Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Air Compressor Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 02:49 PM
resonateur
Fleet Mechanic
Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Dave:
I agree with the 240V circuit if at all possible but another point that I didn't see mentioned was I would definitely purchase a two-stage compressor. If you're using a blasting cabinet it makes a huge difference in how much your compressor will run while bead blasting, which is "full-on" air as well as how long it takes to do your blasting as the compressor pressure runs down. The difference is usually about 50 PSI max pressure (175 vs. 125) depending on your unit. I've used both with a small blasting cabinet and the single-stage just doesn't cut it. I've had a few Campbell-Hausfeld compressors and they have worked fine...two purchased from Harbor Freight. You don't want to go shopping too soon so remember, sanders, grinders and blasters use a ton of air quickly...so you don't want your compressor running continually.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:51 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by resonateur
Dave:
I agree with the 240V circuit if at all possible but another point that I didn't see mentioned was I would definitely purchase a two-stage compressor. If you're using a blasting cabinet it makes a huge difference in how much your compressor will run while bead blasting, which is "full-on" air as well as how long it takes to do your blasting as the compressor pressure runs down. The difference is usually about 50 PSI max pressure (175 vs. 125) depending on your unit. I've used both with a small blasting cabinet and the single-stage just doesn't cut it. I've had a few Campbell-Hausfeld compressors and they have worked fine...two purchased from Harbor Freight. You don't want to go shopping too soon so remember, sanders, grinders and blasters use a ton of air quickly...so you don't want your compressor running continually.
Totally agree, I have not gotten around scheduling an appointment with an electrician. Within the next several months, or sooner, hope to relocating; preferably out of California, and my emphasis will be on the size and juice of the garage. Although I would prefer to do some blasting in the meantime, I may hold off. Appreciate the information!

Old 11-04-2015, 04:06 PM
Pwrgeek
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by daveengelson
Within the next several months, or sooner, hope to relocating
In this case I would just go to Home Depot and get some #10 SOOW and make a 240V extension cord for temporary use and lay it on top of the ground. Given that you are going to be shopping for a new place with plenty of power to run it, I wouldn't want to be stuck with less compressor than I needed later because of a short term electrical issue at your current place. Even if you don't need the cord at the new place it could be used to make some really heavy duty extension cords for working around the yard.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:22 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,100 Likes on 2,162 Posts
plus an extra tank never hurts. the larger the air capacity the longer the compressor gets to rest between cycles.
a 60 gallon 5 hp compressor with an extra 30 gallon tank in the system will only run about half the time it would if the 30 gallon tank was not in the line.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:22 AM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
plus an extra tank never hurts. the larger the air capacity the longer the compressor gets to rest between cycles.
a 60 gallon 5 hp compressor with an extra 30 gallon tank in the system will only run about half the time it would if the 30 gallon tank was not in the line.
But won't it just run for a longer period of time when it does run? The compressor has a specific cubic foot per minute output at a given head pressure. Bigger storage capacity = longer run time to fill, no?

Old 11-12-2015, 11:12 AM
Pwrgeek
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PupnDuck
But won't it just run for a longer period of time when it does run? The compressor has a specific cubic foot per minute output at a given head pressure. Bigger storage capacity = longer run time to fill, no?
True but the thing that kills electric motors and compressors is starts. When you start an electric motor it pulls a large surge to get everything inside magnetized and then spin it all up. That is really hard on the current carrying components. On the compressor side if it is oil less not such a big deal but oil filled units have to spread lubrication around to everything that has dried out since the last time it ran. Just like car engines they experience a large portion of their wear during starting. This is why the really high end compressors have the option to run in a continuous mode where instead of stopping the motor the pressure switch disconnects the compressor from the tank. Better just to let it run if it is going to start again soon anyway.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:49 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
get the most CFM you can from my understanding the higher the CFM the rating is the quicker the tank will fill up.

I have been looking at a 13 CFM @90 psi I.R. 60 gallon compressor myself. I currently have a 7CFM that I wished I would have known about the whole CFM thing cause that compressor is useless for anything other than airing up tires or using a nail gun.