1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Will not crank over.Passive Anti-theft system Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 03:27 PM
rickebowdle
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Will not crank over.Passive Anti-theft system Problem

I have a 2008 F-350. The Anti-theft light blinks rapidly and the truck will not turn over. Give it some time or take the key out of the ignition and in repeatedly and it will start. Sometimes not till the next day. I have replaced the transceiver & key. Did not fix the problem. Dealers all say: they have never seen this before. I have to think someone else has had this problem to. I would like to just bypass the Anti-theft system if possible. PLEASE HELP, THANKS," the truck hostage."
There are times I will just let it run for hours not to be stuck.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:12 AM
Dani Dickerson
New User
Me too

The anti theft device is sending a signal to the fuel pump to not turn on because it believes the vehicle is being stolen. I am dealing with the same issue. I was told but a new cpu. Well, that's not a reality to me so I'm looking into bypassing which will in turn shut the anti theft device off permanently. It can be done, just haven't

Old 06-02-2016, 05:28 PM
tsedgar
Hawkerpilot05
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rickebowdle
I have a 2008 F-350. The Anti-theft light blinks rapidly and the truck will not turn over. Give it some time or take the key out of the ignition and in repeatedly and it will start. Sometimes not till the next day. I have replaced the transceiver & key. Did not fix the problem. Dealers all say: they have never seen this before. I have to think someone else has had this problem to. I would like to just bypass the Anti-theft system if possible. PLEASE HELP, THANKS," the truck hostage."
There are times I will just let it run for hours not to be stuck.
Are you running a custom tune? My brother had this problem. He had been running a custom tune for some time and then one day it wouldn't start. He loaded the Ford tune back in it but it still wouldn't start. It was still under warranty and it was towed into Ford and they found no problems and reprogrammed the PCM and it never happened again. He didn't try putting his tune back on as he didn't know if it would happen again.

2005 Ford F250 Crew Cab 5.4l 3 valve

Old 06-03-2016, 02:24 PM
rickebowdle
New User
Antitheft System problem.

Originally Posted by Dani Dickerson
The anti theft device is sending a signal to the fuel pump to not turn on because it believes the vehicle is being stolen. I am dealing with the same issue. I was told but a new cpu. Well, that's not a reality to me so I'm looking into bypassing which will in turn shut the anti theft device off permanently. It can be done, just haven't
I have had the 2008 truck back to the dealer three more times for antitheft problem. They were able to duplicate the problem with Ford analyst. They reflashed the entire system next action would be to replace the entire wire harness, of course with no guarantee that it will fix the problem. I was told that if I have the anti theft the system bypassed every time they reflash the system it will cause big problems. Still intermittent problems starting. Ford will not own up to this problem of theirs.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:48 PM
lhreddin
New User
I have the same problem. Fast blinking light. I turn the key slowly 30 - 40 times until the flashing lock light remains lit and the P on the gear selector lights up. Then it will start. I to have to leave the truck running all day to get my work done. I only hope someone can help.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:02 PM
StofferDK
New User
Same thing happend to me and my 08 250 Superduty,..came home Friday and Sunday it just refused to start - tried all tricks in the book, disconnected the battery for hours, turned the key on and off like hundreds of times....NOTHING !
This is no more than a scandal that Fords ouh so reliable trucks attack you in the back for no reason at all, and they have the nerve to charge you between 150 - 200$ to fix the problem... THEIR PROBLEM.., if you'll be so kind to bring it in !
I must say Ford makes it hard to be enthusiastic !

Old 04-23-2019, 11:51 PM
ivanlnelson
New User
2006 Superduy anti theft Light comes on and truck stops

Originally Posted by StofferDK
Same thing happend to me and my 08 250 Superduty,..came home Friday and Sunday it just refused to start - tried all tricks in the book, disconnected the battery for hours, turned the key on and off like hundreds of times....NOTHING !
This is no more than a scandal that Fords ouh so reliable trucks attack you in the back for no reason at all, and they have the nerve to charge you between 150 - 200$ to fix the problem... THEIR PROBLEM.., if you'll be so kind to bring it in !
I must say Ford makes it hard to be enthusiastic !

I have the same issue. My F150 Superduty will just randomly shutoff. Could be 5 miles or 30 miles driven. After disconnecting the battery cables for 10-15 minutes it will start again.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:27 PM
Djosbun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 155 Likes on 125 Posts
Pull the fuse box and check the back side of it for any stains or crusties. Check all relay connections for same. If truck runs well and just shuts off you more than likely have an electrical issue. Take your time and you will find the cause.

— Dave

Old 11-20-2020, 11:40 AM
Joe1978
New User
No crank antiteft blinks

Hi I think I’m having the same problem, Were you able to find out what was wrong my truck as it started in a week, any help will be greatly appreciated

Old 02-05-2021, 09:43 PM
rectford
New User
Originally Posted by Joe1978
Hi I think I’m having the same problem, Were you able to find out what was wrong my truck as it started in a week, any help will be greatly appreciated

Any way to disable the PATS? I’m in the same boat. Owned truck about 6 years. Bought it with 49k miles now has 79k. Problem just started.

Old 02-06-2021, 07:33 PM
Fefanatic
Fleet Mechanic
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts
I bought a '09 that was a repo and had to have a key made for it. The locksmith did not program truck to key so it would crank but not start. The pats system should allow the engine to crank. I had to replace the smart module behind the passenger kick pad and the pats system had to be reprogrammed again. I believe the pats system is in that smart module. FWIW...

Old 02-08-2021, 07:10 PM
rectford
New User
Originally Posted by Fefanatic
I bought a '09 that was a repo and had to have a key made for it. The locksmith did not program truck to key so it would crank but not start. The pats system should allow the engine to crank. I had to replace the smart module behind the passenger kick pad and the pats system had to be reprogrammed again. I believe the pats system is in that smart module. FWIW...
Thanks for the info. I’m still working on it. I’ll report back here if I can get her started again.

Old 02-09-2021, 11:09 AM
ifrythings
Laughing Gas
Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
There are 3 main parts to the PATS system, the PATS transceiver (part around the key cylinder that reads the key), the instrument cluster and the PCM. The Smart Junction Box (later called a BCM) doesn’t handle the PATS system till 2011+ trucks.

Your best bet for fixing this is get a cheap USB/Bluetooth/wifi to CAN bus adapter and run forscan and see what codes you are getting, till then anything you do is throwing money into a black hole.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:27 AM
ClunkgoestheFord
New User
Originally Posted by rectford
Any way to disable the PATS? I’m in the same boat. Owned truck about 6 years. Bought it with 49k miles now has 79k. Problem just started.
Same problem on my 2006. The only "fix" I've found is that whenever it happens, I disconnect the battery terminals and hold them together for 20-30 seconds. Then reconnect the battery and the truck will start. I have to reset the clock and my favorites on the radio each time, but it happens infrequently enough that I put up with it.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:40 AM
rectford
New User
Originally Posted by ClunkgoestheFord
Same problem on my 2006. The only "fix" I've found is that whenever it happens, I disconnect the battery terminals and hold them together for 20-30 seconds. Then reconnect the battery and the truck will start. I have to reset the clock and my favorites on the radio each time, but it happens infrequently enough that I put up with it.
Sorry for the lack of update. I did finally get my old laptop up and running with Forscan. Still haven’t found the problem, but I can now clear the PATS codes and then the truck will start just fine, but only once or twice.

Quick Reply: 2008 Will not crank over.Passive Anti-theft system Problem