Sponsored by:

Chipping a 2002 7.3 Excursion...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 09:42 PM
2000F350Scott
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chipping a 2002 7.3 Excursion...

I'm considering a 2002 7.3 Excursion. I know all about the powdered rods, but my concern is with the THEFT system. Is there any known issues using a TS-6 chip, conflicting with the factory Theft system? I only want to modify the Excursion for fuel economy (and slight power benefits). Any concerns or issues I should be aware of? Immediate replies would be appreciated, as I'm going truck shopping very soon. Thanks

Old 07-31-2015, 09:58 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000F350Scott
... my concern is with the THEFT system. Is there any known issues using a TS-6 chip, conflicting with the factory Theft system?
Nope.

I only want to modify the Excursion for fuel economy
Then don't do it because you won't see any increase of fuel economy worth a dang.

(and slight power benefits).
Only do it because you want it, and for the power benefits.

Immediate replies would be appreciated, as I'm going truck shopping very soon. Thanks
Even if you had the truck in your driveway, take your time, be patient, and map out how you plan on modding your truck.

Stewart

Old 07-31-2015, 10:36 PM
ranagent
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm considering a 2002 7.3 Excursion. I know all about the powdered rods, but my concern is with the THEFT system. Is there any known issues using a TS-6 chip, conflicting with the factory Theft system? I only want to modify the Excursion for fuel economy (and slight power benefits). Any concerns or issues I should be aware of? Immediate replies would be appreciated, as I'm going truck shopping very soon. Thanks
I've got an 02 ex 7.3 that I chipped with a ts-6. The local tuner didn't know for sure if he had tunes that would work to keep the pats system working, but as I only have one chip key, and I don't like how thick they are, I prefer that that the system doesn't work. It doesn't

Old 07-31-2015, 11:31 PM
El_Coqui
Senior User
I called about that TS 6 position chip before I put it in my 2002 7.3 and was told that no that chip doesn't have a work around for the PATS system...if you don't wanna see the theft light flash you can just unplug the connector back up behind the dash...if course now any schmuck with a key can start your truck...if I remember my conversation with Matt correctly tho I think if you get a hydra I think that one is able to bypass the PATS system

Old 08-01-2015, 12:55 AM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I've got Gearhead tunes on a Hydra, theft light blinks for about 5 minutes then stops.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:28 AM
2000F350Scott
Freshman User
2002 PATS ts-6

I test drove a 2002 a few weeks back that had the TS-6 installed. Yes, the THEFT blinked a code for a few minutes, then quit. Thought about pulling the THEFT bulb out if it drove me nuts.

My 2000 F350 7.3 stock wheels, 3.73, has 4" turbo back, stock intake, stock turbo, stock injectors but just installed the TS-6. At 75HP setting, it gets 21~25mpg bumming around even up to 70mph, and pulling our 39' 5th camper weighing 15K loaded up, got 13.5~15mpg depending on the wind/hills. I have no reason to suspect the Excursion can't get similar results---same truck just a few pounds heavier. Read several other Exc owners successful with low 20's after some mods. Considering replacing our 2007 Expedition Limited with either a 2000 Excursion Limited or a 2002 Excursion Limited. Love our 2007 except for the rusted/missing exhaust manifold bolts (exhaust noise) and so-so economy. Wish we would have bought the EL version though. Want more space and 20's for economy. Thus the Excursion.
Thanks guys for the advice.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:39 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
I have no reason to suspect the Excursion can't get similar results---
Since tuning became widely popular with a "Bills Chip" way back over 11 years ago, there have been a few people who have posted that they're getting a tad better MPG. But 99.9% of the time (not an accurate percentage, just a figure of speech to illustrate how rare it happens) if there is any slight increase, it's wiped out by a heavier foot due to enjoying the unlocked power and performance of their rig.

I've had custom tunes created for 4 different 7.3L's and not a single time did I see even the slightest increase when compared to the stock tuning each rig came from the factory with, which falls in line with other users who post on the 'net.

Stewart

Old 08-01-2015, 06:39 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
I average 17.7-18.2mpg with GH tunes, intake, 4" exhaust, single-shot hybrids, 35's, and some other goodies. Best ever has been 19.5, and that was purely due to the speeds being down around 55mph for almost an entire day of road tripping. You'll have to keep in mind the X has more surface area for wind resistance and weighs several hundred pounds more than a truck twin.

No offense, but I have a hard time believing your truck consistently gets between 21-25mpg, especially since you're stock with a chip and exhaust on stock rubber, especially stock rubber.

But like Stewart said, there's an occasional and rare freak that gets decent mileage. Having chipped and modified several 7.3's, I'm in Stewart's camp with it provides zero or such minuscule benefits for mileage that it's a weak excuse for throwing a tuner on something. From a single cab shorty to the current Excursion, none of them gained MPG. The overhead lies out its ***, and the tuner makes it even more so. They did, however, all get more fun to drive

Old 08-01-2015, 08:07 PM
2000F350Scott
Freshman User
I'm not fibbing about my mpg numbers. Yes, the power is fun to dip into once and a while, but when I got 500 some miles and still had almost a 1/4 tank left (standard 30 gal tank), there's no goofing the math for 24.5ish mpg. (could NEVER get beyond 400miles in times past before the chip) Would have taken a picture but my cell phone's camera SUCKS bad. I bought the 2002 I told you guys about. A very sweet, well maintained rig. Already has the 6637 filter mod, but that will come out. I'll get one of those oval cold-air intakes instead. I'll keep everyone posted on progress and results. Thanks guys!

Old 08-01-2015, 08:34 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
I'm not fibbing about my mpg numbers....but when I got 500 some miles and still had almost a 1/4 tank left (standard 30 gal tank), there's no goofing the math for 24.5ish mpg.
Absolute zero accuracy in trying to determine your MPG using that method.

The float in the tank showing how much fuel you have left is far, far from accurate enough to try and determine MPG.

The only accurate way to determine MPG is to fill up completely until you see the fuel in the filler neck, note the odometer, and the refill to the same point in the neck and look at the miles you've travelled.

You need to do that several times in a row with the normal driving you do day-in and day-out to get an accurate reading of your daily MPG.

Also, just FYI, the official capacity for short beds is 29 gallons. Long beds are 38 gallons.

Already has the 6637 filter mod, but that will come out.
Why don't you like the 6637?

I'll get one of those oval cold-air intakes instead.
Not familiar with that filter setup. What brand/company?

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 08-01-2015 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:04 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Assuming you're talking about the Ford AIS intake? I'd keep the 6637, going to a cold air will serve zero purpose other than wasting money. The intercooler negates the cold air intake benefits at the power levels you'll be at, heck it's barely enough of a gain to justify the expense at the power levels I'll be at next week with the new turbo...

We're not trying to rub you the wrong way with the MPG, but the miles travelled compared to the gauge is a totally bunk method of measuring, especially while on the move. The fuel doesn't sit flat in the tank while traveling down the road, inertia drives it backwards and raises the float a bit. That's why you'll long-haul down the road, turn off the rig, and when you get back in and fire it up the fuel level is different. The fuel gauge is a 'dumb gauge', as in it gives you a close, yet far from accurate reading. If you had a numerical readout of actual fuel quantity it'd be different, but you're basing all MPG claims off what is essentially a rheostat on a gauge with zero numerical guidance other than 1/4 tank-ish hash marks...

Filling it up til the vapor trigger clicks the pump off and recording the mileage, then dividing miles traveled by gallons required to fill to the click off is the only accurate way.

I picked up mileage on the highway when I went to 35's on stock gears, purely because the truck could give a crap over the 2" tire increase. However they lowered the cruising RPM by a solid 700rpm, and on a diesel that's a significant amount of revs to drop. Stock tires would see 68-69mph on the GPS at 2000rpm, whereas the 35's would get to 76mph before the tech reached 2k. Anything over 2k and speeds under 100 pretty much netted the same results, which were absolutely abysmal, lol.

Congrats on the new purchase! We like pictures

Old 08-27-2015, 08:25 PM
2000F350Scott
Freshman User
UPDATE: Ok, I bought the 2002 X a few weeks back. Found out why it's so snappy... the previous owner had a SuperChips 1705 and programmed it for Towing Safe mode. Got the programmer from him, and happy it's still "mated" to my ECM. Will try programming it as Performance Towing mode (?) and see if it gets better. Anyway, I know I'd get good advice from everyone... I'm willing to consider a different performance programmer, but limited to no more than $300, but it's got to be very adjustable and offer me more than what the TS-6 system currently offers me in my F350. Suggestions???? Thanks....

Old 08-27-2015, 10:14 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
For $300? You won't find much of anything that I'd consider a safe choice. I'd still recommend a 6-pos from Gearhead. If you have proof of military service they'll toss a discount your way as well.

I still have my previous chip (DP Tuner F5) that's coded for an EBM1 PCM, if you're interested or have questions shoot me a PM.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:10 PM
dougger222
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 02 X has Swamps 175cc injectors and the hydra chip. On mild daily it's got plenty of power, extreme race it's too much. As far as fuel mileage it's about the same as stock but I don't drive it like my grandma would...

Need to do a better air intake as the factory one sets off the idiot light every week. Also need to do exhaust and a couple gauges.

It's sort of funny as the 02 is my X and after doing the injectors and chip my wife wants to drive it now.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:53 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Yeah, with the 38R, 238cc 80% nozzle sticks, a bunch of other crap and Gearhead tunes my Excursion is a blast.

Quick Reply: Chipping a 2002 7.3 Excursion...