales spots like craigslist and the like. Not too much road salt down here in the desert.
Good luck in your quest!

Old 12-07-2015, 07:49 AM
manglass
More Turbo
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Look in the South, or the Southwest for a good cab or a cheap truck with a good cab. Otherwise, the cab you already have with the good roof might be your answer. Most of the lower cab sheet metal (the parts that rust out) is reproduced and available.

Lou Manglass

Old 12-07-2015, 03:40 PM
MT Pockets
New User
Theodore/teddy,

It is indeed a great project for us. He's on me everyday to go out and work on the pickup truck. Things like this are great teaching moments for both of us. Thankfully he has a lot of me in him and loves the wrench. He really blows me away on how he can look at a piece of equipment and figure out how it works. Did I mention that he's 8 and I couldn't be prouder of him.

manglass,

Where is your favorite place to find the patch panels and such that I'll likely need? I've not really looked that hard for repair panels in the hopes that I can score a good cab.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:21 PM
manglass
More Turbo
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I tried to find the contact info for the company I purchased mine from, but couldn't.

LMC truck seems to have everything you might need up to, and including, a full floor pan. The only common rust-out area I don't see is the door jamb by the lower door hinge. These panels typically don't fit that well so be prepared to massage them into place. You really don't have much choice. I bought some of the last N.O.S. parts in the late 70's early 80's. If you have any contacts in Brazil, our body style was made there for many years after 1960.

Lou Manglass

Old 12-09-2015, 07:04 AM
Rogue427
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SW Wisconsin

Hi, I just moved to Stoughton Wisconsin.
What part of SW Wisconsin are you in?
Hoping to get my 59 next week.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:10 PM
MT Pockets
New User
'bout 30 minutes west of Monroe. I can be in Stoughton in about an hour.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:48 PM
MT Pockets
New User
Pics are always nice. Here's just a couple

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...1&d=1449712026

Attached Images   
Old 12-10-2015, 02:05 PM
Rogue427
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Project.

Its a keeper.
Good father son time.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:48 AM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome MT, thats a sweet looking 57. I will add a word of caution. Years ago I bought a father/son project. Then another, and another, and another and another. Plus half a dozen donor trucks. A few trips to IOLA. Countless auctions. Another building. You get the idea. Don't say you haven't been warned. It has been a great ride........enjoy yours with your son!

Old 12-11-2015, 11:05 AM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by thundersnow70
Welcome MT, thats a sweet looking 57. I will add a word of caution. Years ago I bought a father/son project. Then another, and another, and another and another. Plus half a dozen donor trucks. A few trips to IOLA. Countless auctions. Another building. You get the idea. Don't say you haven't been warned. It has been a great ride........enjoy yours with your son!
Mark, that is what I would call living the dream!

Old 12-11-2015, 03:22 PM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by theodore/teddy
Mark, that is what I would call living the dream!
LOL, Yea most times its a dream Wally. Sometimes a nightmare.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:35 PM
MT Pockets
New User
Thanks guys,

He's already on me. "when we get this done we need to work on Grandpa's old tractor". He spies every truck and tractor from here to Timbuktu that is tucked away in the weeds or behind an old barn. I'm not complaining because he found a late 40's early 50's delivery van just the other day. At first glance it looks rough as a cob but who knows???? First things first I got to finish the '57 and the Farmall before we make Mama crazy with another project.

Quick Reply: 1957 F250