1977 F250 Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 03:22 PM
bronco78idi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1977 F250 Build

Hey all,

I was not going to post this build mostly because it’s almost done. Visiting my daughter in Oregon I found a 1977 F250 4X4 not in bad shape. I found myself driving by every time I went up for a visit.

I am in the middle of a 1978 Ford Bronco build. A have had a few issues with the engine build over the last three year, Yes I said three, IdI engine build, so I took a break from it.

I told myself not to get another project, but I just really love the late 70’s trucks. My wife also loves these truck, growing up with her Dad’s 1979 Ford F150 4x4 called Chief. She always wanted one. So after a year of looking at that truck I got it.

I am building it for my wife. She really likes driving it, but I am getting ahead of myself.

Wife's Dad's Truck Chief Black Hawk

Wife's truck the day we got it

Old 11-16-2015, 03:38 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Welcome to the Dentside forum.... I took a break from working on my house so I could wrench on my truck.... that was almost five years ago... I still have no baseboards, and the kitchen still needs to be remodeled.

What's the plan for the ol' girl? .... the '77 I mean.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:38 PM
fordcrzymike
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like a solid Highboy. It even has the same camper topper as your wife's dad's truck! Have fun with it!

Old 11-16-2015, 04:15 PM
bronco78idi
Senior User
Ok so a little bit about the truck.

1977 ford F250 4x4 Dana 60 and 44HD front 429 with c6 transmission and NP205 Divorced transferase.

We drove the truck back to California, (No Laughing, I know CA SUCKS) ran ok was pinging and felt like 3rd gear was missing, but I am not sure what was going on. I really don’t do automatic transmissions.

They guy who I purchased it from said the motor was rebuilt. Looking at it seemed to be true, but the timing was wrong.

I had Crag look at it and see what he thinks. A few thing we for right away is the carb was wrong, the stock distributor sucks and the engine seems to sit wrong.

This is the engine when we got it

We swapped out the stock distributor for a MSD and used the MSD Digital 6AL controller and a Holley truck avenger. to see if that would make a difference.

We also added a holley fuel pump, new plugs, K&N air filter, and changed the oil. to see if it made a difference.

added new parts

Old 11-16-2015, 04:27 PM
bronco78idi
Senior User
Once we added the these parts it didn't change much. I went to a rear end shop in Sacramento and had them install a new set of 410 gears, timken roller bearings set and national seal, ARB Air Locker.

ARB installed

Old 11-16-2015, 04:43 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
A '77 will be subject to CA emissions testing. What's yer plan to address that aspect of registration?.... unless it's registered in oregon at yer daughter's place. Are you in an exempt locale?

Old 11-16-2015, 04:43 PM
bronco78idi
Senior User
After that we took the truck for a ride. My Wife and I wanted to check out Montana and Idaho, so we jumped in it and drove.

Heading thru Nevada

Then we hit Idaho the truck seem ok still felt like it was missing a gear, and the pinging was not that bad

Once we hit Rexburg Idaho the heater core broke and sent water into the passenger floor pan. That sucked, but it was cool to find Yellowstone Bear World. Would have never seen this

Very Awesome place to see

The rest of the trip was ok, we drove 2600 mile round trip.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:44 PM
bronco78idi
Senior User
Correct CA SUCKS>>> Oregon it is

Old 11-16-2015, 05:09 PM
bronco78idi
Senior User
We got back and I never felt that the transmission was correct, so I called Oregon Performance Transmission and talked to the guy about a tranny upgrade.

the following is the parts for the transmission

Rebuild kit: part number ORE-C6-HPRB
Shift kit: TRG-67-1-2
Converter: ORE-F600-30 "This is an Allison spec, super HD converter"
servo: SNX-K36528R
Overrun roller clutch: NTP-37813A
Also a deep B&M tranny pan

Found a trans shop. The guy called me and said 3rd was gone. Go figure and drove it at least 4k before taking it in!! Gotta love a C6!

parts came in from OPT Sweet

Tranny is out and heading the the Tranny guy

Old 11-16-2015, 05:26 PM
bronco78idi
Senior User
While I was waiting for the tranny shop to repair it. I order a set of L&L headers and the conversion alternator kit. I then had the truck taken to the exhaust shop. I never did like the exhaust dump in front of the rear tires and the topper always smelled like exhaust so I ripped out the old exhaust and sent it on its was.

2.5 exhaust with Flow Master 3 chamber.

L&L headers. I recoated them, they didn't do a very good job. L&L does not have a coater anymore

On its was for exhaust!! Sweet

The Muffler shop did an Great job keeping the exhaust high! Bad ***!

Chrome tips to finish it off

Old 11-16-2015, 05:37 PM
bronco78idi
Senior User
My Wife's Dad's truck had a warn winch in the back. in 80's Warn made a rear winch bumper, so Craig and I copied it and made it out of the stock bumper except we boxed it in, unlike Warn didn't do. 8K Warn Winch and I also added some LED light. Came out sweet

Before the Bumper Mod

After the Mod. I have to Give it up to CRAIG! He really did an AWESOME Job on this!!

there it is. Just need to finish adding the trailer plug in the hole

Old 11-16-2015, 05:40 PM
bronco78idi
Senior User
I had all the drive line upgraded to 1 ton with larger ujoints also.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:56 PM
bronco78idi
Senior User
the interior was in great shape. I added the door panels from my Bronco, (Those are coming back! She does not know this yet) added a gauge cluster, Tac, Break controller passenger side USB and lighter plug, Retro Sound radio, all new door and window moldings, new dash and pad

New Radio and gauges!! Sweet

Done with the cab!

Old 11-16-2015, 06:01 PM
bronco78idi
Senior User
Got a call from the Tranny guy and the tranny was done. So Craig and I installed the C6, It was a pain.

Installed!!!!

Old 11-16-2015, 06:34 PM
bronco78idi
Senior User
Couldn't wait to get the truck on the road and test all the new parts. We fired it up and the headers sounded awesome.

Made a few changes to the carb. Craig and I jumped in and it ran like CRAP!,

Backfired thru carb, couldn't get out of its own way, I looked at Craig and said this truck didn't run this bad on our trip. We messed with the timing and carb for hours, oh, and I had to take the truck to my wife Dad's house for dinner. Craig retarded it hell out of the timing. Starting issues, ended up breaking a few teeth on the flywheel and mini starter.

I told my wife let’s just jump in the truck and make it an adventure. Boy was it. It took us 3 hours to get home 40 miles away almost had to call a tow truck at midnight. I was so pissed! I told my wife, in the morning We are pulling this motor out!

Quick Reply: 1977 F250 Build