6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Weight Distribution Hitch - for non-fivers

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 03:32 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weight Distribution Hitch - for non-fivers

guys (without a fiver), what WDH do you use? Do you have Sway control built in or added on? Can you please provide the details of both the hitch and the trailer it is applied to? I'm specifically trying to determine how yours is setup for a truck that is a little higher than stock and on mud or AT tires.

How much did you pay also?

I purchased my WDH as an addon to my trailer.
Brand: Fastway
Model: E2 1000lb tw/10,000 GVW
Sway control: friction using round spring bars and L brackets
Price: $399 (dealer reduced it from $499) could have got it for about $50 less on Amazon
Note: I should have saved the money and just purchased the E4 like was suggested to me. I don't think I am able to get them dialed in like I hoped. I am reducing sway but I have a ton of weight on the spring bars and it's difficult to slide them off of the L brackets. I can get them on easily with the use of the helper bar. Getting them off is the problem.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:12 PM
747Mec
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raise the front of your trailer using tongue jack on your trailer before you attempt to remove bars. Much easer.

My truck is stock but I use the Blue Qx. Very happy with hitch provides sway and load Eq both.
Dave

Old 08-12-2015, 05:28 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 747Mec
Raise the front of your trailer using tongue jack on your trailer before you attempt to remove bars. Much easer.

My truck is stock but I use the Blue Qx. Very happy with hitch provides sway and load Eq both.
Dave
Thanks but I should have clarified that I always raise the front jack while connected to the truck before trying to remove the bars. In order to get the sway control I'm looking for I have to angle the hitch head back this applying more friction to the L brackets. It also makes the bars Much harder to load into the brackets even when jacked up.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:12 PM
razehm
Senior User
I recently upgraded to a 2016 F-350. We have the e2 and used it on our 2012 F-150(we traded in) we used for our Keystone Bullet 32 foot bunkhouse trailer. I liked that WDH but I do not need it now with the one ton. All I did was raise the trailer while still attached to the truck and I could pull the bars off. Not sure what to tell you if your doing the same thing and still having problmes other than get a pry bar.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:43 PM
747Mec
New User
Iron Cobra
Understand about your bars. The hitch head angle is pre set on the BLue Ox and seems to work very well. But like I said my truck is stock so I am not dealing with the raised truck.

Dave

Old 08-12-2015, 09:12 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
I have the Reese dual cam and love it. My TT has a tongue weight of 950lbs and this works very well.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:04 PM
tony montana 42
Senior User
I have the pro series with the friction bar. Works ok. But I hear the equalizer e4 is the best. I will be getting one soon

Old 08-13-2015, 06:53 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The last time I used a WD hitch was in 2007. When I got my first super duty I also got a V nose cargo trailer which has a tongue frame that made it impossible to use the Husky brand hitch bars I had. So, I discovered Firestone air bags, and the rest is history. I know in a technical sense the physics of a WD hitch is not the same as air bags, but, with a super duty truck, I believe it doesn't matter. My point, which is not what you want to hear, is that if you just get air bags you can take your last look at a WD hitch....

I know I'm not helping any, but at the same time I'm telling you how I eliminated the frustration and effort involved with a WD hitch.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:24 AM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I've used an Equalizer brand hitch for awhile now. I bought it used off Craigslist so I can't comment on price.

I generally don't have any issues getting the bars off the brackets with the weight on the trailer jack on a variety of rented trailers from enclosed, dump and equipment. The head has an adjustment on it for tilt and I have mine leaning pretty for back.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:36 AM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I just looked at Fastway's web site. It looks similar to the Equalizer but the but thing I noticed is how the spring bars attached and the angle they attach at. From the pictures the bars seem to go down at an angle making it so you would have to raise the trailer pretty high on the jack to get all the weight off the bars.

You make be able to lower the head on the shank and the tounge on your trailer to get yourself some more breathing room. Or just carry some wood blocks with to throw under the jacck.

edit: never mind. It just might be the pictures I was looking at.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:38 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ruschejj
The last time I used a WD hitch was in 2007. When I got my first super duty I also got a V nose cargo trailer which has a tongue frame that made it impossible to use the Husky brand hitch bars I had. So, I discovered Firestone air bags, and the rest is history. I know in a technical sense the physics of a WD hitch is not the same as air bags, but, with a super duty truck, I believe it doesn't matter. My point, which is not what you want to hear, is that if you just get air bags you can take your last look at a WD hitch....

I know I'm not helping any, but at the same time I'm telling you how I eliminated the frustration and effort involved with a WD hitch.
Great info. Can you please elaborate on how Airbags can eliminate trailer sway? The guy who elivered my RV to me has a 2013 F350 SRW with Airbags and said the same thing, but never explains how. I have quite a few sway control features I've added to my truck, but don't see how that stops the trailer from swaying purely from the pivot point at the hitch.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:44 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry but putting bags in the truck may increase the ability to carry the load for the rear wheels of the TV, it does nothing to distribute the load across the chassis of the TV.
A right-sized WD hitch and bar system will transfer a percentage of that tongue weight to the front axle of the TV which will increase overall TV stability and braking.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:33 AM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
I have a 30' 10,000 lb Artic Fox TT and put a ProPride P3 hitch on it when I bought the trailer. I have 1,400 lb bars on it. I had a Ford Excursion back then, upgraded to a F250 and last fall upgraded to a LB F350. It is a great hitch and makes for effortless towing, worth every penny for piece of mind, especially when my wife is driving.

Different setup than what you have, but it works very well for me. Probably overkill, but so is my tow vehicle. Been in 2 DUII highway accidents with the Excursion not towing and it saved me and my family from others bad judgement both times. One drunk died, one was in a comma for a month. Not even a scratch on me or my family in both cases.... Out West here I see enough TT's on their sides on the freeway to know what a bad setup, or adjustment can do....
Best of luck getting yours dialed in.
Pat

Old 08-13-2015, 10:33 AM
SHOpar
Senior User
I use the Reese SC (Sway Control) WDH and 1,200 pound bars when towing my camping trailer. I've had this setup for 5 years and about 30,000 towing miles and have been very happy with it. I've towed in all sorts of conditions from glare ice to 50+ mph winds to 110 degree heat, both on and offroad, and have never had any trailer control issues. It's also very easy to take on and off. Whenever anyone asks what type of WDH to buy, this is the one I always recommend.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:03 PM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts
I have the blue ox 15k. It works good and there is no issue setting spring arms. One thing I did do is order the 2.5" hitch separately because they don't offer it in the kit. The slop gets really bad with the sleeve over a 2" hitch. Learned that with the first wdh I used.

Quick Reply: Weight Distribution Hitch - for non-fivers