2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

What do I need to know when buying a used 2011 Expedition

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 05:21 PM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
What do I need to know when buying a used 2011 Expedition

Hello everybody, my Wife and I are looking at buying a used Expedition and were wondering what we should be looking at besides the obvious things like leaks and funny sounds. Is there anything specific to this year and model that I should be worried about. We won't be towing anything with it just need a bigger kid hauler/grocery getter. Any advice or feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:05 AM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J ballan
Hello everybody, my Wife and I are looking at buying a used Expedition and were wondering what we should be looking at besides the obvious things like leaks and funny sounds. Is there anything specific to this year and model that I should be worried about. We won't be towing anything with it just need a bigger kid hauler/grocery getter. Any advice or feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Not much to worry about when it comes to these trucks. After 2005 they all got a beautiful 5.4L 3v V8 engine. 3v means it flows better than your typical Dodge or Chevy V8 and is in turn more efficient.

They were also ahead of the time in 2005 with these engines by integrating new technology to V8s known as "Cam Phasers". They were notorious in the 05s to be poorly built and somewhat disastrous nightmares. By 07 all of that was solved and the trucks only concerns were the 6r75 transmissions. 2008+ year models got a stronger trans known as the. 6r80 and from there the trucks are now considered to basically be bulletproof. HOWEVER, these engines are quite complex on the inside and demand the highest quality oils and fluids and, all being dealt with when necessary. Don't wait it out, your trans will fail, your valve train will be junk by 250k miles, and the truck will make you hate it.

The only advice I'd give you is to look for trucks with more options. Because I know you will love this truck once you have it, but if you're anything like me, you'll be wishing you had the cooled seats when it's almost 110 all 9 months of summer. Or the navigation radio when you go on a road trip to a town you've never drove through. Or when your brother is in the military and he takes you down some of the old back trails they train them on with the hummvees, and you are crossing everything you got hoping your 2wd can handle the easy paths and not get stuck. My point is, these trucks have enormous amounts to offer if you think you can handle that much awesomeness in one vehicle and are willing to accept to expense of owning it.

If you have a budget, put it in on cargurus.com when you search for trucks in your area. Depending on where you live, you can probably get a much nicer loaded model for the same price as the truck you might be looking at. The only downfall to that is to, you might be presented with higher milage models to get it in the budget, but with these trucks, as I said, they are considered bulletproof so mileage isn't much of an issue. I personally wouldn't buy ones with milage right around 100k because it probably hasn't been tuned up or serviced and the person is getting rid of it before it fails. But anything around 20k over or under, and even up to 300k, should be a solid truck drivetrain wise.

When you go to check these trucks out, run it good out on the highway and some slow driving. Give it some gas and make it run through the the gears with the engine stretching them out. Hit the OD off button to see if your trans brake has been worn out. If it's a 4wd, pop it in and out of 4H at least 5 times to see if your hubs, vacuum system, t-case, and all other parts are operating correctly. Turn on the A/C to full blast both front and rear and run it for a good 5 mins at idle after a short drive. If the A/C system has a leak, the truck will let you know by locking up the compressor and making a terrible smell and sound as it destroys your A/C system all together. My truck did that to its second compressor after a $3k+ repair job to fix the A/C system. It failed the second time because the rear air hose had a small drip that allowed air in it to seize the compressor ( at least from my judgement). My dog was in the car while I was looking at buying another 2013 Expedition and the system was burning the A/C clutch for a good bit before I got back to shut it off. And I think the most important thing that all of these trucks STILL experience, is the actuators for the blend doors in the rear A/C system. To test them switch the temps on the rear air to both full hot, and full cold. And check the one that switches the air between face and feet. If either of these are bad, you will hear a clicking sound from the rear passenger quarter panel. That's an $800+ job if those are shot and you aren't fixing them yourself.

To sum it all, you will love your new expedition as long as you are committed to the investment that these trucks are, and if you take care of it, it will love you back until the day you part with it, that is, if you can ever let it go.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:22 AM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford'05HG
Not much to worry about when it comes to these trucks. After 2005 they all got a beautiful 5.4L 3v V8 engine. 3v means it flows better than your typical Dodge or Chevy V8 and is in turn more efficient.

They were also ahead of the time in 2005 with these engines by integrating new technology to V8s known as "Cam Phasers". They were notorious in the 05s to be poorly built and somewhat disastrous nightmares. By 07 all of that was solved and the trucks only concerns were the 6r75 transmissions. 2008+ year models got a stronger trans known as the. 6r80 and from there the trucks are now considered to basically be bulletproof. HOWEVER, these engines are quite complex on the inside and demand the highest quality oils and fluids and, all being dealt with when necessary. Don't wait it out, your trans will fail, your valve train will be junk by 250k miles, and the truck will make you hate it.

The only advice I'd give you is to look for trucks with more options. Because I know you will love this truck once you have it, but if you're anything like me, you'll be wishing you had the cooled seats when it's almost 110 all 9 months of summer. Or the navigation radio when you go on a road trip to a town you've never drove through. Or when your brother is in the military and he takes you down some of the old back trails they train them on with the hummvees, and you are crossing everything you got hoping your 2wd can handle the easy paths and not get stuck. My point is, these trucks have enormous amounts to offer if you think you can handle that much awesomeness in one vehicle and are willing to accept to expense of owning it.

If you have a budget, put it in on cargurus.com when you search for trucks in your area. Depending on where you live, you can probably get a much nicer loaded model for the same price as the truck you might be looking at. The only downfall to that is to, you might be presented with higher milage models to get it in the budget, but with these trucks, as I said, they are considered bulletproof so mileage isn't much of an issue. I personally wouldn't buy ones with milage right around 100k because it probably hasn't been tuned up or serviced and the person is getting rid of it before it fails. But anything around 20k over or under, and even up to 300k, should be a solid truck drivetrain wise.

When you go to check these trucks out, run it good out on the highway and some slow driving. Give it some gas and make it run through the the gears with the engine stretching them out. Hit the OD off button to see if your trans brake has been worn out. If it's a 4wd, pop it in and out of 4H at least 5 times to see if your hubs, vacuum system, t-case, and all other parts are operating correctly. Turn on the A/C to full blast both front and rear and run it for a good 5 mins at idle after a short drive. If the A/C system has a leak, the truck will let you know by locking up the compressor and making a terrible smell and sound as it destroys your A/C system all together. My truck did that to its second compressor after a $3k+ repair job to fix the A/C system. It failed the second time because the rear air hose had a small drip that allowed air in it to seize the compressor ( at least from my judgement). My dog was in the car while I was looking at buying another 2013 Expedition and the system was burning the A/C clutch for a good bit before I got back to shut it off. And I think the most important thing that all of these trucks STILL experience, is the actuators for the blend doors in the rear A/C system. To test them switch the temps on the rear air to both full hot, and full cold. And check the one that switches the air between face and feet. If either of these are bad, you will hear a clicking sound from the rear passenger quarter panel. That's an $800+ job if those are shot and you aren't fixing them yourself.

To sum it all, you will love your new expedition as long as you are committed to the investment that these trucks are, and if you take care of it, it will love you back until the day you part with it, that is, if you can ever let it go.
Right on. Thank you for your reply. We just got to sell my wife's Yukon and we can start shopping. About time she started driving a ford.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:04 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Just had cam phasers done on my 2010. It was quite a surprise.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:15 PM
13expedition
Freshman User
Originally Posted by alwaysfords41
Just had cam phasers done on my 2010. It was quite a surprise.
Not really, they already have TSBs out there for 2014s with cam phaser issues.

Old 11-21-2015, 02:25 PM
jsa3107
Senior User
We bought a 2010 new
It frankly has been a very poor costly vehicle
I have been a ford fan for many many years
this hasn’t been a good one
You might want to look at other vehicles