Sponsored by: DP Tuner

cam sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 12:34 PM
Ed the outdoorman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cam sensor

I need a quick piece of info. My cam sensor is bad, I have a new one allready, I am going to install it myself as per the threads I've read here. I need to know if I will lose any oil when I pull out the old one and if there is any tricks to know when doing the install. Thanks for any info.

Ed

Old 08-06-2003, 12:47 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
cam sensor

You won't lose any oil, and the only tricky part is getting yourself situated under the truck so you can get to the thing. Here's what worked for me:
Lie under the truck with your head under the right-front corner of the block, and put your legs around the driver's side- front tire. Looking up behind the pulleys, you'll see the CPS. There's a bolt holding it in place, 10mm I think. You'll want to use a 2" extension on a 3/8" drive socket, and work from the front of the belt to get to the bolt. For some reason, that bolt is sometimes on there very tight, like it's the only thing holding the truck together. You won't be able to see the head of the bolt, since the gold colored bracket for the CPS is in the way, buy you'll be able to feel it easily enough. Disconnect the wiring connector and remove the bolt. You might have to use a screwdriver to pry the old CPS out of the block. Luckily, mine wasn't as tight as some are, so I didn't have the problems some guys have with rounding off the corners of the bolt. I'd recommend a six point socket.
Good luck.

Old 08-06-2003, 04:11 PM
Ed the outdoorman
Senior User
cam sensor

Quadzilla, thanks for the info. I plan to change it out tonite.

Ed