2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Facts About the TorqShift-G in the 2017 Ford F-250 Super Duty

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 07:24 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
I think you can hardly call the 6.2L "stone age simple " compared to F150 powertrains. The EcoBoost is more complex, sure, but not the others. The 6.2 uses roller rockers, micro lifters, and two spark plugs per cylinder. It still has basic VVT despite SOHC. The half ton naturally aspirated engines may be DOHC and twin VVT, but they are not DI like the EcoBoost nor twin plugs like the 6.2. It's the GM and RAM V8 engines that are simple.
Yep, the competitions engines are relatively simple, but they're effective. The GM 6.2L engine runs a 11.5:1 compression ratio and makes 460 ft-lbs of torque. They aren't yet putting that in their HD trucks, but if they are the Ford engine will be handily outclassed. Give the Ford 6.2L an 11.5:1 compression ratio and DI and I probably won't make fun of it so much.

But seriously, why 2v heads? I don't accept the idea that they limited power to preserve diesel sales, that just doesn't make any sense. Heck, they could sell the current version as the base version and a hi-po variant at a premium and laugh all the way to the bank.

The 6.2 so far has not gotten a fair shake. It is a very stout and durable motor. However, Ford hobbled the output very early on to protect the diesel, and then never corrected that as the diesel gained power. They even crippled accelerator response by not allowing WOT until 3,000+ rpm.
Can you source that?

Old 01-18-2016, 09:35 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Yep, the competitions engines are relatively simple, but they're effective. The GM 6.2L engine runs a 11.5:1 compression ratio and makes 460 ft-lbs of torque. They aren't yet putting that in their HD trucks, but if they are the Ford engine will be handily outclassed. Give the Ford 6.2L an 11.5:1 compression ratio and DI and I probably won't make fun of it so much.

But seriously, why 2v heads? I don't accept the idea that they limited power to preserve diesel sales, that just doesn't make any sense. Heck, they could sell the current version as the base version and a hi-po variant at a premium and laugh all the way to the bank.

Can you source that?
Regarding the throttle not opening fully on the 6.2L until a certain RPM, there is some info on this forum. I found one reference to it here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...oggy-6-2l.html (Post #2)

However, I believe Matt (2000silverbullet) also has more info on this and how 5-star tuning removes this limitation. There was some discussion as to why Ford would limit throttle opening at lower RPMs back awhile.

The GM 6.2L runs higher compression because it has direct injection. Ford could add DI to the 6.2L if it desired. The fact is the 2V was a very good design compromise on Ford's 6.2L...2V offers less frictional resistance than 4V, and Ford's 2 valves have a very large area because of the size of the bore. They are canted to allow an even larger surface area. Don't forget GM's engines are 2V as well.

Gas HD truck engines need to run for a long time. I believe a lower compression ratio equals greater longevity and lower oil consumption over time. The GM 6.2L is more of a performance motor than a truck motor - aluminum block, high-compression. The 6.0L V8 in the GM HD trucks now is lower compression, iron block...like the Ford 6.2L. I think GM has avoided putting the 6.2L in the HD trucks because it may not have the long-term durability desired in these trucks.

Ford could gain power quite easily in the Super Duty by simply running the Raptor / F-150 6.2L engine camshaft...411bhp / 434lb-ft. That alone is a substantial, cheap, and proven bump. In reality, however, they could probably match the GM 6.2L output of 420 / 460 fairly easily...maybe a mild bump in compression ratio and the cam.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:37 PM
airm4n
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Regarding the throttle not opening fully on the 6.2L until a certain RPM, there is some info on this forum. I found one reference to it here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...oggy-6-2l.html (Post #2)

However, I believe Matt (2000silverbullet) also has more info on this and how 5-star tuning removes this limitation. There was some discussion as to why Ford would limit throttle opening at lower RPMs back awhile.

The GM 6.2L runs higher compression because it has direct injection. Ford could add DI to the 6.2L if it desired. The fact is the 2V was a very good design compromise on Ford's 6.2L...2V offers less frictional resistance than 4V, and Ford's 2 valves have a very large area because of the size of the bore. They are canted to allow an even larger surface area. Don't forget GM's engines are 2V as well.

Gas HD truck engines need to run for a long time. I believe a lower compression ratio equals greater longevity and lower oil consumption over time. The GM 6.2L is more of a performance motor than a truck motor - aluminum block, high-compression. The 6.0L V8 in the GM HD trucks now is lower compression, iron block...like the Ford 6.2L. I think GM has avoided putting the 6.2L in the HD trucks because it may not have the long-term durability desired in these trucks.

Ford could gain power quite easily in the Super Duty by simply running the Raptor / F-150 6.2L engine camshaft...411bhp / 434lb-ft. That alone is a substantial, cheap, and proven bump. In reality, however, they could probably match the GM 6.2L output of 420 / 460 fairly easily...maybe a mild bump in compression ratio and the cam.
If I recall the 6.2 in the raptor most of what is lost in comparison to the super duty is the fact that the raptor is rated with premium gas and the super duty is not. The cam is only worth a few hp to the equation.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:58 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
I'm looking forward to the TorqShift-g, the more I read about it the more I like it. I'm looking forward to my test drive when they hit the dealer lots.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:44 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by airm4n
If I recall the 6.2 in the raptor most of what is lost in comparison to the super duty is the fact that the raptor is rated with premium gas and the super duty is not. The cam is only worth a few hp to the equation.

Not true - the F-150 with the 6.2L (2011-2014) only requires regular gasoline but generates the same output as the Raptor. I wasn't aware the Raptor required premium.

I finally found the exact text from 5-star Tuning regarding the delayed throttle response on the 6.2L in the Super Duty:

"The SD 6.2L suffers from poor throttle response down low. In fact the factory programming has limits on the max throttle blade opening that PCM allows and is based on RPM range engine is operating in. Full throttle blade opening in factory programming is only allowed at 4500 RPMs. By correcting this issue and a few others; improvements will be much better throttle response, step on go pedal, vehicle will respond quicker…this DBW system is a torque driven system, it works by taking a certain amount of torque via engine and wheel and applies it to what the driver foot say it needs; a better way to explain it is its a torque limiter. It only allows so much torque at a given pedal position. Stock tables are conservative and numb at best and that’s why one would feel some times a lag or a goofy pedal with DBW systems. For a SD 6.2L this is one of the most critical areas that must be addressed and modified to generate more torque /hp and throttle response. By reworking the OEM strategies makes your SD 6.2L come to life!"

From Got a 2011-2015 6.2L V8 Super Duty ? - 5 Star Tuning under the Drive By Wire (DBW) section.