6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Oil cooler replacement, EGR delete (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 09:02 PM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Watch main power and FICM input voltage during glow plug on cycle. If it's sitting below 11.5, that's when damage occurs, why the bigger alt during glow plug on is important.
Ok I will check next cold start. Thank you very much for all your help.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:26 PM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Also glad to see my Delta around 5degrees at 75mph. Better than the 8-10 I was at before.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:41 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WatsonR
the better plan is to add a wire from the alternator mounting bolt to the negative passenger battery as voltage flows from negative to positive.
Are you sure electricity flows from negative to positive?

Old 09-22-2015, 03:47 AM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by jswartz84
Are you sure electricity flows from negative to positive?

Um....electrons flow from Negative to Positive.

(for the math) Positive charges flow from Positive to Negative.

ALL electrical engineering calculations "assume" Positive Current flow....... (but the actual current [NOT Voltage] is due to the electron flow)

Old 09-22-2015, 06:11 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HT32BSX115

ALL electrical engineering calculations "assume" Positive Current flow....... (but the actual current [NOT Voltage] is due to the electron flow)
Thank you.
Beef up the negative wire, it will increase voltage output of the alternator and clean your grounding locations.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:37 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,196 Likes on 1,481 Posts
My perspective ....

You really don't need any alternator negative wire upgrades as all the charging electrons have a large pathway through the block to the 2/0 wire up to the negative terminal on the passenger battery, and an 8ga wire then to the frame pathway. However during the highest load, during starting, the layout is deficient and you need an upgrade by running a 1/0 wire from the drivers frame rail connection to the engine block. IMO, this is the reason that some people have noticed that the passenger side battery is the first to lose its charging ability. A battery's life is determined by how many starting events and how much is drawn at each one of those (with a given it is recharged correctly each time).

With the addition of a higher amp output alternator you do need to upgrade the positive side wire as it is only a 6ga wire. The addition of a fused 12ga wire from the alternator output to the passenger positive terminal will do this for a 140amp. If you go to a higher output alternator like a 230a, then the additional wire should be a 4ga. All the other cables on the truck are sufficient. Going a little higher in ga won't hurt anything but it is important to use a fuse or fuseable link for the additional current rated at the proper size.

Some people feel more comfortable in adding a wire between the alternator terminal and the drivers side battery positive terminal in case a high resistance issue develops between the two batteries positive cabling. That gets more complicated as the size of the wire and fuse has to be implied for the situation your expecting. If current is shared equally then the sizing is simple. But if you are designing around limited flow to one side, how high in amps do you fuse at without exceeding the point you are trying to protect at? It is just more simpler to go to the passenger side and insure that the connections are good at every oil change.

But whatever makes you comfortable! That's why we mod.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...batteries.html

Old 09-22-2015, 07:44 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

The reason I like to think in both perspectives is that I see so many modifiers or vendors who sell cable upgrades only think about the positive side. It's easy to find vendors who supply all this fancy cable and fusing upgrades that in reality are not doing anything for the real issue. It might look great when you open the hood, but you are spending money for a no cure situation. Not that people shouldn't spend money for how they want their truck to look. For the most part I think the Ford engineers sized correctly, it's just the ground or negative side that is deficient.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:53 AM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for all the good info again. I'm going to pick up some new ground cables from the battery's to the frame/block then add one from the driver side frame rail to the engine block. Think that should pretty much cover it. Thanks again.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:10 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Btw, you did a great job documenting your work.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:26 AM
Mark_in_co
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
My perspective ....

You really don't need any alternator negative wire upgrades as all the charging electrons have a large pathway through the block to the 2/0 wire up to the negative terminal on the passenger battery, and an 8ga wire then to the frame pathway. However during the highest load, during starting, the layout is deficient and you need an upgrade by running a 1/0 wire from the drivers frame rail connection to the engine block. IMO, this is the reason that some people have noticed that the passenger side battery is the first to lose its charging ability. A battery's life is determined by how many starting events and how much is drawn at each one of those (with a given it is recharged correctly each time).

With the addition of a higher amp output alternator you do need to upgrade the positive side wire as it is only a 6ga wire. The addition of a fused 12ga wire from the alternator output to the passenger positive terminal will do this for a 140amp. If you go to a higher output alternator like a 230a, then the additional wire should be a 4ga. All the other cables on the truck are sufficient. Going a little higher in ga won't hurt anything but it is important to use a fuse or fuseable link for the additional current rated at the proper size.

Some people feel more comfortable in adding a wire between the alternator terminal and the drivers side battery positive terminal in case a high resistance issue develops between the two batteries positive cabling. That gets more complicated as the size of the wire and fuse has to be implied for the situation your expecting. If current is shared equally then the sizing is simple. But if you are designing around limited flow to one side, how high in amps do you fuse at without exceeding the point you are trying to protect at? It is just more simpler to go to the passenger side and insure that the connections are good at every oil change.

But whatever makes you comfortable! That's why we mod.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...batteries.html
TooManyToys- So I put in a 140 amp alternator just before Memorial Day. I wanna do this upgrade as I am noticing that if I let the truck sit for a week or so, the batteries are low. I doubt this will fix that, but I wanna improve the electrical system! Everything else is stock as far as the wiring goes. So, if I'm reading your posts correctly, I need to add a 24" 1/0 wire from drivers negative frame rail connection to the block where the passenger battery negative connects to? And then I need to add a 12g fused wire from the alternator to passenger positive. What fuse size do I need? Then, where to get the cables?

Old 09-22-2015, 08:51 AM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
Btw, you did a great job documenting your work.
Thank you very much. It was my first little build thread so I hope it helps somebody in the future.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:41 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Awesome thread and great pictures..

It's pretty common once you do this job for your Oil Pressure Sending (OPS) unit to act up "soon". So, if/when you start getting the "check Gage" lite and your Oil Pressure "gauge" reads 0 it's just a simple OPS replacement.. to fix it.

I noticed your OPS was a bit oily already in your early pics.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:44 AM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are correct. The current is what "flows" not the voltage.

I completely agree with Watson, adding extra cables is a good thing.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:24 PM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Misky6.0
Awesome thread and great pictures..

It's pretty common once you do this job for your Oil Pressure Sending (OPS) unit to act up "soon". So, if/when you start getting the "check Gage" lite and your Oil Pressure "gauge" reads 0 it's just a simple OPS replacement.. to fix it.

I noticed your OPS was a bit oily already in your early pics.
Cool thanks for the heads up. I will pick one up and change it next oil change. Then keep the old one for a spare.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:40 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Mark_in_co,

I'll answer over in the battery thread rather then hacking J Balkans excellent thread.