1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Parts Quality Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 09:35 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 853 Likes on 771 Posts
Ditto on DC outsourcing . A lot of their stuff now is made in China, and has very poor quality control. Friend recently got some vent window seals from DC. One was ok, the other not even close. I emailed them about a switch, they said they would fit the dash mount which it wouldn't. The dimensions quoted were a lot different than the original.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:21 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm sorry if Jimmy had a bad experience at MF, it happens on occasion at every and any company, and no, not every person is going to know everything there is to know about an inventory of 1000's of skus, that's not a realistic expectation. But I have had nothing but good experiences with them. Are those old guys with 40 years experience "back in the 90s" at DC still there answering the phones and taking orders? Not likely, today it's more likely the people taking orders are minimum wage workers possibly supplied by a temp agency, who have never seen anything but a picture and description on a computer screen. That's the reality of business today.
The tootsie rolls are just a token gesture to say we appreciate your business (I bet you don't like tootsie rolls?). You faulting a company for giving you something for free??? A couple of my suppliers are noted for including a sucker or piece of candy in their orders, and I always had a full candy dish out for my customers in my store for the 35 years I was open as a thank you for visiting us. Sheesh!
I can't fault MF for those people that called you to find out where a part goes. How did they order the part in the first place if they didn't know how/where it goes? In my experience 7 out of 10 wrong orders are the customer's fault for ordering the wrong parts, giving the person trying to figure out what they need wrong or incomplete information, expecting the company to be mind readers. They will not admit fault because they don't want to be on the hook for their mistake.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:59 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Just a few random thoughts after buying from most of the major players for 15 years.

-I am certain Mid-Fifty is one of the better vendors in the opinion of many. Extensive inventory and helpful catalog. They attempt to describe the difference if they are stocking cheap junk. Gurus in all things F100, probably not. I've had a few returns and all were smooth.

-DC is very knowledgeable. I used to buy knowing I would get the best quality available. They sell a lot of offshore junk like everybody else now. I buy from them and pay the premium only when it makes sense. Won't pay a premium for commodity items or junk they didn't manufacture.

-Long shipping delays from some of the second tier F100 vendors selling stuff they don't even stock. I don't bother with them anymore.

-No Limit Engineering one of my favorites for sure but they don't sell everything we need of course.

-Commenting about tootsie rolls is silly. A lot of businesses give me free coozies and mini screwdrivers or whatever. I use them and don't flame them on the internet as if they are buying my loyalty. Anything free is a nice gesture. It's just marketing.

These trucks are 60 years old. We are lucky to have a number of very good vendors.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:58 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
I do know that MF has a "school" for their staff where their products are actually installed by their staff on actual project trucks on company time. If that isn't hands on I don't know what is. I don't know any other company that does that. Most of the other's sales staff don't even visit their warehouse much less actually touch the items. I'm sorry if you don't like MF, but most the rest of us that have dealt with them appreciate their service. Maybe it's because you are overseas or you don't like working with females, but if you are happy with DC then the more power to you. "Exact as original" means as close to original as economically feasible using available low volume production methods to produce something using the best available 60 year old examples to work from. MF does not manufacture most of their parts, they are distributors of what's available, and do an excellent job of having the products in stock at a fair price. If you are looking for parts manufactured by the same 60 year old high volume methods, machinery, molds, dies, using the exact same materials, possibly no longer available in the market, then you probably should buy only top dollar NOS. Most of the rest of us aren't doing 100 point concours restorations on what are common vehicles with limited demand and value, no matter how well restored here. We just want good service, wide range of in stock parts that work reasonably well. If anyone buys something from MF and isn't happy with it, or no longer need it, no matter how long it might have taken to get around to taking it out of the package, even if you no longer have the original receipt, they will make good on it. I don't know many suppliers in this or any other field that will do that. For those reasons I will continue to sing the praises of MF to anyone who will listen. And no I don't get any special treatment, prices, or anything else from them that they don't give to every other customer.
i only know of a couple people kicked off FTE for having a difference of opinion unless it was with the management of this lemonade stand, so you are safe to express your opinion, that's what this country was founded on.
Well Axracer my recomendations are based on my experiences and yours are based on your experience, lets let it be at that. My reasons are as good as yours belive me.....

But one thing that makes me really dissapointed is this gender thing that´s always brought to the table.

Your comment "Maybe it's because you are overseas or you don't like working with females" says more about you than it does say about me.

As an answere to that, you have this link.

Global Gender Gap Report 2014 - Reports - World Economic Forum

It says that Sweden is at 4 place and USA is at 20 th place..........I dont have a problem with females not in any way

What I have something against is people that says one thing......2 things......3 things .......4 things and all of them shows up not to be true not even if I can prove to the person that they are actually wrong and they refuse to admit there misstakes and stand behind them. Thats what I have a BIG problem with, no matter gender, sexuality, religion etc

What I can give them is that they have a large inventory of parts, some that I couldn´t find anywhere else. Good for them.....

But i have seen the backside of the coin.......

I just wanted to bring a nother view to the table...thats it

And on nother thing

your comment "Most of the rest of us aren't doing 100 point concours restorations on what are common vehicles with limited demand and value, no matter how well restored here"

I can only say that I am flattered......Thanks

Old 11-16-2015, 01:29 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Valid points by several parties from both sides of the ocean. Can we now carry on with our mutual love.... that being old Ford trucks.... and leave it like that.

Lest we become like another old vehicle forum on the WWW.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:47 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Agreed, I'm just glad that parts are available. It's probably not looking too good on that front going forward.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:20 PM
edzakory
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our era is passing and the interest in old iron is shifting to new models as your childhood drives much of the activity. Price, quality, and availability will always be factors in relation to competition. I am one of those that is glad that parts are available.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:07 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Right, I get that. My beef is just the usual concerns that any firm can have problems with. One thing that is amazing in the age of cheap computing power, is they need to have an accurate inventory system in place, so a part that is ordered online, is in fact actually available for shipment right now.

That some (no names, but..) firms don't have this tells me the people at the top in charge apparently have never worked any kind of maintenance or been at work stoppage for a certain part. It's difficult to imagine anyone who has would ever allow this to happen.