Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Emergency! troubleshooting '01 PSD power steering / breaks out

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 06:38 PM
cpye2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emergency! troubleshooting '01 PSD power steering / breaks out

I have a 01 PSD extra cab 4x4. I had a whining power steering pump so I printed the guide to flush the system. I had the hose off at the hydropump nipple and began the flush. The reservoir never emptied and only about 6-12 Oz of fluid came out. Fluid was gross and a bad color. Anyway, the reservour never drained and eventually even pumping the brakes or turning the wheel wouldn't cause it to drain. I let it back down off the jack and as expected the power steering is out and so are the breaks. Where can I begin to troubleshoot, or is definately time to replace the pump? Please help! Thanks.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:18 PM
Zwalters
Senior User
What noise is the pump making? If you can get a mechanic's stethoscope or improvise with a long screwdriver, listen to the pump through contact. Additionally, (not to offend), have you added more fluid into the PS res? Are there any visible foaming in the PS res. Take pictures if you can. We'll get you there. Hopefully they heavy hitters will be here soon.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:35 PM
cpye2
Senior User
Originally Posted by Zwalters
What noise is the pump making? If you can get a mechanic's stethoscope or improvise with a long screwdriver, listen to the pump through contact. Additionally, (not to offend), have you added more fluid into the PS res? Are there any visible foaming in the PS res. Take pictures if you can. We'll get you there. Hopefully they heavy hitters will be here soon.
Yeah we filled the reservoir to the rim with ATF before starting but it never went down any. It was kind of making a winding sound before, the pedal would vibrate and it would make the sound when I cut the wheel or press the brakes. Now it makes no sound and the breaks are out and so is the power steering. The reservoir is still full to the rim.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:41 PM
Zwalters
Senior User

Sounds like your pump just went, strange it would do so when you add in new atf.
Well... maybe try siphoning off the new fluid and look down in the res. If I remember right, there is a screen of some sorts, it may be clogged (if it exists). If not you can start to see the intake to the pump. It's worth a shot.
Just a check here, no fluid leaks anywhere? Also, are you on jackstands? I will assume you are, if so, does steering move at all without the pump.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:53 PM
cpye2
Senior User

Sounds like your pump just went, strange it would do so when you add in new atf.
Well... maybe try siphoning off the new fluid and look down in the res. If I remember right, there is a screen of some sorts, it may be clogged (if it exists). If not you can start to see the intake to the pump. It's worth a shot.
Just a check here, no fluid leaks anywhere? Also, are you on jackstands? I will assume you are, if so, does steering move at all without the pump.
Yeah, it turns fine with the jackstands under it. When Input it down I can't turn the wheel at all and the brakes are out. I don't have any leaks. The guide said it should only take around 30 seconds to pump out the fluid before I saw the fresh fluid. But after 15 minutes I only had about 6-12oz and most came out in the 1st minute.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:57 PM
Zwalters
Senior User
Try the siphoning thing and look for the issue. Again, would like to see a pic or two if possible of the pump res with the cap off and the ATF that pumped out. Did if ever start to change color when it was coming out? What was the color of the fluid in the res when you pulled off the cap?

Old 10-22-2015, 08:04 PM
Zwalters
Senior User
Ugghh... I just thought about this, it is possible your pressure control valve crapped out causing bypass. It's on the outlet of high pressure side of the pump. Another possibility is the veins on the pump encountered something that broke them off, but I would think you would hear some rattling as the pump spins. I will look for a video or diagram that shows the internals.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:12 PM
Zwalters
Senior User
Google-Fu is strong tonight.....

Show an cross-section of a pump. They all work pretty much the same.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:54 PM
cpye2
Senior User
Try the siphoning thing and look for the issue. Again, would like to see a pic or two if possible of the pump res with the cap off and the ATF that pumped out. Did if ever start to change color when it was coming out? What was the color of the fluid in the res when you pulled off the cap?
It was gold / brown color. I doubt it was ATF.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:56 PM
Zwalters
Senior User
Well let us know what you find. Doubt it was either, probably original fluid or changed wrong.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:32 PM
cpye2
Senior User
Well let us know what you find. Doubt it was either, probably original fluid or changed wrong.
Could have been the original. Truck has 338k on it. I bought it with 332k. I was about to buy a pump that says without reservoir. My truck already has a reservoir on it (so I assumed), but the ones with reservoir for sell looks like the reservoir is actually on the pump itself, and and not like mine (so I assumed). Now I am thinking I added ATF to the wrong reservoir and may have ran mine dry. I FEEL DUMB. Is this picture I attached the wrong reservoir for the adding the fluid? (note that the picture is not mine, and that beautiful red fluid is what Im trying to achieve)

Old 10-22-2015, 09:38 PM
Zwalters
Senior User
I don't see a picture, but if it's on top of the master cylinder then you did. This red is for brake fluid. The ps red is down by the pump and sticks out toward the driver side. The brake fluid res is high and in the back driver side of the compartment. If you did this, please let me know so I can give you a solution.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:41 PM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Watch Trey's video. Is this the procedure you followed. Did you add where he puts the funnel? If not. it's worth checking level there, and trying again. Then you may need to address the brake fluid.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:43 PM
Zwalters
Senior User
Don't run the truck our apply the brakes if you did this. Atf is not good in brake system.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:43 PM
cpye2
Senior User
I don't see a picture, but if it's on top of the master cylinder then you did. This red is for brake fluid. The ps red is down by the pump and sticks out toward the driver side. The brake fluid res is high and in the back driver side of the compartment. If you did this, please let me know so I can give you a solution.
Sorry. I attached the image. This reservoir was filled to is "MAX" marking before we added or started trying to flush. We added enough to fill it to the cap thinking it would drop down and we would add more, but it never dropped. Now I am thinking I added to the wrong reservoir and the reason my brakes/powersteering isnt working is because we never added fluid to the proper reservoir.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Emergency! troubleshooting '01 PSD power steering / breaks out