1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

The building of "Babe the Blue Ox"

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 07:23 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation The building of "Babe the Blue Ox"

Okay fellas, It sounds like the weekend of September 12th, 2015 is the date for this GTG / wrenching shindig. The location will be my place in Wooster, OH (for those of you Googling directions). I'll post more specific location as the time draws near.

I will work out the details with Glenn as the time draws nearer, but I want to make sure to manage expectations carefully first. This weekend is about getting Glenn's truck into shape sufficient to haul his travelling house across the country. I look forward to seeing a bunch of you guys but I have a few of concerns that I'm just going to be really honest about.

First is that people come with the expectation of getting dirty and working hard. Getting the truck done is the main objective of this weekend. As much as I'd love to just hang out, drink sweet around a campfire and chew the fat, that's not the way I see this weekend going. We're doing this to slam out a heck of a lot of work in 2 days or less. That means a lot of work. I'd love to have you all here to hang out, but the last thing I want is for people to travel several hundred miles to help and then to stand around with nothing to do for the whole weekend.

Second is the function of space. I have 1 acre here, three bedrooms and 1 bathroom. I would love to have everyone hang out here at the house, but please understand that if that's how this goes down, it will be tight quarters and you may end up sleeping on an air mattress, couch or in a camper. If there are those who want to bring a camper of their own to sleep in, that's acceptable as well, but I'll need to know that this is the intent and what you're bringing so I can plan accordingly. Depending on how this goes, I may have to have someone camp out at my dad's place as well. With a little luck this place may be for sale by then, so there's that as well....

Lastly, my wife's time for providing hospitality will be limited that weekend. September 12th is the start of the Wayne County Fair ("Ohio's foremost agricultural fair") and my kids all three have 4H exhibits and a couple animals at the fair starting on Saturday. My poor wife is liable to have her hands full at the fair that weekend and she likely won't have a ton of time to devote to meal prep. I'm pretty respectable in the kitchen or at the grill, but I don't want to be tied to that location when I need to be helping with this build. So.... If you're coming..... bring food. I'm fine with pot-luck style meals if that is what everyone wants, I'm also fine with taking up a collection and ordering a bunch of Pizzas. I'll do the best I can to be a hospitable host, but I don't intend to spend my time in the kitchen. If someone else wants to head up meal organization, that would be outstanding as well. We have food to contribute, but I don't want to have to spend the whole time in the kitchen.

I say all that not because I want to come across as an inhospitable host, I just want to make sure the expectations are reasonable going into it. Again, I really don't want to see someone travel hundreds of miles to help with this and then to go away disappointed because there isn't enough for them to do. I'm really looking forward to this, but the bigger it gets, the more concerned I get that it won't be successful from the standpoint of everyone enjoying helping get Glenn back onto the road. I'll run herd and try to keep things organized, but I want to be able to help turn some wrenches as well! I'm stoked to be a part of this, but I want to make sure that we go about it right so that we're not wasting our time and getting little if anything done. I'm getting stoked already, this brotherhood rocks!!

That said, what do we need to have in place to make this work? Already mentioned have been:
1- Getting the turbo checked out (presumable Barder turbo)
2- Getting the injectors to Rosewood Diesel
3- Getting O-rings for whatever we will be touching (oil lines, head galleries, turbo pedestal, etc)
4- New turbo oil supply line
5- Should we replace the output shaft seal on the trans? What about the input shaft seal?
6- Presumably fluids and filters (coolant & filter, oil & filter, Trans Fluid & filter, Fuel Filters).
7- Glenn, do we want to do any other normal service items? (Brakes, Diff Fluids, etc?)
8- Glow Plugs?

What else do we want to do Glenn?

I'm thinking the task list (aside from the things mentioned above) will include:
Swapping the S366 kit over
Transmission Swap
HPOP Swap
Injector Installation
Exhaust Swap?
Swapping the Alcoas
Chip Swap
Efuel Swap
Oil Cooler swap? I can't recall whether you put this on the Mare or not now.
What else?

I'm admittedly a list making spreadsheet freak, so I'll probably organize all of this on a spreadsheet so we can do the best we can to keep all out waterfowl in a linear arrangement.

Read, GO!!

Old 08-04-2015, 07:34 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
What I would suggest is that you post up if you're able to make it so that I know what we will have to work with. List what you're planning for accommodations as well, so I know how many bodies I have to find a bed for.

Also, if there is a particular discipline that you specialize in (ie some mod that you've done before to these trucks) post that up as well. To keep things flowing, we may divide up tasks so we can stage things right and make the most of our time (this is the construction manager in me coming out). I'm not going to be a dictator about it, but we have a lot to do in a compressed time span so we're going to have to be efficient with our use of time.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:52 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
I plan on coming, I'll bring my camper. I can't say I have a specialty, but I'll sure help anyway I can. I also understand there can't be 20 people under the hood. Any way I can contribute.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:57 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

WOW !!! this is real brotherhood. I feel bad because Im very far away to help, but certanly Ill be very interested in the work you are doing there. Just I want to say GOOD LUCK AMIGOS with every thing.

I tried to rep you Nate but Im in Jail

Old 08-04-2015, 07:57 PM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What happened to the Mare?

Old 08-04-2015, 08:04 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Thanks Nate! I have your address and I will have Jim and Barder Turbo send you the stuff.

Tomorrow I'm going out to my little trailer to get the injectors and Turbo.
Oil cooler is toast.
I plan on switching the wheels before the mare is moved.
When I pull the rear wheels I'm getting my air bags off the mare.
I'll email John Woods again and ask about the input and output shaft seals.
I have the complete exhaust system.
I wouldn't mine swapping over the IH WP.
I'll have to go over all my IC boots and see if they are OK.
The intake boot did get burned on one side but seems intake. Should get new.
Good old Aaron said he would make me a HP turbo oil line.
If its not a big deal I would love to get my studs, springs and rods moved over.
I'll mount the trans cooler but will be open to all suggestions on a better way to do it.
I already rebuilt the front brakes, rear brakes IDK.
Move over my SD dual tensioner.
Move over my 200 amp alternator.
If time, mount my FS2500 oil bypass system.
Find a source of Shaeffers motor oil and trans oil.
I have a coolant filter, fuel filters and trans was just serviced but needs oil.
I should order GP's and whatever O rings you guys think I need from Clay.
If I don't get it done swap my Hydra over.
Rear diff should probably be changed.

Spread sheets are nice, I just pounded this out. I'm sure I missed lots of stuff!

Old 08-04-2015, 08:22 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
If the turbo ,kit,mount,up pipes could come here I will redo oil feed and return stuff.

I would like to v-band the driver up pipe.

Thats my big concern.i want the kit as right as it should have been when he bought it.

Im thinking you are spot on with getting jobs kinda mapped out for certain guys.

I know alex can do that rear tank mod...lol and smoke meat!

I can do whatever.
I can stay wherever. .

Old 08-04-2015, 08:24 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
I assume you mean rear diff oil?

I think the studs, rods and springs need to be on the list if we're to make it reliable. Reliability isn't an option if we"re getting you home safe.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:56 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by fordman67
If the turbo ,kit,mount,up pipes could come here I will redo oil feed and return stuff.

I would like to v-band the driver up pipe.

Thats my big concern.i want the kit as right as it should have been when he bought it.

Im thinking you are spot on with getting jobs kinda mapped out for certain guys.

I know alex can do that rear tank mod...lol and smoke meat!

I can do whatever.
I can stay wherever. .

That would be great Aaron. I'll call Barder turbo tomorrow and ask about turn around time.

About the tanks, I've never seen newer looking tanks under a 18 year old truck. I don't even want to touch them but I should swap over my 38 gallon rear tank but its not necessary. Its full! LOL

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
I assume you mean rear diff oil?

I think the studs, rods and springs need to be on the list if we're to make it reliable. Reliability isn't an option if we"re getting you home safe.
Yes, when I start typing fast I need Alex to correct me, LOL Rear diff should be changed. In the mare I used royal purple with Ford's stinking stuff LOL

Old 08-04-2015, 09:15 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You know I'll be there. Just put me wherever. I have family that's relatively close to Nates, if it gets too crowded, I can take some overflow there. Plenty of room for campers (100+ acres) but very limited power hookups. I can bring a nice little 220 welder if need be.

Glenn and I will talk in a day or so and make arrangements for project mare relocation.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:29 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

This may sound crazy Todd but could your pickup hold the trailer still and my pickup gently pull the mare onto the trailer? I have a real steady foot you know, LOL.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:35 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
This may sound crazy Todd but could your pickup hold the trailer still and my pickup gently pull the mare onto the trailer? I have a real steady foot you know, LOL.
I have done such things in the past. It's dicey to say the least. I'm hoping work will let me take the 6.4 550 to go grab it. I might, might be able to snag our tiny little mini tracked machine. It may have enough muscle to push it on up.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:18 AM
91 Dually
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glenn, Todd..... sounds like you guys need a push bar... I took a 8 ft piece of 2 1/2 inch heavy wall iron pipe, welded a short piece of chain with hook on each end. I have pushed lots of vehicles around and up into my garage with it. Very handy to have.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:54 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by pilgrimbizket
What happened to the Mare?
Glenn had an engine fire on the way to RRE a few weeks back and the truck burned. Still makes me sad to think about it.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:21 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
My notes below are in RED

Thanks Nate! I have your address and I will have Jim and Barder Turbo send you the stuff.

Feel free to have anything shipped here that you want to. I don't have a problem storing it between now and then.

Tomorrow I'm going out to my little trailer to get the injectors and Turbo.
Oil cooler is toast.
I plan on switching the wheels before the mare is moved.
When I pull the rear wheels I'm getting my air bags off the mare.
We can install these no problem. It will give a couple guys something to do in the rear of the truck while the thrash goes on at the front
I'll email John Woods again and ask about the input and output shaft seals.
I have the complete exhaust system.
I assume you mean you have the kit off the Mare that you would like to install?
I wouldn't mine swapping over the IH WP.
I'll put this on the list as well. We might as well do it if we're going to have the front end torn down anyway.
I'll have to go over all my IC boots and see if they are OK.
The intake boot did get burned on one side but seems intake. Should get new.
I would agree. If it's burned at all I say we just replace it. No sense risking it for a $50 part.
Good old Aaron said he would make me a HP turbo oil line.
I've got him on the list for this.
If its not a big deal I would love to get my studs, springs and rods moved over.
These three items are on the list as well.
I'll mount the trans cooler but will be open to all suggestions on a better way to do it.
Unless you intend to do a bunch of heavy towing and you need it, I'd say don't bother mounting this yet. It will just be in the way of the IC install and it will be easier to locate and mount them both at the same time.
I already rebuilt the front brakes, rear brakes IDK.
Move over my SD dual tensioner.
On the list.
Move over my 200 amp alternator.
On the list.
If time, mount my FS2500 oil bypass system.
On the list. Do we need to get another filter coming for this or do you have another one?
Find a source of Shaeffers motor oil and trans oil.
Call THESE FOLKS, order what you need and I'll pick it up ahead of time for you so we have it ready when we get started.
I have a coolant filter, fuel filters and trans was just serviced but needs oil.
I should order GP's and whatever O rings you guys think I need from Clay.
I'm open to suggestions for what we need for o-rings. I figured we would want new rings for the oil plugs in the heads (small and large). The injectors should come from Jim with new rings on them. Aside from that, we're eliminating the fuel system so we don't need all those. What about turbo pedestal o-rings? I assume you guys use those with the S366 kit? What about the CCV? I assume we want to vent that to atmosphere since we're doing an IC, so I figure we need those o-rings as well (though the used, pink o-rings from injectors work great in this application). Anything else?
If I don't get it done swap my Hydra over.
We'll put the tunes in it for Stage 1's (I don't recall if you're using the Hydra for that or some other means). I wonder if you should get new tunes for 1's since we're stepping you down from 2's? Maybe talk to Darrin and see where he got his from. He seems to be happy with them and they sure do seem to work well.
Rear diff should probably be changed.

Spread sheets are nice, I just pounded this out. I'm sure I missed lots of stuff!
Just take a couple come-alongs (hand winches) with you. No sense risking it for 15 minutes of work. I've done this a few times myself and a 2 ton hand winch works fine.

Originally Posted by 91 Dually
Glenn, Todd..... sounds like you guys need a push bar... I took a 8 ft piece of 2 1/2 inch heavy wall iron pipe, welded a short piece of chain with hook on each end. I have pushed lots of vehicles around and up into my garage with it. Very handy to have.
I've been meaning to make this very thing, Brian. We used to have one on the farm where I worked growing up; we called it a push - pull.

I'm getting started compiling this list, so keep the posts coming.

Quick Reply: The building of "Babe the Blue Ox"