Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

93 7.3 IDI build

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 09:56 PM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Leroy Unlisted
yea .. i've had several of those little flux welders ..

they've all laid spitty junk welds .. not strong at all .. but they're small and portable so i sometimes would drag them out on an extension cord and zap a spot weld .. to hold something in place long enough to drag it over to the mig ..

but no .. i tried a few welds for strength .. and they all fail .. easily no strength to em' at all .. if i were filling a hole .. maybe .. but still .. no .. i would get on my miller .. don't weld with a gas-less flux wire welder if you or anyone's life depends on it ..

i wouldn't trust a flux welder to hold down a mailbox .. but .. to each their own ..

gave away the last one i had because it just collected dust ..

also you'r right about co2 & argon .. i can never remember what i have out there in the tank .. but i looked and it's 75%argon 25%co2 .. and it works for me ..

yea i knew a guy who had a hobart on a straight co2 bottle

lol .. he was always reeling out wire and when it ran it would spit like bacon sizzling ..

but i do digress .. i'm clogging up idioits nice build thread with ramblings ..

nice paint .. i'm really digging your build .. deffinetly one of my favorites ... i heart the 6 door .. looks so cool but i would keep it going and drop a bronco back end on there .. i do like the truck alot .. gonna be a beast ..
a flux type of welding has its place, and used correctly an inner sheild, will do the trick.

but they dont come from horrible freight for 99.99

BUT WAIT THATS NOT ALL,
IF YOU ORDER NOW WE WILL THROW IN YOUR GROUND CLAMP ATTACHED TO THE POSITIVE SIDE!

Old 05-13-2016, 10:27 PM
PlumCrazy7
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That looks like a nice gun, do you have any complaints? I got quoted $375 to patch an ext. cab panel and would rather invest in tools to do it myself. A good gun for

Old 05-13-2016, 11:01 PM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
the only complaint is that its not self cleaning.

works great for high build primer, and base.
i wouldnt shoot clear or flake with it.

i have no quams on spending decent money on tools.
they do last, and youre only as good as your equipment.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:21 PM
JTC19
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is seriously awesome! subscribing

Old 05-13-2016, 11:22 PM
ametzker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leroy Unlisted
yea .. i've had several of those little flux welders ..

they've all laid spitty junk welds .. not strong at all .. but they're small and portable so i sometimes would drag them out on an extension cord and zap a spot weld .. to hold something in place long enough to drag it over to the mig ..

but no .. i tried a few welds for strength .. and they all fail .. easily no strength to em' at all .. if i were filling a hole .. maybe .. but still .. no .. i would get on my miller .. don't weld with a gas-less flux wire welder if you or anyone's life depends on it ..

i wouldn't trust a flux welder to hold down a mailbox .. but .. to each their own ..

gave away the last one i had because it just collected dust ..

also you'r right about co2 & argon .. i can never remember what i have out there in the tank .. but i looked and it's 75%argon 25%co2 .. and it works for me ..

yea i knew a guy who had a hobart on a straight co2 bottle

lol .. he was always reeling out wire and when it ran it would spit like bacon sizzling ..

but i do digress .. i'm clogging up idioits nice build thread with ramblings ..

nice paint .. i'm really digging your build .. deffinetly one of my favorites ... i heart the 6 door .. looks so cool but i would keep it going and drop a bronco back end on there .. i do like the truck alot .. gonna be a beast ..

Well I guess If you're a bad welder it doesn't matter what you use....I have welded down engine mounts for my cummins swap and hauled 15k-20k cross country with no problems. It's not the prettiest welds but it will hold if you got the right heat to it. In the end its just heat that melds metal together. Don't get to caught up in the brand that does it.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:47 PM
Leroy Unlisted
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hahahahhhaaaa ..

your seriously welded engine mounts with a flux welder ?!?! ..

good luck when your engine falls out of a wheel well >> haha

really there's just 2 names in the game for serious welding lincoln or miller ..

either brand is good .. but seriously i would pull that motor and weld that

++ while your in there .. should do an idi swap

Old 05-14-2016, 01:46 AM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome build, brother. Love seeing something different.

However, I have to take a moment to correct all the ignorance on display regarding flux core welding. I'm a high pressure pipeline welder and have built a career using everything from oxy-acetylene welding in the bush where there's no electricity to automated stainless TIG in nuclear powerhouses.

Flux core wire is a VERY strong and commonly used welding process. It penetrates MUCH deeper than regular solid wire MIG, can be used on dirty metal and still perform well, and it lays a bead that's hell for stout. Self-shielded flux core is a much more reliable process in the welding world than solid wire MIG.

There's a reason that the American Welding Society has decided that solid wire MIG is not a pre-qualifiable process. That is to say, there are no welding procedures using solid wire MIG that a contractor can use, knowing beforehand that they've been tested and qualified to meet specific standards. This is because it's simply too easy for a MIG weld to be deposited that passes the visual exam with flying colors, but is totally inadequate structurally.

For those who know what the Pile Drivers and Iron Workers unions are, they use self-shielded flux core for nearly all of the work they do. It's also used extensively in the construction of high rise buildings and bridges.

Tangent over.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:52 AM
pgg00
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Your truck is looking good. I like your choice in color as well

Old 05-14-2016, 07:37 AM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Russell F Cary
Awesome build, brother. Love seeing something different.

However, I have to take a moment to correct all the ignorance on display regarding flux core welding. I'm a high pressure pipeline welder and have built a career using everything from oxy-acetylene welding in the bush where there's no electricity to automated stainless TIG in nuclear powerhouses.

Flux core wire is a VERY strong and commonly used welding process. It penetrates MUCH deeper than regular solid wire MIG, can be used on dirty metal and still perform well, and it lays a bead that's hell for stout. Self-shielded flux core is a much more reliable process in the welding world than solid wire MIG.

There's a reason that the American Welding Society has decided that solid wire MIG is not a pre-qualifiable process. That is to say, there are no welding procedures using solid wire MIG that a contractor can use, knowing beforehand that they've been tested and qualified to meet specific standards. This is because it's simply too easy for a MIG weld to be deposited that passes the visual exam with flying colors, but is totally inadequate structurally.

For those who know what the Pile Drivers and Iron Workers unions are, they use self-shielded flux core for nearly all of the work they do. It's also used extensively in the construction of high rise buildings and bridges.

Tangent over.

the rigs you guys run are not the 100 dollar 120v harbor freight special lol

Old 05-14-2016, 10:23 AM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's true, they aren't. Previous posters were bashing the process though, not the machine.

A $100 HF welder isn't going to put down a real quality weld regardless of the process, FCAW-S or MIG.

Originally Posted by IDIoit
the rigs you guys run are not the 100 dollar 120v harbor freight special lol

Old 05-15-2016, 07:34 PM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
Old 05-15-2016, 08:31 PM
Leroy Unlisted
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that things a tank .. coool

Old 05-16-2016, 11:43 PM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
going to be more frequent on the updates,
lots of parts to install, as soon as i get it all cleaned up!

Old 05-22-2016, 08:27 AM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
Old 05-23-2016, 02:30 AM
pgg00
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like you are making progress. Each seat gonna have shoulder belts?

Quick Reply: 93 7.3 IDI build