1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1955 F100 Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 08:02 PM
SDBerg55
Cross-Country
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
1955 F100 Build

Hello FTE Members,
Before I get started I must admit, this is my first restoration project. I've always had this wild idea that one day I'd find the perfect project truck and it would be a breeze to clean up; slap some paint on it, throw some new rims and whala!
It turns out the ideal truck came much sooner than I had imagined, which is awesome, right? The plan was to park it until I have a solid POA for the build. 3 months later I find that there isn't a day that goes by since the purchase that I don't look up replacement parts, suggestions on aftermarket frames, suspension threads, etc. I couldn't resist and decided to dive in.

Any suggestions are welcomed and encouraged. Thanks in advance to all that provide insight!

Old 12-04-2015, 08:09 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,135 Likes on 2,657 Posts
Looks like you found a pretty solid start to one, at least you are in the States where the parts are cheap.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:20 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Welcome to FTE, Berg! This is the best Ford Truck forum on the World Wide Web!

When I started to restore my 54 16 years ago, which I bought in 1977, I would not be able to sleep and would come downstairs and page through catalogs and highlight parts I needed.

Keepusup tondatebwith pics and of course questions.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:43 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

Looks like you have a great helper there too.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:31 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Welcome to the forum! 55 is my favorite year even though mine is a 53. My daughter was about that age when I began my project and she helped me too. Actually just removed a ten year old tricycle scratch the other day.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:47 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE. You mention an "after market frame". It looks like you're thinking about doing a pretty serious modification, and not a a stock restoration.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:48 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Welcome! More important than our ideas are yours. What kind of truck are you looking to own: stock, retsomod, darksider?

Glad to see you hired good help.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:08 AM
SDBerg55
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by jvmcc
Welcome to FTE. You mention an "after market frame". It looks like you're thinking about doing a pretty serious modification, and not a a stock restoration.
"Thinking" being the key word. I've read many threads about on here about when to choose a complete aftermarket setup and I'm still on the fence. I'm sure there are many threads that I've missed as well so I apologize if this is a repeat topic.
At this point, the two companies that I've contacted about frames are:
1.) Progressive Automotive in OH.
2.) TCI

My current frame seems to be in decent shape (have not had it blasted yet) but the thought that keeps running through my mind is, "If I keep the stock frame and add a 4-link with upwards of 400hp in the new engine, won't that cause stress points throughout the frame beyond the 'new' suspension hardware?"

If I'm going to take this journey of restoring and investing my money shouldn't it be done right? Or am I over thinking it? Maybe my Type A personality is surfacing too early. Does anyone have any insight into the frame decision? Pros vs Cons etc.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:21 AM
SDBerg55
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
Welcome! More important than our ideas are yours. What kind of truck are you looking to own: stock, retsomod, darksider?

Glad to see you hired good help.
Good help indeed! My niece insisted on showing me how to drive when I was cleaning out 30yrs of mouse droppings. How she was able to smile instead of gag in that confined area, I'll never know...

My ideas for this build stem from an old '95 Mustang I bought when I was 15. After many mowed lawns and flipped pizzas I handed the owner of the Mustang 12k in cash.

F100 Ideas:
- Aftermarket frame (still deciding)
- 4-Link
- 9" w/ 3.50's
- Disc brakes all around
- Rear mounted tank
- Engine (open to ideas)
- Manual transmission (like my old Stang)
- Stock fenders all around
- Tubbed rear wells

Those are just a few of the ideas that are bouncing around. I'm guessing that makes me a restomod'r??

Old 12-05-2015, 11:35 AM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
Looks like you have a solid foundation to start with there. As far as suggestion on frame, I can only speak as to what I would do and am sure you will get many. My suggestion would be to put a Mustang II up front fatman comes to mind here, four bar with coils on rear, N0-Limit engineering fat bars. I would box the frame.

My biggest piece of advice would be to locate and preserve the Serial Identification numbers, located on the inside of the glove box door and stamped on the passenger side top of frame just forward of the front cab mount.

Gerry

Old 12-06-2015, 09:40 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Welcome to the asylum! Your story is like SO many others here, a good starter project, a little elbow grease, and a few trips to the chrome shop and the truck is a family heirloom. The devil is indeed in the details, and when you have the madness the devil runs rampant. The good news is that you are in good company! There are a few on this forum who have the wherewithal to finance almost any truck part, for them there is no hope...the majority have limited budgets and therefore have a governor to hold us back from wild a$$ purchases which will later be replaced by an even wilder purchase. And then there are others who are married!
Here is the gist...don't overthink this journey. Make a determination in your own mind of what you want in a truck and go with that goal. If you ever watch Chip Foose on TV you will see that he makes an artist rendition of the project FIRST, and then every step after moves him closer to that goal. Not everybody is Chip Foose, but you can place your focus more on the requirements side of the process than the solutions side...what is it that you want in your final truck, then decide what pieces you need to build it.
Now that the logic is in place sit back and enjoy the ride that all the upcoming emotional decisions will take you on...oh yeah, hold on to your wallet!

Old 12-06-2015, 05:24 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good looking truck. Here's a pic of my no limit 4 link. I also used mustang 2. Kept stock frame, stiffened it up by boxing front and rear, and beefed up transmission area also

Originally Posted by SDBerg55
Good help indeed! My niece insisted on showing me how to drive when I was cleaning out 30yrs of mouse droppings. How she was able to smile instead of gag in that confined area, I'll never know...

My ideas for this build stem from an old '95 Mustang I bought when I was 15. After many mowed lawns and flipped pizzas I handed the owner of the Mustang 12k in cash.

F100 Ideas:
- Aftermarket frame (still deciding)
- 4-Link
- 9" w/ 3.50's
- Disc brakes all around
- Rear mounted tank
- Engine (open to ideas)
- Manual transmission (like my old Stang)
- Stock fenders all around
- Tubbed rear wells

Those are just a few of the ideas that are bouncing around. I'm guessing that makes me a restomod'r??

Old 11-05-2017, 08:42 AM
SDBerg55
Cross-Country

Redneck lift.

Homemade wheel dolly.

After 2 years and 4 months, finally have it at my new place.

It made me wonder where time goes when I noticed my last posts were almost 2 YEARS AGO!! After relocating, saving project funds, and setting up my new spot I've finally been able to bring the truck from my parents place. Parents are the best, right?

Old 11-05-2017, 12:16 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Welcome back, Berg 55! Nice garage you got there, plenty of room, well lit, clean, and you brought the street closed sign with you.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:19 AM
SDBerg55
Cross-Country
I figured I’d post a progress report since my trend is to wait 2 years in between updates. I realize I’m still a long ways away from driving down the road, but after today I feel like I’ve reached another, more enjoyable, phase. The cab has been blasted and the gentleman that did the work said the replacement panels were done well, which is always nice to hear as a first timer.

Thankfully it has been a mild winter because our vehicles have been overtaken by panels, parts, etc.

Quick Reply: 1955 F100 Build