Alternative fuel question

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 02:39 PM
Runnin Iron Racing
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
binuya, I'm in Tacoma, I have ran WETCO fuel for years. Want to try some? 253.797.4956. They does not use plastic to make fuel. That would kill a engine

Old 10-06-2015, 03:13 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Runnin Iron Racing
They does not use plastic to make fuel. That would kill a engine

I am very interested in the fuel and what it is actually made from. Perhaps the WETCO website is a bit vague, but the following is a direct cut and paste from the website:

Our Technology
WETCO's patent-protected technologies produce an extremely exciting biofuel that is diesel compatible. WETCO's EXIMO machine can turns waste such as tires, plastics, trap grease and more into a clean biofuel we call SnxF2 (pronounced Sin-eff-2).

http://www.wetzelenergy.com/

Old 11-10-2015, 12:08 AM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AN IDI will run just fine on ATF (mineral oil) hydraulic fluid, not the fire resistant stuff, moter oil, used moter oil ( WMO) veg oil WVO and home made BIO and animal fat BIO soy bean oil, rape seed oil, All diesel made now is ULS. Kero is the same as Stove oil, JetA is very similar to kero. less heat than diesel so less power but will run in a diesel engine, kero is also called diesel number 1 and is burned, onroad in winter in northern climates. as it handles the cold better... onroad diesel number 2 is the same as offroad diesel with out the dye. heating oil is dyed diesel number 2.. cali is putting ethanol in its diesel to reduce emissions' much like they they did to gas... ethanol at 10% increases octane by 2 points when added to gas.. I haul the stuff... the diesel engine does not need a lubricating fuel... its injector pump does...an IDI with good injectors will not smoke even when running 80% moter oil/diesel mix.... smoking is a sure sign of worn or leaking injectors fueling the engine at the wrong time..

Old 09-19-2017, 08:23 PM
fyrguy316
New User
Originally Posted by binuya
Ethanol absorbs moisture and gums everything up in a fuel system. It corrodes plastic, rubber, and metal parts not built to handle it. Many seek out gas stations that are known to have the lowest concentrations of ethanol in their pumps, and spend money on additives to combat it's negative effects. Why would you want to put that in your car?
if you look around you can find a small handful of gas stations that carry ethanol free gas.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:29 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaime74656
Ok I been looking and haven't found much of an answer but I am curious if I do use alcohol to fuel my truck (if I'm in a pinch and just need to get to the fuel pump) so I know there wvo and things like that but I'm curious as to other options like k1 kerosene, alcohol and things like that as that is more accessible than bio diesel and some of those fuels
so yes, a powerstroke engine will run off kerosene. it has low lube value so not a good long term fuel.

keep in mind, alternate fuels can have some consequences on your fuel system. thinner fuels could soften things like fuel pressure sensors and thicker fuels could increase fuel pump, rail, and injector pressures.

but during the zombie apocalypse, you might need to move out and only have liquor, cooking oil, tranny fluid, unused engine oil, kerosene, paint thinners, etc to fuel your truck.

the power stroke engine will run off unsed raw vegetable oils if you needed to get from here to there and no other fuel was available. BUT, raw vegetable oils have a lot of glycerin in them and the glycerin could gum up injectors. so also not a good long term fuel.

how long will it take to make raw unused vegetable oils a reliable long term fuel??? about 4 days. add 70 grams of lye to 1 quart of methanol, mix with 3 gallons of clean and unused vegetable oils and let it sit for 4 days. filter it thru some bluejeans to separate the glycerin (soap) and what you have left if a very good bio-fuel (B100). ideally you would want to mix this down to B20 to meet emissions . Nox is higher with bio fuel , but every other emmission value is less.

it will aslo run off transmission fluid.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:33 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
hmmm...too bad menthol isnt readily available...
its the main ingredient in the auto store product called "Heet"

Old 11-11-2017, 02:09 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
its the main ingredient in the auto store product called "Heet"
I get my methanol 5 gallons at a time from the local auto racing store...

Old 11-11-2017, 07:45 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Rushmore X
I get my methanol 5 gallons at a time from the local auto racing store...
Yep. I just picked up another 55 gallon drum last week. Ready for another 300 gallons of fuel production.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:25 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Well perhaps I sho try to make some B100

Old 11-13-2017, 08:58 AM
MNBen
Freshman User
just to experiment with alternitive fules, and see if perhaps I can find something more readially avalible There is no fuel more readily available than gas or diesel. Look around, it's everywhere! that I can buy that will be cheaper to use in the long term, (cost/benefit type analisys type thinking really...

right now (as of post) Diesel is about $2.19 which is fine and dandy, so we will take that and times that lasts say by at least I don't know guesstimating about 1,000 fill ups (as I don't drive far so I get about 1.5 weeksThat would be about 35 fill ups per year. on a tank) 1000 fill ups a year would be a fill up every 2.7 days! And you do that for both vehicles? so im looking (assuming price is consistant which I know it won't be due to fuel price fluctuations) around $2,190 per year or close to thatActually, 1000 fill ups x $2.19/gal x 30 gallons per fill = $65,000, now lets say I find an alternitive source for lets say $.50 per gallon (wether its me buying stuff at the grocery store or making it my self lets say I am at the same 1,000 fill ups per year at that $.50 I am only looking at an avrage of $500 for the fuel per year verses the $2,190.

now lets throw the car into the mix, remember im just guessing on the fill up amount as far as how many I do as I alternate the truck and car, the car is driven mainly in summer time and when weather is sunny.

now lets look at the car (Mustang) at $2.09 per gallon and run the numbers...

so if we take the same 1,000 fill upsAgain, that is a fill up every 2.7 days and fill the take at $2.09 per gallon were looking at $2,090 for the car alone, Actually, 1000 fill ups x $2.09/gal x 13 gallons per fill = $27,170now lets factor the two together!

so now we will look at $2,190 + 2,090 to the tune of $4,208 so right now with current gas prices in looking at a whopping $4,208 for JUST these two cars along, so if we toss the other two cars in at the same figures that the other half has...$4,208 * 2 = $8,416 PER YEAR!!!! You may want to check your budget numbers to see if the two match.

While I don't mind dealing with the fuel expence as I do drive and use the vehicles to get to work and home, if I can save even a tiny amount to reduce the expence even if its by $1 per vehicle over the entire year...hey I would be happy to use a different means for fueling the cars....Park the pony for 6 winter months=no fuel use, no insurance. Do the same for the summer months for your truck. You can do the opposite for you other half's vehicles. There, I just cut your vehicle expenses in half and you did not even have to get up from your computer.

hope this makes some sense to you, and sorry for the long technical I throw numbers at you post!!!
hope this makes some sense to you.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:00 AM
MNBen
Freshman User
Well perhaps I sho try to make some B100
You havn't built a waste oil filter/blend system yet, after more than 2 years?
Come on, its great! (especially the spills)

Old 10-19-2019, 08:37 AM
Mad Cow
New User
Originally Posted by binuya
Ethanol absorbs moisture and gums everything up in a fuel system. It corrodes plastic, rubber, and metal parts not built to handle it. Many seek out gas stations that are known to have the lowest concentrations of ethanol in their pumps, and spend money on additives to combat it's negative effects. Why would you want to put that in your car?
It isn't nearly the evil ogre that you present. I have been using ethanol laced fuels since the late '70's without the issues you describe. I took a '74 Pontiac Catalina to 250,000 miles using E10. My '79 Bronco got a steady diet of E10 and never had a fuel related problem. These were not vehicles that were developed with regular ethanol use in mind. The engine in the Catalina was still good but the car died of extreme body cancer. My current two vehicles have been living off of E85 exclusively for over 3 years. The primary reason I use the stuff is that, even with the lower fuel economy, the lower price of E85 over regular gas is such that it is still cost effective to use. Now that may not be true for others, as E85 pricing fluctuates to extremes based on region. Also, E85 has 100 Octane. In the higher compression engines that have been brought out the last decade, it allows the ECM to take advantage of the max ECU timing map to deliver the most performance of the motor.

If the OEM's would kick out full blown E85 developed engines, then folks would really see the benefit. Cummins developed a E85 2.8L inline 4 that put a Hemi 5.7L to shame in both power and fuel economy. Ricardo (a GM partner) took a 3.6L V6, beefed up the guts, extreme boosted it and fed it E85. It developed the equivalent power as the 6.6L Duramax and delivered diesel level fuel economy. Unfortunately, the current crop of flex fuel vehicles use E85 as an afterthought, so they do not really take advantage of the properties of the fuel.