1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Air susp compressor runs more often?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 03:54 PM
jprix
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air susp compressor runs more often?

Lately it seems my air suspension compressor has been running more than usual.
I havent yet sprayed soapy water around to check for leaks but i did turn off the susp switch for a couple days,and i didnt notice any ''sagging.
I also noticed that the check susp light comes on sometimes while parked on an incline.

Does this sound like a common problem?

1998 5.4 eddie bauer expedition

Old 10-05-2015, 02:52 PM
thepros
New User
Hi. I have a similar problems with a 2000 navigator, instead the compressor kick in rises the rear and shut off and while driving it goes on at times. when park and the key is off you can hear the solenoids click then the rear drops down then when you start the truck up the pump kicks in and raises the rear. ???

Old 10-06-2015, 09:55 AM
blackex
Junior User
Usually a constantly running compressor would result from a leak. Rear air suspensions cause more headaches than they are worth.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:09 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you just might have a leaky bag. I had to change mine out after 10 or so years after I experienced something similar.
You might also check the line connector that runs to the rear, just over the power steering assembly. Shoot a little soapy water down there.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:12 PM
thepros
New User
HI, I notice when the key is shut off as I was checking for leaks on the rear air bags the solenoids kick in and releases the air from the bags causing it to drop ?? does anyone know why this is happening.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:35 PM
blackex
Junior User
Sounds like the check valve has failed on the pump. I'm not 100% on this, maybe someone else can verify.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:50 PM
alloro
Received 4,199 Likes on 2,434 Posts
Originally Posted by thepros
HI, I notice when the key is shut off as I was checking for leaks on the rear air bags the solenoids kick in and releases the air from the bags causing it to drop ?? does anyone know why this is happening.
That's what it's supposed to do. It kneels when off to allow for an easier time for people to get in, then it pumps up after you start driving.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:50 PM
thepros
New User
if that is the cause does the compressor need to be replaced or just a valve check replacement ?

Old 10-06-2015, 02:19 PM
blackex
Junior User
Originally Posted by alloro
That's what it's supposed to do. It kneels when off to allow for an easier time for people to get in, then it pumps up after you start driving.
Is that how Ford's air suspension is designed? That doesn't sound accurate to me at least coming from Cadillac air suspension setups. Typically the airbag is filled to a particular PSI or height that is monitored at which the compressor would shut off. The check valve built into the compressor acts as a fail safe in the case of a compressor failure will keep the compressed air in the airbags. The idea of the suspension constantly being allowed to loose air and then be filled back up to operating height just doesn't make sense to me and seems like it would just wear out the compressor at an accelerated rate as well as airbags constantly being decompressed and then inflated daily I would think can increase the rate the bags developing cracks/leaks opposed to the system reaching designated ride height and keeping it at that height consistently which is what Cadillac air ride systems are designed to do at least.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:40 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by thepros
Hi. I have a similar problems with a 2000 navigator, instead the compressor kick in rises the rear and shut off and while driving it goes on at times. when park and the key is off you can hear the solenoids click then the rear drops down then when you start the truck up the pump kicks in and raises the rear. ???

Doesn't the front drop also, and then raise back up with the rear?

Old 10-06-2015, 03:46 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by blackex
Is that how Ford's air suspension is designed?
Yeepper! Got over 140k miles on mine. I think its the slickest thing. Doesn't matter how many people/stuff on board and/or how much weight I have on the trailer tongue, it always sits level.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:59 PM
thepros
New User
no only the rear drops down

Old 10-07-2015, 09:23 AM
alloro
Received 4,199 Likes on 2,434 Posts
Originally Posted by blackex
Is that how Ford's air suspension is designed? That doesn't sound accurate to me at least coming from Cadillac air suspension setups.
Here is how the system is designed to work:

The air suspension system is designed to improve ride, handling and general vehicle performance for static, on and off-road driving conditions.

The load leveling feature of the air suspension automatically keeps the vehicle at a constant level if a load is added or removed from the vehicle.

The height adjustment feature automatically controls the vehicle height over a range of approximately 5 cm (2 inches) based on vehicle speed, ignition position and selection of two or four-wheel drive modes.

The air suspension automatically puts the vehicle at its lowest height when ignition if OFF to provide easy entry and exit. When ever a door is opened (including the liftgate) the system memorizes and maintains the height of the vehicle until all doors are closed or until vehicle exceeds 16km/h (10mph).

The air suspension system raises the vehicle to its normal ride position when the ignition is turned on, all doors are closed and the transmission is shifted into gear.

In 4WD Low the air suspension system will not move to it’s lowest height. In 4WD Low, the air suspension system raises the vehicle above the normal ride height at speeds below 40 km/h (25 mph) to improve ground clearance. In 4WD Low, do not exceed 56 km/h (35 mph).

When the vehicle is in motion, the air suspension system will adjust the vehicle’s height according to ground clearance and speed to maximize ride comfort.

It is normal to occasionally hear a buzz or clicking from the vehicle’s air suspension system when the ignition is turned off. The system stays energized for 40 minutes after the ignition is turned off to compensate for any load changes made after the vehicle is parked.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:04 PM
jprix
Mountain Pass
Would it be possible to just grab a pair of coil springs from the junkyard from a non air ride expedition and just buy new front and rear shocks from the auto parts?

I noticed alot of the "conversion" kits have a strut type shock for the front,is there a reason for this?

Old 10-20-2015, 07:19 AM
blackex
Junior User
Originally Posted by jprix
Would it be possible to just grab a pair of coil springs from the junkyard from a non air ride expedition and just buy new front and rear shocks from the auto parts?

I noticed alot of the "conversion" kits have a strut type shock for the front,is there a reason for this?

The reason for the strut style conversions is because they offer a similar ride quality to the air ride setup. I converted my previous vehicles with rear air suspensions over after blowing $$$ to keep repairing the air ride issues. Cadillac's are notorious for air compressor failures, air bags prematurely leaking... etc so I finally gave up and converted the suspension on my 02 cadillac seville and 03 escalade over... no more sagging rear ends... no more money going into fixing the issues... when I sold them I explained that I converted them and the new owners won't have the headache I went through or the money to repair it over and over.

Quick Reply: Air susp compressor runs more often?