Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

SPX, Riffraff, Barder and others turbo wheel review thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 06:06 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,470 Likes on 2,856 Posts
Started to break mine down tonight and could not even get the v-clamp off the turbo for the downpipe. I ended up cutting out the exhaust and left the now bent bolt on the v-clamp in place and will cut it out tomorrow or Thursday. I have a new one on the way from RiffRaff already, so not a big deal.

I guess the 16 year old bolt that is mounted against the firewall and behind the turbo didn't want to budge. A precision dremel cutting bit will take care of it in no time though.

When I go to re-install the v-clamp I will be sure that the bolt is easily accessible and on top of the exhaust and not behind it where you cannot even see the bolt.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:19 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Started to break mine down tonight and could not even get the v-clamp off the turbo for the downpipe. I ended up cutting out the exhaust and left the now bent bolt on the v-clamp in place and will cut it out tomorrow or Thursday. I have a new one on the way from RiffRaff already, so not a big deal.

I guess the 16 year old bolt that is mounted against the firewall and behind the turbo didn't want to budge. A precision dremel cutting bit will take care of it in no time though.

When I go to re-install the v-clamp I will be sure that the bolt is easily accessible and on top of the exhaust and not behind it where you cannot even see the bolt.
I had the bolt completely loose and had a time getting the clamp free. Many have used a screwdriver and rubber mallet to get it loose.

I sprayed it with Blaster, made some "Use a Lifeline" texts to find out mostly how rough to be and if it was normal. After about 15mins, I grabbed a hammer and long screwdriver and as I was wedging the end of the screwdriver onto the end of the clamp opening, everything just popped loose and the clamp nearly flew off

Be sure to remove your intake boots and cover the openings with clean rags first. I had trouble getting the turbo to clear the spot and ended up breaking the EBPV solenoid

Old 12-08-2015, 06:27 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I hear ya, I soaked the bolt even though I couldn't see it behind the exhaust with penetrating oil, but it just would not budge. Luckily there is a break in the v-clamp section where it is just banding at the very top of the exhaust pipe so that allows for easy access with a Dremel.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:00 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
I hear ya, I soaked the bolt even though I couldn't see it behind the exhaust with penetrating oil, but it just would not budge. Luckily there is a break in the v-clamp section where it is just banding at the very top of the exhaust pipe so that allows for easy access with a Dremel.
Here's a pic of the bolt, still in place, but loosened. It might even be flipped (loosen all the way, push clamp ends together and remove the Tee end out of the other side of the clamp, then flip back towards the first side, out of the way) I left the pic full size so you can see it top middle, above the pedestal and such.

I didn't have any better pics of it, sorry

Old 12-08-2015, 07:10 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I think I have passed the point of no return. I bent the bolt trying to use a swivel attachment on an extension for the deep socket. With the strange angle, it being up against the firewall and out of sight and the fact that it hasn't moved in 16 years. I called it a night, ordered a new one from RR and came up with a plan to cut the v-clamp off tomorrow.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:18 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,191 Likes on 817 Posts
I find it easier just to used a curved crow bar and hammer it to the v band clamp ends first then do the center one last, by the looks of your turbo its not heavily rusted so it should of been easy to take off

Old 12-08-2015, 08:35 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
I use a long (12") tapered drift punch and a very short Harbor Freight hammer to tap on those pesky V-band clamps. If you strike them just right, they practically jump off. Any such implement should work similarly.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:43 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
I called it a night, ordered a new one from RR and came up with a plan to cut the v-clamp off tomorrow.
Sounds like a sound plan

Old 12-09-2015, 07:05 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 799 Likes on 586 Posts
My theory is the impact to loosen the clamp has to drive the clamp outward, away from the mating surfaces. The angles of the turbo and downpipe are a wedge in the clamp; any pressure applied inward toward the wedge will increase the tension holding the clamp in place. Plus it's been there a looong time. Been a few years since I had mine off but I thought I removed the bolt and used a shortish pry bar and an improvised fulcrum, levered up away from the turbo and sproing!

Glad you guys are having this conversation since I have the same project coming up over the Christmas break. Last season's RiffRaff 6/6 wheel and Dorman uppies. Oooh, aaah.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I ended up cutting the v-clamp off in about 2 minutes time tonight. I know it is hard to explain, but the way the bolt on the clamp was installed it was 100% out of sight and no combination of sockets, swivels or extensions was going to budge it loose. So, I dremeled it into submission between the actual v portions of the clamp and it popped right off.

I then took time to apply ATF/acetone to the up-pipe and turbo pedestal bolts for removal in the near future.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:00 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
I dremeled it into submission
My new favorite quote

Old 12-13-2015, 03:35 PM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Got it done. Up pipes, collector, rebuilt turbo, spx wheel, ceramic coated, PC CAC pipes, IAH delete, EBPV pedestal delete, New boots, clamps. Also sore back, cuts, lots of cussing.....

Old 12-13-2015, 04:01 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Your work has paid off! It looks great...

What are your thoughts on the improvement of how the truck runs and responds to throttle input?

I am doing all of the same things right now, just at a much slower pace because of other "Honey Do" list items.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:13 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,191 Likes on 817 Posts
Looks really good and clean

Old 12-13-2015, 04:36 PM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Your work has paid off! It looks great...

What are your thoughts on the improvement of how the truck runs and responds to throttle input?

I am doing all of the same things right now, just at a much slower pace because of other "Honey Do" list items.
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Looks really good and clean
Thanks to both!

As to throttle, seems to have more pickup, also no major whoosh wehn shifting at speed. Like that. Only have 12 miles on it, so I will need to wait to report. Does have a nicer whistle though :-)

Quick Reply: SPX, Riffraff, Barder and others turbo wheel review thread