1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

The building of "Babe the Blue Ox"

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 07:35 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whoa! This thread done BLEW UP last night! I'm going to take it a few at a time so as not to miss anyone.

Originally Posted by DZL JIM
Dang, just hear the news a little bit ago.
Sorry to hear Glenn, but rest assured we got you covered. We'll get the injectors back to Nate ASAP.
As for helping out, this is just too close to home to pass up. However, I really won't know till that Friday if I can get freed up. So I might just make the hour and a half drive and show up to help in any way I can, we'll see.

Nate, shoot me your address so I can see where you are.
And keep me in mind right up to the last minute if there's any odds and ends OBS stuff y'all need. I have almost enough parts upstairs to darn near build another truck.
Thanks, Jim. Any help is most appreciated. I'll PM you my info shortly.

Originally Posted by cookie88
Wow! What a great thread!

First off. Sorry for your loss Glenn.

Secondly, as a veteran of several "marathon" builds I'd like to offer a little insight. Or a least an ignorable opinion.

If you have an engine stand I would consider spending the first couple hours pulling the engine. Things like the oil cooler, turbo mount and front dress are soooo much faster out of frame. Plus unobstructed access to the injectors and valve train is worth it's weight in gold.

The truck is only big enough to support maybe 6 people working at one time. Two on the top of the motor, two on the tranny, maybe a couple on the brakes. etc. Having people standing around watching is not a bad thing because you will get very tired and need to tag out from time to time.

Feeding a big crew is easiest with the grill, and honestly works better with a dedicated grill master and not one of the wrenches. Maybe solicit a volunteer specifically for that task.

Lastly.... leave the adult beverage cooler closed until you're done for the day. Cold ones go down great during a wrench party, but will slow you down and increase the likelihood of errors.

Don't want to sound overly optimistic, but if at least 3-4 of the guys that show up are capable wrenches I don't see the current list posing a problem getting done in two days.

Good luck! Kinda makes me wish I didn't live 13 hours away.
Scott, this is great advice. I think you're probably right and pulling the engine will facilitate getting a lot more done in a compressed time period.

We may just have to do that and designate a grill master. Might have to designate a photographer as well to document the progress for the rest of the FTE brotherhood.

This is all great info. Thanks for sharing it.

Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Wish I were closer too.

Glenn, I have the stage one ts chip that I let our "buddy" burn his tunes on. If you would want/need it I can send it to Nate. Also make sure you have a valve spring compressor. I have one of those that works well with the motor in the truck I can send too if needed.

If you don't pull the motor, I'd at least pull the hood first. Lots of guys so its not a big deal, plus will make more room for bodies climbing on your truck!
Thanks, Darrin. I'll check with the others and see what tools they have available and if we need a spring compressor, I will let you know.

Originally Posted by fordman67
That is amazing.I was rolling pulling the engine around in my head.

I can bring my picker.heck the trans is gonna b out anyway...makes since!
I have a hoist that has pulled a couple PSDs already so I think we have that covered unless you think yours would be better suited to the task. If you have a solid engine stand, I might take you up on that, though. Mine works, but it broke once with a PSD on it and even though I have used it since then (after repairing it) I would feel better if we didn't have to trust it to hold Glenn's engine.

Originally Posted by 427 fordman
With that many guys I'd probably pull that motor too. It will make a LOT of the work much easier. You gotta tear the whole front apart anyway and the trans will be out, what's a few more bolts gonna take, 20 minutes???
Agreed, and if we're doing an exhaust, this will make modding the firewall a lot easier as well. That task alone will likely save us enough time to make up for whatever we spend on pulling the engine.

More soon....

Old 08-06-2015, 07:46 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Ha, if bill shows up he can make me a 3 and 1/2" DP out of the stock exhaust, JK!

Old 08-06-2015, 08:06 AM
lee00
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=DIYMechanic;15552104]. Might have to designate a photographer as well to document the progress for the rest of the FTE brotherhood.
QUOTE]

I can handle that on saturday!

Old 08-06-2015, 08:10 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 91 Dually
Nate, I am planning to come also, if nothing gets in the way. I have done most of this stuff myself, so I can help with whatever is needed. (As long as I don't have to work with Alex or Thomas) .........Just Kidding! I plan on bringing the 5er, so I will probably need to get a place at the campground. I will come out Friday evening and return home on Sunday or Monday
Please Give me the particulars on the campground so I can check that out....... Heck, the wife enjoyed RRE so much, she said she might tag along to help with the cooking and what not.
Sounds great, Brian. We're happy to have you. Glenn posted the info for thr RV Park as well.

Originally Posted by 91 Dually
I agree on pulling the engine.... Just ask Glenn what a pain it is just to do up pipes with the engine still in the truck!
Originally Posted by tshrager
Dang this is like Christmas come early, I'm all giddy! We have the injector master himself coming and even Cookie stopped in to say hello! This is gonna be fun. Nate, we better be able to listen to the game. That is NON NEGOTIABLE.
That's a given! The Wooster station will be carrying it and there is already a big radio in the shop that is ready to roll.

Originally Posted by El Camino Man
Good idea! My gf was asking if there was gonna be any other females there lol. I honestly didn't know the answer
She's welcome to make the trip as well, but I don't know how much my family will be around since my wife and kids will likely be at the fair for at least a portion of the weekend.

Glenn, as usual, my responses in red
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I just get back to the campsite and all the neighbors are throwing a party. I'm all greasy from getting the injectors, turbo and trans cooler but felt I should hang around and BS some. Now I don't know how to quote all these posts, LOL.

Nate, I think you are thinking of the coolant sensor because my scan gauge has always picked up my trans temp pretty accurate, I think. I might just mount the trans cooler up behind the 'cattle guard' red neck style until I get there, LOL

Could be. That's pretty warm, for sure so I wouldn't blame you for wanting it on the truck. I wouldn't spend much time on it though, since it has to come off as a part of this process.

I do have one TS chip left, I'll have to look what tunes are on it. I know Gearhead tunes are real mild so would probably work fine. I do plan on getting in touch with all of them and asking for reburns.

I'd do this sooner than later. We know how these tuners can be with turnaround times and not having the right tunes for the truck when it's done will make for as miserable a trip home as if we didn't do all this work at all. Maybe more so...

I have a good cover on the little trailer, was in a down pour the other night and every thing stayed dry. Looks like I'll bring it down early round trip in one day.

That will work just fine. Let me know when you want to make the trip and I'll try my best to be there to meet you.

Phil, I'll do the SD UVCH when I get home unless there is time. Maybe I should just order then now and see. Sound proofing will be this winter, I have to have some thing to do, LOL

Let's do it now, if funds allow. That's one more task that we can stick one person on away from the main action while the thrash is happening under the hood. It will never be easier than it would be right now, since everything will be out already.

I can't believe your coming all that way Byron, that's great!

Yea Alex, get a check from State Farm and spend it, the American way!

I talked to Matt today Jim, sounds like he told you about it. Package will be on its way soon.

Let me know when you ship it and I'll note it all on my "list". I'm really trying to be as organized as possible without being a micro-manager.

Good to hear from you Cookie and thanks! Also, good advice!

Darin, I don't have any stage I tunes but have over a month to get some. I'll let you know if they don't come thru. Thanks for the offer of tools, not sure how its going to go down. I looked at the intake boot again today and except for some charring on the outside its still good to go. Its soft and not brittle, I can always get a new one later. Maybe I'll just look at Irate's website to see.

This is up to you. If it were me and the part wasn't terribly expensive, I think I'd just do it now so it's done, but either way is fine. Just let me know what you want to do so I can keep track of what we need to accomplish.

Brian, its Evergreen RV Park | Ohio Amish Country RV & Camping Facility Be nice to meet you!

Todd, we are going to listen to a Husker game? hahahahahahahah Hope everything is OK and call me if and when you can.

Not a chance, Glenn. GO BUCKS!!

JP, my wife should be around unless the local mall pulls her in, LOL

Well, I can tell you for sure that from where you're staying there are no malls that are local! Amish country, yes, but not shopping malls.

Your so right Kevin, your so right!!!

John Woods emailed back and said that its not necessary to change the seals.

Sounds good. I'll take that off the list then.

Injectors are out and sending them in tomorrow. I talked to James Barder and he said he would check it out, four or five day turn around.

Sounds good. Again, just let me know when they're out so I know when to expect to see them back at my place.

I'll reread this and see what I missed

Can't wait to meet ALL of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I knew I would miss some.

I wouldn't mind swapping over my 38 gallon rear tank but its FULL! I was heading to RRE, I think my front tank is 3/4 full also. I have my aux 33 gallon tank already in Blue's bed, if I could find a long enough hose I have a little pump that I use to pump the 38 gallon tank down so its manageable. But, this is something that doesn't have to be done.

We can put this low on the list to be done if we have sufficient time and manpower. Even if we have to siphon the fuel down to pull the tank, we can do that. Poor Todd, there's going to be nothing left of the mare but a charred shell for him to buy!

I'm going to pull the air bags when I switch wheels and mount them. I have already moved them from the mule to the mare, now to the OX, LOL If I don't have time we can sure do that. I'll be towing some before 9-12 so will want them on there.

Sounds like a plan to me.

OK!
SD gaskets for sure!!!!! Gotta do them!

Nate,you have an engine hoist? I have one I can bring.
I do, and a stand we can use, but if you have a good stand, I'm sure it would be better than the one I have. The one I have is fine for smaller stuff but using it for a PSD gets a little sketchy...

Glenn was leaving Detroit for rre. He got just outside Detroit and the oil line to the turbo blew. It melted most everything coul wise and burned the dash and made a mess of the interior.luckily no one was hurt but the made.

He bought another truck there with under 100k. They are bringing the old truck down i believe. He has pulled most everything off the old truck including engine and trans. The project is to get all the engine parts swapped over,trans,IC,exhaust,turbo maybe fuel tank, etc so he can safely and reliably get back to Arizona.

I hope i have not overstepped here by posting this for glenn .

I hope you can make it down Jim.
That about sums it up, Aaron. I thought about posting the pictures but I don't really want to see them again.

Alright, I think that more or less catches me up to date. I'll do my best to clean out the shop in advance of this meeting. Probably a good thing anyway, since we are going to be listing our house for sale here shortly. I'll try to move some non-essential stuff to my "offsite storage facility". It would be a good thing for me to do anyway.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:12 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Looks like I missed a couple...

Ha, if bill shows up he can make me a 3 and 1/2" DP out of the stock exhaust, JK!
Then we'd have to mod the firewall too....

[QUOTE=lee00;15552151]
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
. Might have to designate a photographer as well to document the progress for the rest of the FTE brotherhood.
QUOTE]

I can handle that on saturday!
That would be great, Lee! I'll put you down for it and if something else comes up, we can adjust as needed.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:46 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
A little to far for me to make the journey, but Glenn, if help is needed when you get to SD, I'm about 1/2 hr. off of exit 152 on I90.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:00 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Looking like this is coming together nicely, Nate!

Old 08-06-2015, 10:08 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
WOW !!! this is real brotherhood. I feel bad because Im very far away to help, but certanly Ill be very interested in the work you are doing there. Just I want to say GOOD LUCK AMIGOS with every thing.

I tried to rep you Nate but Im in Jail

I wrote this in post #4, and Im following the thread, and I am admired about the GREAT BROTHERHOOD we have int this FTE, and now I only can add that I agree that you have to designate a photographer as well to document the progress for the rest of the FTE brotherhood. You know I like pics.
And again GOOD LUCK AMIGOS.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:05 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, Nate this thread done blow'd-up!

I would imagine Heather and Trey will come along, JP. They can all go hang out at the fair if they get bored being wrench go-fers.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:25 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The building of "Babe the Blue Ox"

Looks like I missed a couple...Then we'd have to mod the firewall too....
Hey. If the motors out there's no easier time lol.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:09 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Let me explain, I explored the idea of a larger DP last winter. I have a 3 1/2" turbo outlet fitting in AZ (don't know what's its called) but couldn't find any 3 1/2" pipe to do it. Nobody in town could bend 4" but could on the 3 1/2" pipe. I need to further explain, this thread makes me feel like a kid in a candy store. I should hold my self back but, but, but, if its not a big deal to mod the firewall I can use my fitting I have at home and get this done. I'll save a good piece of the stock pipe.

Yes, your right Nate, I'll have to get on the tuners to reburn my tunes.

I'll get with you ahead of time about bringing down the trailer. You are most welcome to peal the cover back and take inventory if you like.

The SD uvch's are on my list. After this goes on for awhile I'll post my list and see what you think I've forgotten.

I got the turbo packaged up and the injectors. I'm stopping at a UPS-FedEx store tomorrow. Would have done it today, see pictures below. The turbo I asked to be shipped to Aaron for him to do his magic and the injectors to you Nate. When I get a tracking number I'll let you both know.

Thanks a lot Tom. Having you and Darin in SD is a good feeling incase I need some adjustments or advice when I head that way. Darin, thanks for your input on this thread, that's good advice. I laugh to myself, when the trans is out and the motor I'll take a picture and show my wife. "Look at what these guys are doing to the Babe!!" I'll have to pick her jaw up off the floor. She doesn't understand this stuff but to give her credit she does listen to what I say and tries to 'get it'. Bottom line, I think she understands more of this then she is letting on, LOL!

Today it wasn't very hot and my wife and I kicked *** on the estate stuff of my brother. When he passed we bought two trailers, one 42' and one 35' and stuffed them full. We wanted to get the house on the market as fast as possible to avoid the high taxes. Then we put cleaning the trailers out for to many years and finally got with it. The 24' trailer on the left we used to haul stuff to auction, salvation army and dump. The black trailer is stuff we are going to keep like a riding lawn mover, boat, etc. The empty trailer is one sweat site, almost done!! Another day or two and I can concentrate on 9-12 all the more. Except for about 8 days we are going to Baltimore to see my daughter.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:43 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
That's a couple nice looking trailers ya got tharr!

Old 08-06-2015, 06:58 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Might have to designate a photographer as well to document the progress for the rest of the FTE brotherhood.
Spot on! I forgot that one. One of our crew always brings his son along for that purpose.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:37 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by madMatador78
Looking like this is coming together nicely, Nate!
It is shaping up nicely!

Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
I wrote this in post #4, and Im following the thread, and I am admired about the GREAT BROTHERHOOD we have int this FTE, and now I only can add that I agree that you have to designate a photographer as well to document the progress for the rest of the FTE brotherhood. You know I like pics.
And again GOOD LUCK AMIGOS.

This is a great group of guys, Jose!

Originally Posted by cowmilker08
Yeah, Nate this thread done blow'd-up!

I would imagine Heather and Trey will come along, JP. They can all go hang out at the fair if they get bored being wrench go-fers.
Yeah, if they want to do that, they're more than welcome. It's a great time with tons to see, plenty to do (a lot of it for free), and some great food. I think admission is only $3 or something. It's a cheap day out, unless you eat a lot, then not so much...

I take that to mean you'll need accommodations for 3, correct? I just want to be sure I have enough beds for everyone.

Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
Hey. If the motors out there's no easier time lol.
Agreed. It doesn't get much easier than that.

That's a couple nice looking trailers ya got tharr!
Yeah they are! Holy cow. Some REAL nice equipment there, Glenn. One of these days I'm gonna get something along those lines, but I think for the most part a larger flat bed / beaver tail would suit my needs better so that's probably where I will start. An enclosed unit like that sure has its benefits though.

I'm putting clear headlights on the list to do as well, so if you decide not to do them, just let me know and I'll mark it off the list.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:15 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, Nate, but I'm not sure if we'll stay at your place or do something else. My brother-in-law has a pop-up, but I've never gotten him to let me use it even though I work on his junk all the time.

Edit: Heather got so excited last night when I told her what was going on, lol.

Quick Reply: The building of "Babe the Blue Ox"