6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Looking At A 16 Today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 08:51 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Looking At A 16 Today!!!

Hey All,

Ive tracked down a dealer near me that has a 16 on the lot that's close to what Im looking for. Its missing a few things 1 of which is not a huge deal breaker, the other may be but Id like your input.

The truck is a dually, Lariat Ultimate, has the 5th wheel prep (this is important to me for obvious reasons), has 3.73's and looks to be nicely loaded.

So the 2 things that are on my hit list, the first is minor, I wanted dual alternators, but I could rectify this with a DC power alt., at some point so that I can convince myself to over look.

Second is it doesn't have the wide track front axle (not sure of the option designation Max Tow???), I know that I get the 4.30's with that which doesn't bother me too much, but I really wanted the wide track front end. So with that being said, those of you that have the duallys, and daily drive them is it worth me holding out for the wide track front end, or is the difference negligible. Most of my daily routine is city type driving, and the majority of what the truck is used for is towing trailers.

So I guess the question is, with the uncertainty of the '17's looks, should I wait until just before the cut off for ordering 16's stop and just order it? and does anyone know when they will stop accepting orders for 16's?

My other option is there are 2 leftover 15's about 100 miles away from me but neither 1 have the trailer prep, which is important, however for the right price I can over look that and install a B&W myself. With that being said, if I go the 15 route what type of discount should I expect on a 67k truck?

The 16 Im going to look at today they have dropped the price from 68k to 61544...not sure if that's even good. I don't have x-plan or anything so I'm just going in there with what I got.

The worst part is that I was totally ok with keeping my 06, and still am for that matter, except the wife wants to do more traveling next camping season, and with the new addition to the family, I would like a dually to help make the ride more enjoyable for all of us...plus who doesn't want a new truck!!

Thanks and sorry for the long read,

Sarge

Old 09-10-2015, 09:10 AM
skipcox
Mountain Pass

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After driving my 2015 Dually which does not have the wide track, I wish I had ordered the wide track

Old 09-10-2015, 09:31 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Do the 15's have wide track and all the other options you want? I think you should be able to get the 15's into the 50's without much problem.

If none of the trucks have all the important options you want, place an order for a 16 if you can.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:08 AM
Specularius
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a '15 with the wide track front axle and my previous truck, an '11, did not. I would take the 3.73 gears over the 4.30 if I had it to do over. I personally think for a daily driver, the wide track front axle is not enough of a gain to offset the loss with the 4.30 gears.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:26 AM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
We have the wide track. Wife enjoys the wide track for shorter turning radius and I enjoy it for getting fifth when in tight places. I have a slider fifth wheel hitch and with the wide track I have had to slide it back so fifth wheel doesn't hit cab. It will turn the fifth wheel a lot more than 90deg.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:57 AM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
When spending this much money, get what you want. I do not have the widetrack axle and maybe I don't know what I'm missing, never drove one with, don't need the 4.30 gears and hoped for better mileage from the 3.73's. I have no issues getting the trailer where I want it. Not having the 5th prep would be/was a dealbreaker for me on many trucks. Why cut into a new truck when it can be done and painted from the factory. I decided against dual alternators, have no intention of running anything with crazy amp draw, and less to go wrong. The HD single alt in the lariat up models is pretty big on it's own. A word of advise if you order, my biggest regret is the factory spray in liner---dealer has no clue what it is or how to repair it. Get lineX or anything other of your choice done local so you can always get it fixed. Maybe its you're thing, but for me I skipped the chrome package--seems like a major waste of 1400 to me for what you get...............

61,544 down from 68 sounds like you are probably getting close to invoice. See if they will show you invoice price. Then go for invoice minus rebates and see what happens. If there are any rebates on a 16 SD which there may not be right now. My truck came down about 6500 from sticker with invoice minus rebates.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:06 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
That's awesome that you're making the jump Sarge! I'm getting a new truck soon myself and was wondering about the 16-17 dates in case there was something that was a dealbreaker on the 17's. My dealer said he would have the order guides for the 17's before the order banks for the 16's close so that I could make an informed decision. As for looks, the 17's are being unveiled at the State Fair of TX on the 25th of this month so only 2 weeks to go. There is supposed to be a live webfeed for those of us in the other 49 states...

As to the options certain deals do or don't have, this is how I see it. This is just too big a purchase to not have EXACTLY what I want. One option off and it's deal breaker. Others aren't as picky as I am and likely get better deals than I do dealing on a truck that's on the lot somewhere. I just can't do it that way. For you, you'd have to weigh how important the missing options are vs. the increased cost of ordering exactly what you want. It's different for every buyer but I'm on one end of it to the extreme...

As to the wide track and dual alts, both are must haves on my next truck.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:11 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Thanks guys...

Lots to think about, neither of the 15's have 5th wheel prep so I would be cutting the truck, not a big deal as I had to do it to my 06 anyway. I would however install the hitch before it would have a spray in liner done. Id even go as far as removing the hitch and then having it sprayed and then reinstall the hitch after lining. I ws thinking if I could get into the mid to low 50's with a 15 I would be ok with that.

If the 3.73's are enough of a tug to tow a 5th wheel then I would be ok without the wide track axles as well if the deal was that good on a 15. The worst part is duallys are so few and far between up here on a lot that this is the first opportunity for me to drive 1 since I got serious about looking 2 years ago.

I just need to make sure this truck will fit the bill for many many years as I don't think I would be able to afford a replacement if the prices keep on track the way they have been. Hell Im not even sure I can swing it now, but I guess it doesn't hurt to see what the numbers are.

Its nice going into the deal in no way desperate for a new truck, its a want not a need, so I feel I have the leverage I can just walk away.

Thanks for all the repsonses, I may just call the dealer with the 15's for giggles.

Sarge

Old 09-10-2015, 12:15 PM
98x50
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't comment on the wide track axle as my new '15 is SRW, but I can assure you the 5th wheel prep was one of my top priorities as I already had a Reese Signature hitch in my '06. $130 foot kit and my hitch dropped right into the '15. The prep easily saves a couple hundred bucks and the labor of trying to install it yourself.

Deal wise you might be able to really save on a '15 and unless I missed something the 16's are just a carry over. My '15 was $67,520 MSRP, they knocked $10,000 off, gave me $19,600 for my '06 and the 0% for 72 months sealed the deal.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:15 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
That's awesome that you're making the jump Sarge! I'm getting a new truck soon myself and was wondering about the 16-17 dates in case there was something that was a dealbreaker on the 17's. My dealer said he would have the order guides for the 17's before the order banks for the 16's close so that I could make an informed decision. As for looks, the 17's are being unveiled at the State Fair of TX on the 25th of this month so only 2 weeks to go. There is supposed to be a live webfeed for those of us in the other 49 states...

As to the options certain deals do or don't have, this is how I see it. This is just too big a purchase to not have EXACTLY what I want. One option off and it's deal breaker. Others aren't as picky as I am and likely get better deals than I do dealing on a truck that's on the lot somewhere. I just can't do it that way. For you, you'd have to weigh how important the missing options are vs. the increased cost of ordering exactly what you want. It's different for every buyer but I'm on one end of it to the extreme...

As to the wide track and dual alts, both are must haves on my next truck.
Im not sure Im making the jump...just looking

Old 09-10-2015, 12:17 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 98x50
I can't comment on the wide track axle as my new '15 is SRW, but I can assure you the 5th wheel prep was one of my top priorities as I already had a Reese Signature hitch in my '06. $130 foot kit and my hitch dropped right into the '15. The prep easily saves a couple hundred bucks and the labor of trying to install it yourself.

Deal wise you might be able to really save on a '15 and unless I missed something the 16's are just a carry over. My '15 was $67,520 MSRP, they knocked $10,000 off, gave me $19,600 for my '06 and the 0% for 72 months sealed the deal.
How many miles were on the 06 if you don't mind me asking?

Old 09-10-2015, 12:20 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarge261
Im not sure Im making the jump...just looking

Ah ha. That's how it starts...

Old 09-10-2015, 01:22 PM
98x50
Junior User
Originally Posted by Sarge261
How many miles were on the 06 if you don't mind me asking?
61k on my '06. Bought it new on a 0%/60 in the fall of 2006 as a left over the same way I did the '15. I was out the door at around $41,300 on it so you can see the '15 was an awesome deal with my trade equity.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,606 Likes on 1,640 Posts
As far as gearing is concerned, I have the 3.73's and have pulled my 41' Raptor up and down the Rocky Mountain states with no issues what so ever. I can't speak for the wide track and the shorter turning radius, I know I just pick my parking spots, which are generally farther out, which is where I like to park anyway!

This thing still turns shorter than the Kenworth's that I drove for years anyway!!

But, if you are looking for a long time purchase and don't min d the wait for a special order......go for what you really want!!! By all means!

Old 09-10-2015, 06:07 PM
98x50
Junior User
Originally Posted by 98x50
I was out the door at around $41,300 on it so you can see the '15 was an awesome deal with my trade equity.
Which makes more sense when I explain I was out the door with the '15 at $42,600 or so. Yeah, I paid about $1400 more for the '15 then the '06 nine years ago! I can't imagine I'll get that lucky again!

Quick Reply: Looking At A 16 Today!!!