1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

69' LWB Daily Driven College-budget Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 02:39 AM
FALLN_69F100
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The title says it all, I'm still in college, so funds are extremely limited and it's my only ride so I drive it everywhere.

I am the third owner,bought it from a guy in LA who used it as a work truck. Currently she has a worn out 240 with a 3 on the tree, and the stock manual drums and open diff. The PO also put in power steering and F-250 springs(getting these out eventually).

Anyways pictures explain better than words

This is after a lonnng time cleaning, I can't seem to find pictures of when I first got her but I'll be sure to post if I run into them.

Before some scrubbing

After scrubbing and some tireblack/mothers metal polish.

For whatever reason I really like this picture

Now I have to admit the truck actually looks worse than this right now,(alot worse actually) a year living a block away from the ocean while at school has added some surface rust and oxidized her shoes again.....all of which will hopefully be fixed soon.

Also if you are wondering who the idiot that painted my front bumper is, ya that would be me. For whatever reason I thought the ford white rattle can would be a match.... uh huh, should have left it rusty.

As it is, I'm busy doing stuff for the truck which you will see shortly, I will add pictures of what has/ is happening as soon as I get some time.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:37 AM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I wish I had your F250 springs, I'd trade you if you lived closer

Old 08-13-2015, 05:15 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Only a 6,000 mile run Cracker, you could leave on Tuesday, get up Sat. help him make the swap and be back home next week. Take 40 out and 20 back, see a lot of the US of A.

John

Old 08-13-2015, 05:27 AM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by jowilker
Only a 6,000 mile run Cracker, you could leave on Tuesday, get up Sat. help him make the swap and be back home next week. Take 40 out and 20 back, see a lot of the US of A.

John
Burn a week of vacation time so I can save the $300 new F250 springs would cost

I'd love to make a trip like that someday though, although I'd probably just go to the Grand Canyon and turn around there. And I'd have to do a mix of 40 20 and 10 because my family in Texas would be insulted if I didn't stop for a day to visit them and my family in Louisiana would be insulted if I didn't stop there too!

Old 08-13-2015, 06:49 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
Hey, just curious, why do you say the 240CID engine is worn out? Those can be pretty good engines. I sure like the one in my 69. Waiting to see how the rebuilt one in my 71 fares.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:54 AM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cracker289
Burn a week of vacation time so I can save the $300 new F250 springs would cost

I'd love to make a trip like that someday though, although I'd probably just go to the Grand Canyon and turn around there. And I'd have to do a mix of 40 20 and 10 because my family in Texas would be insulted if I didn't stop for a day to visit them and my family in Louisiana would be insulted if I didn't stop there too!
My house is 10 minutes to I40. 10 miles north and then make a left turn! I don't even need a gps! Let me know if you go, I'll jump in and make a caravan with you. It would be a blast!

Old 08-13-2015, 06:55 AM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, so what is the plan for "hopefully fixed soon"? What's first?

Old 08-13-2015, 10:41 AM
FALLN_69F100
Junior User
Did the 3g swap awhile back when my alt regulator went out. Very happy with the extra power I'm getting. I still need to clean off the paint that they mark them with at the junker.

Man what a difference

Modified the bottom bracket/support, it was painted with engine enamel, I just don't have a picture at that stage.

The local auto stores were fresh out of megafuse holders, so I made my own...

The alt pulley had its front nub shaved off, and now fits really nicely.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:07 AM
FALLN_69F100
Junior User
Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
Hey, just curious, why do you say the 240CID engine is worn out? Those can be pretty good engines. I sure like the one in my 69. Waiting to see how the rebuilt one in my 71 fares.

I love the 240, it has been a work horse for me, but it will coat the spark plugs with oil 5 miles after I clean them out.

Originally Posted by mjunk1
OP, so what is the plan for "hopefully fixed soon"? What's first?
My plans for the truck are enormous and ever-changing. So I will probably just post plans as I actually get to start them, because I've thought of going many different directions with this truck.

Right now I'm working on a light module of sorts. My blinkers went out(probably just the switch I know) so I decided to get out the soldering iron and build a board to control the front and rear lights that will patch into the existing switches. Oh and run new wire front to back because I had it. A prototype is in the truck right now, I wouldn't dare show picture of that mess, but the final board/module/whatever you want to call it will be documented.

While I make sure the lights work well, I have a good motor on the stand and just got my gasket kit yesterday. Pics to come when I get off work

Old 08-13-2015, 04:00 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Low buck is the name of the game when in school.... I say spend wisely and since with extra time btwn term/white papers, reading, and projects.. clean and detail it to the hilt. Keep it simple.

Assemble an electrolysis vat (it's like an ongoing science experiment!) to de-rust parts and restore/rebuild the stock parts.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:12 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by FALLN_69F100
I love the 240, it has been a work horse for me, but it will coat the spark plugs with oil 5 miles after I clean them out.
Why don't you think about a ring job, keep it running til you graduate and start earning some bill paying money.

John

Old 08-13-2015, 10:44 PM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by mjunk1
My house is 10 minutes to I40. 10 miles north and then make a left turn! I don't even need a gps! Let me know if you go, I'll jump in and make a caravan with you. It would be a blast!
I'm right off of I-40 too but it looks you're quite a bit west of me (I'm 20 miles east of Raleigh).

Old 08-14-2015, 12:05 AM
FALLN_69F100
Junior User
A few weeks ago my driver side window stopped rolling down... took it apart and look what we have, a broken drive gear bearing(if that's what its called?)

Found a new regulator on ebay for fairly cheap and swapped the drive gear over to mine, not before removing rust, primering and shooting with satin black.

While I was in there, I figured I may as well clean up the inside of the door, so I used sand paper then naval jelly to remove as much rust from the inside of the door as I could(really not bad at all to start with), the primed and painted with flat white.

I also threw in some ghetto sound deadening, you know, the stuff you guys all rag on that's not really a sound deadener but is a roofing product. I used useal, from home depot. It really doesn't seem to be asphault based, and didn't smell like tar or roofing at all when applying with a heat gun.
I got maybe 80-90% coverage on the inside of the door, maybe 75%? on the outside of the door, and pretty close to 100% on the door panel. Forgive me I am not sure on the correct terminology.

It worked really well, at least when knocking on the door instead of a tin can it sounds more like your knocking on wood. I'll try to get a video up comparing the difference.

Also this is completely random but due to my work/school schedule, most of the time when I work, its dark outside, so I added some lighting to under the hood. The light is alot more blue than I expected, but for now it does its job very well. Also super nice to have if you ever get stuck in a parking lot, or on the side of the road, not that that has ever happened to me or any of you

Old 08-14-2015, 12:18 AM
FALLN_69F100
Junior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Low buck is the name of the game when in school.... I say spend wisely and since with extra time btwn term/white papers, reading, and projects.. clean and detail it to the hilt. Keep it simple.

Assemble an electrolysis vat (it's like an ongoing science experiment!) to de-rust parts and restore/rebuild the stock parts.

I love using electrolysis. Its so easy if you have the time. Been doing it for a loooooong time with bike parts, but will have to get creative like your fence boards and plastic to do anything long at my tiny tiny house. Not too much real estate to spare haha.

HIO your one of the guys I look to for inspiration so thank you for the advice I really do appreciate all the wisdom inside your threads.

Originally Posted by jowilker
Why don't you think about a ring job, keep it running til you graduate and start earning some bill paying money.

John
Well I was planning on doing just that until I ran across a deal that I couldn't pass up. I'm not sure what you mean by start earning some bill paying money, I may be young but that doesn't mean I haven't been paying my own bills. I work my *** off so that I can have a couple bucks to throw at the truck after all the bills and school are taken care of. School has to come first, otherwise there will be noway to afford a garage full of toys in my future.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:11 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by FALLN_69F100
Well I was planning on doing just that until I ran across a deal that I couldn't pass up. I'm not sure what you mean by start earning some bill paying money, I may be young but that doesn't mean I haven't been paying my own bills. I work my *** off so that I can have a couple bucks to throw at the truck after all the bills and school are taken care of. School has to come first, otherwise there will be noway to afford a garage full of toys in my future.
No sir, not implying that you weren't paying your bills, I can only imagine that you are struggling to do so, as most young folk in college. Once you got out and got one of those well paying jobs it would be a lot easier to buy things for the truck. I know my sons are in much better shape after college than while in.

John

Quick Reply: 69' LWB Daily Driven College-budget Build