1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I said Id expose my 9" BRAKE MISTAKE.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 12:52 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I said Id expose my 9" BRAKE MISTAKE.

Ok with the drums off it took about 2 seconds to see my glaring mistake. I assembled the brakes and backing plates on a table and apparently got them turned around when it came to bolting them to the axle on the floor which apparently was turned around at that point.. DUH I cant believe it, yes I can its typical me. Here's the pics ,all of which are of the passenger side (the right side, hint). I said I would show my embarrassing mistake so here it is. Im only guessing at this point but im pretty sure this is causing my problem trying to adjust those rear brakes LOL. I had to walk away for the night but if I didn't damage anything I think I can just swap backing plates with each other, and re bleed the brakes. It's ok to laugh (I did) ,but any input would be ok to.

Attached Images    
Old 09-08-2015, 01:01 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Well, I'm not familiar with your braking system. But if you mean the part with the "L" on it doesn't belong on the right side, I see what you mean.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:19 AM
Mediarocker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
Well, I'm not familiar with your braking system. But if you mean the part with the "L" on it doesn't belong on the right side, I see what you mean.
Typically, in my experience, the self-adjusting mechanism (the star toothed turnbuckle located at the top) is located on the bottom... not the top

Old 09-08-2015, 01:30 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Wow. Is that... Possible*?

It must be... And It ain't April 1st. So. Hm. The primary or "short" shoe is facing to the front, that part is correct - well, maybe not when running upside down? ha! My head hurts. Lots of time this is wrong anyway, or two longs on one side, etc.

I have read a couple of the older brake guys comments on some of the other forums, and they say "back in the day" an awful lot of the brakes they saw every day were usually messed up in some way by folks trying to save money.

* Full disclosure, sure I've done something just as bad, though can't think of anything at the moment.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:33 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Originally Posted by Mediarocker
Typically, in my experience, the self-adjusting mechanism (the star toothed turnbuckle located at the top) is located on the bottom... not the top
Exactly they are upside down, and on the wrong side, oh my goodness. I thought it odd that the wheel cylinder was on the bottom when I plumbed them, but Heck I put them together a while back and hadn't pulled the drums off since (Im Really Laughing Out Loud). Oh well I just have to laugh and move on. I hope this drops to the bottom of the page quickly.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:37 AM
Mediarocker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Exactly they are upside down, and on the wrong side, oh my goodness. I thought it odd that the wheel cylinder was on the bottom when I plumbed them, but Heck I put them together a while back and hadn't pulled the drums off since (Im Really Laughing Out Loud). Oh well I just have to laugh and move on. I hope this drops to the bottom of the page quickly.
Oh think nothing of it. I forgot to put a pickup tube on my motor after bolting the oil pan back on and bolting up the motor mounts. The worst part was getting that stupid 3 piece gasket back on.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:06 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
You all have been very kind about this embarrassment, so Im going to put that under my pillow and go to bed, while Im ahead. Thank you and Good night.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:58 AM
Ibuildmyown
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That took guts to post such a big boo boo , hats off to you Jimmy.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:26 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
LOL, are you sure the axle isn't upside down?! Hard to believe the hard lines reached the wheel cylinders with them on the bottom.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:31 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Ibuildmyown
That took guts to post such a big boo boo , hats off to you Jimmy.
Agreed....I'd be inclined to sweep it under the rug. Along with all the other dumb stuff I've done.

Kudos to you Jim. No harm done and move on to the next thing!

Old 09-08-2015, 09:33 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
You know, they look like they are up the right way from where I am, but I AM down under! Heheh.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:05 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Jimmy,
You aren't alone over there in Paradise! I was working with my son
replacing our thermostat housing - took out the old one - fumbled around on the bench a bit. My son asked for the new thermostat to install & I handed him the closest one - yep - the original one. He wasn't super happy to have reinstalled the thermostat housing he had just taken out......

Coffee - lot's of coffee....

Hang in there Jimmy!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 09-08-2015, 11:22 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey Jimmy; I'd complain to the manufacture. There should be an arrow on those arm's.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:55 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
HOW is that even possible? Are you sure you don't have the camera upside down? LOL. You get rep points for having the guts to show us your mistake.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:06 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Weed is legal in CO, not in Cali, hm? (kidding)

Was jetting a carb and had removed the #5 plug to see color. A couple days later buttoned everything up (so I thought) and started it up in the garage. Man, what a racket! It took way too long to figure out what had happened was the scary part.

Quick Reply: I said Id expose my 9" BRAKE MISTAKE.