6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Looking at a deleted 6.7. Sold my 7.3.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 09:56 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
I'd like to add a couple comments for the OP and some others. My 6.7L is stock but my 6.4L was deleted and was a far better running truck for it. Lots of reasons why. If I were buying a used 14 that is deleted I'd want to assure myself that head gaskets were not blown. Blown HGs are a known result of tuned/deleted diesels. I know this as I did it. Cost was over 5000 buckeroos. My truck with a blown HG towed my 17,000 lb 5er from Mounteagle TN where I blew it to Montana and home to Georgia. All I had to do was add some coolant following a hard run. Without the trailer it was almost impossible to tell the HG was blown. I would suggest you have a good diesel shop check it. It's a 2 year old truck with 2000 bucks invested in the tuner and exhaust. Why sell? I'm just saying. Also, the tip about getting the exhaust is a good one. Many potential buyers will pass on a modified truck, especially one that is in violation of some federal statutes.

Unless you have an emissions checks for diesels in your state or county nobody really cares about your emissions equipment unless you are a commercial vehicle with a state or federal DOT number.

I just came back from 2 months in California and I must report that the stories I heard about roadside inspections and police everywhere were very over stated. Based on what I encountered they had fewer police out and about than most states. So, I'm sorry we avoided them for so long. Had a great time except I was a little uncomfortable driving around without my pistol.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:28 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
An interesting article that has some very sobering points::
DPF Delete A Double-Edged Sword | Medium Duty Work Truck Info
The EPA can legally come after anyone who physically alters DPF federally mandated emission equipment on all Ford, Chevy/GMC and Dodge pickups, regardless of the fact that they own it.

Section 205 of the Clean Air Act is very clear about the civil penalties: $2,500 per individual consumer pickup truck owner and $25,000 per vehicle for the dealer or installer.

The dealers we spoke with are quite strict about accepting pickups that have had the DPF systems removed.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:43 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
What a terrible article Randy. Anybody can copy rules from a regulation and make them seem like they are enforced like that. It just doesn't happen and most likely never will unless the stopped person pisses off the wrong cop. Also, no dealer would EVER admit to that knowing that it would be going into a news article that is just asking for trouble for their owner. All of the dealerships around here have no problem taking in deleted trucks, modified trucks, stock trucks, etc. All that matters is can they sell them and how much profit. The same thing with gas cars, you think that every dealer is gonna turn away a 2012 Mustang GT because some guy cut the cat off and put on a different exhaust?? NO. They know its what people looking for those cars want.

Bigfoot: Do you ever go over the speed limit???? I think you know where i'm going with this.

Also a vehicle that's' been modified doesn't automatically equate to it being abused. That is some nonsense right there, anybody can get in ANY vehicle and floor it, slam on the brakes, run it hard, etc. You don't need modifications for that. That's why God gave us brains!!!!! There is a reason our fathers told us to look over certain stuff when buying a used vehicle, test drive it, check the oil, look underneath, ask for service records, etc.

Also, don't be mistaken about a truck that has 3000 miles and is deleted. There are a ton of us KIDS(I'm 25 and sure the vast majority of Owners on here are above the age of 30)that buy these trucks then get buyers remorse and try to get out of the truck. All of my friends who are in the same age bracket as me have all had this conversation.

I would say do your homework on the truck, ask to see what service records he has, look at the coolant, oil, transmission fluid. Test drive the truck, ask him if he has done fuel filters, ask for receipts for fuel, You could even ask for him to schedule a look over by the Ford dealership. The only thing I will tell you is to MAKE SURE he includes the tuner in the purchase. You will absolutely need that in case you need to take the tune off, want to change it for more power, and a variety of other things. Send us pictures of the truck and I'm sure we can all chime in and give our input.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:23 PM
chadjones99
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SHOpar
I stomached as many of those links as I could, and it appears all of them are discussing rules, penalties, and checkpoints for commercial operators and generally much larger trucks than ours. Most of them seemed centered around California (no surprise there), and it appears the random checkpoints California uses for private vehicles are 100% voluntary and there are no punitive consequences even if emission system violations are discovered (likely because they know these are unconstitutional stops to begin with). Since most of us on here are not using our trucks commercially, I doubt anyone on here with a deleted truck will ever get stopped for inspection, let alone fined.

These stories of random people being pulled over and fined for emissions violations remind me of the weight police on the RV boards claiming that people in private RVs are being fined and even denied insurance claims for being overweight; lots of hearsay and daunting dialogue, yet never any links to documented cases where this has happened.

As far as that modification warning sticker under the hood of your truck goes, that really doesn't say anything new. You'll notice that Ford isn't stating they are going to wholesale void a warranty because of a modification or two, and that they still have to prove a modification was the direct cause of the failure before denying coverage for a claim.
One of those articles was from 1995 and other two links are broke and were linked to California I agree total BS they stop me I'll tell them to pack sand and without a warrant As I am NOT a commercial vehicle
As for the sticker under your hood I have a tag on my mattress it says I can't remove the tag also I don't think anyone's going to check

Old 09-17-2015, 06:02 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Blown HGs are a known result of tuned/deleted diesels. I know this as I did it.
You left out the part where you were towing above the stock tune

Old 09-17-2015, 07:16 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
We're getting a little sidetracked, can we get back to the OP's situation?

Old 09-18-2015, 01:50 PM
chadjones99
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 2ndStroke
You left out the part where you were towing above the stock tune

I just wonder if he thinks the delete caused the blow head gasket or the tune that came with the delete kit .i.e. 100hp over stock ish

Old 09-20-2015, 11:15 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2ndStroke
You should make sure he gives you all of the emission parts if you buy it, just in case you have to put it back to stock in the future.
X2, I deleted mine for longevity, I do use it as a truck, but I DO NOT abuse it. And, after browsing alot of problem threads, I'm convinced I did the right thing. But, to each his own. I respect individual decisions, either way.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:46 AM
Tamara1219
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much are you seeing in Horsepower and torque increase with the tuner and DEF deletes being done together?

Old 04-06-2017, 12:40 PM
chadjones99
More Turbo
deleted

I have seen 1 to 2 MPG gain only as far as I can tell ,HP not sure I asked for the tune to be stock HP as I just wanted to delete . The turbo is louder , not the exhaust is not much louder.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:43 PM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F.Y.I. there is a very small suburb of new orleans that is stopping diesel trucks that blow black smoke and checking for deleted exhaust filters. I know this through a law enforcement officer that is a relative, he says they are writing them up for the violation. What the fines are I have no idea, even though there is no emissions inspection in the state. If they do it I am sure there are others. I am neither for or against deleted trucks so please do not flame me, I am just putting it out there.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:16 AM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bayou barataria
F.Y.I. there is a very small suburb of new orleans that is stopping diesel trucks that blow black smoke and checking for deleted exhaust filters. I know this through a law enforcement officer that is a relative, he says they are writing them up for the violation. What the fines are I have no idea, even though there is no emissions inspection in the state. If they do it I am sure there are others. I am neithher for or against deleted trucks so please do not flame me, I am just putting it out there.
what town?

Old 04-07-2017, 11:06 AM
chadjones99
More Turbo
no worries

my is deleted and passed my states emissions, of course mine does not blow black smoke.