Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2016 F-150 Regular Cab

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 02:39 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 F-150 Regular Cab

After waiting all last year for the mythical unicorn, the Regular cab F-150; I finally saw one yesterday at a dealer. It was the only dealer in my area, and they only had one in stock. I stopped in because I only wanted to see how much space is available for storage behind the seats for tool boxes and the other necessities that we all carry in our trucks. I have to say that I came away very disappointed.
I knew going in that it wasn't going to have as much space as my 2006 RC, which is almost like a cab and a half. The 11th gen RC trucks had the rear-opening half doors and have a lot of space back there, and was one of the things that really sold me on that truck. This is my only vehicle so I have used every inch of that space and then some. It looks like on my next one I may have to bite the bullet and get a Supercab. I really didn't want to, but the RC just does not have the space to meet my needs. Also the SC adds a couple thousand to the price.
Of course when I told the salesman that I was not going to be buying that truck right then, that I only wanted to see the available space behind the seats, he was a lot less interested in helping me. Gee, I wonder why? The model they had was a short bed, with the base 3.5 engine and 4x4. I told him that's not at all what I'm interested in. I'd be looking for an 8 footer with at least a 2.7 EB and 4x2. Although it was a Blue Jeans XL with the 101A/Chrome package. It did look nice. Besides that I never even took it for a drive or started the engine.
What are anyone else's thoughts on the new RC model? Do you agree that Ford could have given us a few more inches of space back there? What space is available behind the passenger seat is taken up by the jack assembly. To be honest, it reminds me of a RC Ranger, how little space is available behind the seats. I adjusted the driver's seat to where I was comfortable, and went off of that.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:08 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Aside from that one generation of trucks, I don't think it's been very common for regular cab trucks to have much storage behind the seat. Not from Ford, and not from anyone else.
Folks who want to store things behind the seat buy the supercab. That's been the general rule that I go by.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:12 PM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I think that the supercab is becoming the new de facto regular cab truck, tradesmen more frequently go to this truck because of dry storage and security issues, the 8' bed is becoming a thing of the past too, yes you still see them, but in fewer and fewer numbers.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:17 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
I bought the Scab because my kids are basically grown and gone. I didn't feel the need to spend an additional 3K for an Screw and an Screw with a 6.5' bed is a big truck.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:34 AM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 09-14 Has huge room behind the seats too. They made the doors longer than the 04-08's eliminating the need for the tiny doors. My wife and I can get both our carry on bags and a cooler for the road behind the seat of my 13 RC.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:30 PM
tomfiii
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since when did rc"s have little doors ,sounds like an extended cab.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:44 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by tomfiii
Since when did rc"s have little doors ,sounds like an extended cab.
Since the '04-'08 generation. Thought we covered this.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:53 PM
tomfiii
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't pay attention to those model years 150.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:02 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I believe those are the only regular cab pickups ever produced with a set of rear doors. Lots of folks liked them, but like the SuperCab they can be prone to rattling and alignment issues.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:04 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
he was a lot less interested in helping me. Gee, I wonder why?
Because we don't make a living off people who want 10 year old models brand new? It's like coming to the showroom and insisting on information on the new Ranger. We are mostly 100% commission, so you took someones paycheck and moved them to the back of the line waiting for an actual customer. Maybe there is a better way (probably not), but that's why.

If the price between RC and SCAB was so much closer last time you bought a truck, it's because of the cost of the extra doors on that generations "regular cab". An expensive RC might entice a few folks, but it alienates most traditional RC purchasers.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:59 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Tom
I believe those are the only regular cab pickups ever produced with a set of rear doors. Lots of folks liked them, but like the SuperCab they can be prone to rattling and alignment issues.

The only time I get any rattling out of mine is on an extremely rough road, like an old brick-lined road. My rear doors are still perfectly aligned, and my truck will be 10 years old in March. I've worked it, too. I have never been afraid to work it hard, because that's what I bought it for. The only issue I have is the rear doors don't always close tight unless I give them a good thud. When I do close them, I always double check just by tuggin' on them real quick. I rarely have a problem, though. It's held up great!

Old 12-07-2015, 05:32 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
I hear what you guys are saying about most buyers buying the SC model now, and the RC model not selling all that well. After seeing the 2016 F-150 RC, I can see why. I guess what disappoints me is that if Ford could give the buyers of the 2004-2008 and 2009-2014 RC models a generous amount of space in there, then why go backwards? Not everyone wants the SC or Screw, nor does every buyer want to pay the $4,000 difference between the RC and SC model. However, those of us who want the RC should still be able to buy a useful truck. My 2006 RC is the most useful vehicle I've ever owned. I feel like the 2016 RC took a giant leap backwards by about 20 years!

I did a build and price today on a 2016 F-150 SC/LB with a 2.7 EB/4x2 XL 101A and it came to almost $5,000 more than a comparable RC/LB. That extra $5k equals a huge jump in monthly payments, and for me would mean the difference between buying a new truck and a used truck. Ford's not making as much money off of a used truck. Not to mention a SC/LB gets to be moose of a truck to wheel around every day, especially in the city. Like I've said before in other forums, I like having the 8' bed. I've had it now for 10 years and can't imagine not having it. I look at a short bed truck, and it just looks too small to me now.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:15 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Does anyone remember the price difference between a RC and SC back when the RC has the doors? I'll bet it was a smaller percentage increase, and leaving our RC cabs noncompetitive to the general market. In reality it probably did little to get market share from Ram and Chevy, but plenty of folks who otherwise would have gotten an SC were well enough off with the RC. Market wise I would find it hard to justify, I'm surprised they ever tried it.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:44 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Plus, it looked goofy.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
I do not remember the pricing difference between the two cab styles. I still have all of the dealer literature from when I bought my truck nearly 10 years ago, but of course that wouldn't have prices. I do agree though that with the half doors, the RC model probably would have suit the needs of most buyers perfectly fine. I don't understand either why it did not sell any better except maybe too many people confused it with the SC, and were probably confused at what it was trying to be. Other buyers probably were just accustomed to buying the SC that that's what they continued to buy. Could be several reasons why the 04-08 RC didn't sell better than it did. I do remember that Ford marketed the hell out of it, though!
I will say that for me personally, the rear half-doors have been the one of the most useful features on that truck. Would I have still bought the truck without it? Probably. But that and the hydraulic assist on the tailgate hinges just makes that truck so practical that even after 10 years I can't help but admire the thoughtful engineering that went into it. Just yesterday, I brought home a new flat-screen TV set in my truck. It was a 32" still in the box, and it fit perfectly behind the seats. The 2016 model, I would have had to borrow somebody's sedan. I wouldn't want to put that in the bed of the truck and risk it getting damaged in any way.
By the way, I've already decided that when I do buy a new truck, I'm keeping my 2006. I still like it now just as much as I did nearly 10 years ago when I first took delivery of it at the dealership. But I have to admit though that the 2015+ is superior in every other way to my '06 except for the storage space in the RC model. It works harder, rides nicer, gets better fuel economy, is more comfortable, more intuitive, etc... I do wish it came with a manual transmission, but that's purely a personal opinion. I understand that manuals just are not selling well, even in the trucks where they are available.