Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Ford F53 Chassis MotorHome P0715 P0720 speed sensor codes Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:37 PM
Robv27
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis
I guess my question would be - to where would you connect the missing sensors if you were to somehow install them? I read through this pretty quickly but it seems to me you don't seem to have some of the pins that some of the diagrams say your computer should have? Nor can you locate any stray wiring + connectors that are missing their sensors? Nor do you have the actual sensors installed that FTE knowledge says you should have?
You're right. working on getting this info to see if it can be done!!

Originally Posted by ctubutis
Perhaps somebody installed an incorrect replacement computer; perhaps the missing wires were purposely cut off at the harness; perhaps the transmission has been replaced with something that "will work" but is not quite correct; perhaps you've been screwed, and somebody reset the codes which allowed it to run for a short while during a test drive, thereby hiding the problems.

And they did install the incorrect computer, I found that out today, Ill give more info down there!!

Old 08-26-2015, 08:44 PM
Robv27
New User
Originally Posted by Vwags
OP have you tried clearing the codes and see how it drives? Not that it will fix anything but may help you to see more clearly how it could be ok and now it isn't.
Vwags, I did! I even bought my own scanner to clear the codes, while they are pending, it won't cut off!! but when the SVC eng Light comes one, than it sometimes cuts off or stalls. so I keep clearing the pending codes so it wont cut off/stall on me!

Old 08-26-2015, 09:18 PM
Robv27
New User
Ok so I have some good Updated info!! I called Ford Tech line this morning and talked to a Tech name Karl and he emailed me diagram for the F53 Chassis for MH. he did tell me that between 99 and 2001 the F53 Chassis for motor homes used different electronics than trucks or whatever else the F53 were used for!!. I was like... hummm, interesting. in the diagram for the engine/ transmission, the TSS and OSS are no where to be seen. So this afternoon after work, I decided to pull out my PCM completely and I notice that the PCM numbers on the Black box that holds it in was different than the PCM, so right than, I thought that the PCM in my MH was not the original one! so I got my obd scanner and tried to pull out the vin number through the scanner and in fact it has a different VIN than my MH's VIN number. So I went on Autocheck.com and put in the PCM's VIN number and it belongs to a 99 Ford F350 Super duty!!! I think I have found my problem!!!
I did a quick search on the internet tonight for the PCM number on the black cover and I found 3 for sale in Junkyards around the US. THe interesting thing is that all 3 PCMs belongs to Motor homes. 1 year 2000 and 2 year 99!!! Ha!! so I think we all are learning something new!!! F53 MHs use a very different PCM system than everything else!! now, how it works without those sensors are a mistery to me, but tomorrow I will call Ford Tech back to make sure that is the right TCM for me before I buy one, and ill ask about how the tranny knows when to shift and all of that!!! any way! im pretty happy for now!!! I think and hope that if I buy a new PCM ill be all set. And I do have the option of installing the sensors because I now believe this PCM in the RV has the channels for them, but I think I prefer to install the right PCM cause that way it'll be all back to stock!! well, for now, thanks for all of everyones help!! I really appreciated and I will keep you guys posted on whats going on!!!

PS. the PCM in the RV now is part number XC3F-BCC and the one in the black cover box is XC3F-CFD, wich I believe is my original part number!! If anyone has one or knows of one, please let me know!!! Thanks in advance!!

Old 08-27-2015, 06:21 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
There is no TCM in your vehicle. The PCM controls the engine and transmission.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:50 AM
Robv27
New User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
There is no TCM in your vehicle. The PCM controls the engine and transmission.
Mark, you are absolutely right! That was a Typo! I meant to write PCM! Thanks!

Old 08-27-2015, 07:01 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
You misinterpreted my previous post, I simply meant that we are unable to help, not that we are unwilling to do so.

Is this a 99 or a 00 chassis? What are the first 10 digits of the VIN?

Poking through the 99 and 00 EVTMs, the 99 shows a 4R100 but no OSS/TSS, while the 00-later shows a 4R100 with the OSS/TSS sensors in the drawings. Now, I've seen plenty of errors in the various EVTMs over the years so this might just be another... or it may indicate that the early F53 chassis units had some sort of variant of the 4R100 (perhaps left over E4OD?) transmissions. Dunno.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:08 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Robv27
I think that's what its all about!! Maybe some day someone will need info from this thread and we all we'll end up helping them!
I've already learned something new from this thread, and so it seems, has Mark and projectSHO89.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:25 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Yes I have. They may have used E4ODs instead of 4R100s in the '99 F-53 chassis.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:29 AM
Robv27
New User
Ok guys!! im glad we are all it the same page!! Im feeling good because I have a good update to everyone!
Called Ford Tech Support this Morning again and luckly or I call Blessedly I talked to the same Tech Karl, who is an awesome person, so i told them I had found that the PCM in the RV that did not match the VIN number on my RV. So i gave him the part number of this PCM and he checked and confirmed that was the problem... this PCM calls for the TSS and OSS sensors. So i than gave him my Black cover box PCM number and he said it was the right one, and he even said i had an updated part # there because my RV could use also a TCM # XC3F-CFC but this was superseded to the one I'm supposed to have which is XC3Z-CFD. I asked him if the right PCM was to have the sensors, and he confirmed me that the right PCM for my RV does not read the transmission's data through the TSS and OSS and it doesn't use them. that's why they aren't there!!!!!The trans in fact it gets signal from ABS, VSS(Pumpkin), Trans control switch, MAF sensor, IAT sensor, transmission fluid sensor,Tach (RPM), and throttle position!!! Smart hummm, but scary relying in all these sensors and electronics!! But anyways, I'm extremely relieved and although i feel i got ripped of in this sale, God has a plan! and im still happy cause i paid about 30% of what its worth, and it will be running good soon, and i saved an RV from going to the scrapper...lol
Went to Ford local dealer, and the parts guy said they cant get these PCMs anymore. so i search the net this morning and found a used one with lifetime warranty and checked at this Flagship one Inc. that had great reviews and that fixes electronics and these PCMs. So talked to Craig (great guy btw too) and he also confirmed this 2 are the ONLY 2 PCMs that will work on my RV. not cheap! $379 bucks but its all good!! Im a Happy Camper now, and it should be here sometime next week, I'll slap it on, drive it and ill let you guys know how good it runs!!! Again, Thanks everyone for all the help around here!!, and remember like me... humbly I say this; theres always room to learn!!

Old 08-27-2015, 11:32 AM
Robv27
New User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Yes I have. They may have used E4ODs instead of 4R100s in the '99 F-53 chassis.
Mark, Ford Tech, the local dealer and my vin plate (says"E" under TR) have confirmed i have a 4R100.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:54 PM
Vwags
Elder User
Vwags, I did! I even bought my own scanner to clear the codes, while they are pending, it won't cut off!! but when the SVC eng Light comes one, than it sometimes cuts off or stalls. so I keep clearing the pending codes so it wont cut off/stall on me!
Well I love when I provide help that has already been tried. Oh well. Good news that it seems to be moving in the right direction.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:11 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
<p>Well thank you for the good news/update, and let us know if this solves your problem. </p>

Old 08-27-2015, 07:46 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Mark, Ford Tech, the local dealer and my vin plate (says"E" under TR) have confirmed i have a 4R100.
"E" was used for both the E4OD and 4R100.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:17 PM
Decipha
Cross-Country
hold up a second, am i understanding this correctly, a 4R100 factory equipped that lacks a TSS and OSS?

OP- or anyone, if you can provide me with the ecu four character alpha-numeic catch code, a binary file , or ship me an ecu I would gladly go through the code to see exactly how its being controlled. I have a bunch of blank PCM cores and I'll be more than happy to send you back a 2nd spare PCM for free as well just in case yours ever craps out.
​​
I hardly browse on here but you can contact me 24/7 directly on my mobile at five oh four six oh six oh five three two or shoot me an email decipha at efidynotuning dot com

Mark, do you know if the TSS and OSS are detrimental? I know the OSS isn't needed and can be disabled code wise with minor adjustment amd no ill effects but it was my understanding the TSS is used to sync 2nd gear downshifts and actuate the coasting clutch solenoid? Do you know of any differences between that 4R100 with no TSS/OSS and the others that use them? You can reach me on my mobile if you dont mind.

-Michael

Old 01-30-2017, 09:25 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

The TSS is used for torque converter clutch control. Both the OSS and TSS are used for on board diagnostics. Its been too mwny years for me to remember what the OSS was used for in the control software. Its been more than 20 years since ive looked at that.

Quick Reply: Ford F53 Chassis MotorHome P0715 P0720 speed sensor codes Please help!