Rear suspension help? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rear suspension help?

Old 08-29-2015, 05:53 PM
Freshman User

Last Triumph is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rear suspension help?

I'm still planning my F5/F6 build and am considering alternatives to the leaf spring rear suspension.

Ladder bards are out of the question do to street use and the binding issues they suffer.

When looking at 4 bars systems, whether triangulated or with a panhard rod or watts link, the geometry gets all goofy because of the axle sitting so much lower than the frame rails due to them not kicking up above the axle. I've plotted the numbers and to make a 4 bar system would have terrible roll over steer due to the lower links pointing upwards.

As I'll be using this as a hauler, I want to run it on air suspension to aid the correct ride height under load and improve the ride quality.

What options are out there that will work with the axle being under the frame rail plane, rather than directly behind it like on a C notched or raised rear chassis?

Is leaf springs really the only way?

If I wanted it to run on air with leaves, would I remove all but the main leaf and just use this for axle location purposes and use the air spring to provide the spring strength and ride height?

Thoughts please?

Cheers!
Old 08-30-2015, 09:07 AM
Post Fiend

AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
Thinking about this for a while, I think for your situation and needs, you might want to consider a NASCAR style long trailing arm/panhard bar setup. I'd have to run the numbers, but I think it would satisfy all your parameters, simple, perfect for bags, no significant binding with your axle location. If you want to discuss this, send me a PM or email with your email address. To do so, click on my user name, select either send PM or email from the drop down list.