Fleet Mechanic
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
What I said at #91. $$$$$$$$$$$

Old 01-07-2016, 09:59 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
Wow! That thing just leaves me speechless, I don't even have a smart-alec remark.
That's more rare than ME not having a smart aleck remark. I'll take that as a S. Dakota compliment! Sometimes I wake up at 3am unable to sleep and it takes everything in me to not go down to the cold unheated shop and bust a few moves on this thing. I have the wood, I have the engines, I have the steel for the bracketry and it just pulls me like a giant rare earth magnet. I'm a sick individual.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:06 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
ll, I was thinking it wood (play on words) make a great paddy wagon. A jailbar jail wagon...........

Old 01-07-2016, 10:08 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Pretty sure your ancestors were the flathead tribe from Montana

Old 01-07-2016, 10:14 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
I don't think we have enough felons on the island to fill it up. Not since my 4 kids moved to Seattle anyways. Actually just a few car wrecks and minor drinking infractions. Normal stuff. My oldest son graduated from U of W but at one time spent 5 nights in king county jail... on work release and worked at a super fancy downtown restaurant. They let him out at night to wait tables, like at a Wa state mayoral conference. All those mayors had no idea their wine steward had just zipped out of his orange jump-suit an hour before. Well enough of that. They are all productive citizens today.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:27 AM
michael a
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With any luck at all your helper may take another day offYou sir are a master in your craft.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:47 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Well, Danny ended up spending 2 nights in the hospital with a bleeding ulcer. I picked up the ball and kept work going but over the weekend I worked on getting the belt line correct on the woodie. The '47 woodie wagons had a triple bead but my commercial trucks and woodies had a bead like this. I decided to incorporate the commercial truck bead in maple to mimic what Henry and the boys designed.

Attached Images    
Old 01-13-2016, 09:02 PM
Joe777
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hope Danny is on the mend! That woodwork is looking amazing as usual. What are you planning to use to protect/preserve the wood?

Old 01-13-2016, 09:43 PM
tacomacream
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
Well, Danny ended up spending 2 nights in the hospital with a bleeding ulcer. I picked up the ball and kept work going but over the weekend I worked on getting the belt line correct on the woodie. The '47 woodie wagons had a triple bead but my commercial trucks and woodies had a bead like this. I decided to incorporate the commercial truck bead in maple to mimic what Henry and the boys designed.
That is a good idea. You plan to use metal front doors correct?

Old 01-13-2016, 10:49 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
No, all woodies I have seen except for morris minors use wood front doors. I have kept the scale the same as the pickup so I can steal the roll up guts from regular doors that are rusty. The second (backseat)doors will have slider back and forth windows. So much easier and normal for woodies. The rearmost windows on mine will be a fixed piece of glass. It doesn't get hot in Western Wa....... Tailgate is what we always had when we were kids. Drop down/fold up.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:54 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tacomacream
That is a good idea. You plan to use metal front doors correct?
The early photos showed the panel truck front door I installed temporary so I could extend the lines of the belt line and window bottoms aft and get a constant flow of body contour. That's why I hung it on there.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:58 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Joe777
Hope Danny is on the mend! That woodwork is looking amazing as usual. What are you planning to use to protect/preserve the wood?
Thinking a thin oil finish at first and let it age outside for a month, then old fashioned marine varnish. Nobody leaves these things out in the driveway anymore. I can't do body work to match a yacht varnish job on new wood, so I hope the whole vehicle when completed will look a bit 'aged'. Not beat up like my tonner panel, just not showroom new.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:02 PM
tacomacream
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
The early photos showed the panel truck front door I installed temporary so I could extend the lines of the belt line and window bottoms aft and get a constant flow of body contour. That's why I hung it on there.
------------------

Old 01-14-2016, 03:00 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Nice!! Do you have a shaper you do that side molding in?

Old 01-14-2016, 12:32 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Just a 20 year old 3hp router in a router table. When a job calls for big custom moldings we have a big millwork outfit produce them for us. Then we pass that cost onto the customer and add 20%. This belt line took 2 cutters that I already had, and then some hand shaping to fine tune. Worst part is sanding out burn marks in rock maple.

Quick Reply: Jailbar woody wagon