6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Regen Problem -- Ford Refuses to Fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 06:55 PM
Joannr24
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regen Problem -- Ford Refuses to Fix

Hello! I have a 2012 Ford F250 4WD Diesel. Two months after I got it I had the dreaded issue with regen. At that time they said they had a fix and they did indeed fix it. It's never happened again. Today, I am having my second death wobble problem in six weeks and the service guy who is the lead diesel person said that Ford is now refusing to fix the regen problem. He admitted to me long ago that it's a design flaw and he said it again today. He said if you don't really use the diesel it will do the sputtering once it goes into regen around 40 mph. I told him the fix worked for me and I've never had an issue and he said be glad, you're one of the few but to not be surprised if it comes back again one day. He said, Ford at that point will refuse to do anything about it if it does. He also said all the newer models have the same issue and now Ford is claiming this is a normal issue that happens if you don't drive correctly. I was shocked. Like I said, I don't have the issue right now, instead I have a suspension problem they can't fix but I am shocked Ford is now calling their design flaw normal operation. I am seriously considering selling this truck and getting a different diesel or maybe even getting a Tundra. I have a basic 20 minute commute each day plus once or twice a month I haul a horse trailer. Has anyone else heard of this new stance Ford is taking on the regen issue?

Old 07-28-2015, 06:59 PM
sledhead_24_7
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Find a new dealer!!, that stuff is bogus. Ford has had a few updates specifically to deal with regen issues.

As for the death wobble make them check the track bar and its u-joint. Or if not under warranty for that part find a reputable repair shop to fix it.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:09 PM
Joannr24
Freshman User
Thank you!!! I may call Ford corporate then. They just replaced some parts of the suspension a month ago and now it's doing it again.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:24 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Here is corp service dept 800 392 ford....

Old 07-28-2015, 07:28 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,440 Likes on 1,030 Posts
I see a couple of issues here.

#1, get a new dealer/servicing tech.

#2 modern diesels (everything since model year 2008) is different then diesels of old.
Emissions requirements dicate driving style. Those that run their trucks hard and long have fewer issues than those that drive just a couple of miles and do lots of idling.

I had the first generations with the DPF. The 6.4 motor. I had zero emissions problems in 5 years of ownership.

I now have a 6.7 and have had no problems at all.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:34 PM
Joannr24
Freshman User
Originally Posted by senix
I see a couple of issues here.

#1, get a new dealer/servicing tech.

#2 modern diesels (everything since model year 2008) is different then diesels of old.
Emissions requirements dicate driving style. Those that run their trucks hard and long have fewer issues than those that drive just a couple of miles and do lots of idling.

I had the first generations with the DPF. The 6.4 motor. I had zero emissions problems in 5 years of ownership.

I now have a 6.7 and have had no problems at all.
Thanks Senix!! If I keep this truck, is there anything I can do to make the motor work harder? I only drive it to work and then my max weight in my trailer is 7000 lbs and that's only a 20 minute drive once or twice a month.

Is there something I can do to mimic hard work lol?? Or do you think with the driving habits I have that I am asking for trouble down the road?

I've been looking at the Tundras. They're nice but they're not nearly as nice as my black King Ranch

Old 07-28-2015, 08:13 PM
sledhead_24_7
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could drive it like you stole it once and while. Build some heat, possibly a good fuel additive may help some. Good oil etc.

Take it on a a longer drive that you might use another vehicle for on in a while as well.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:20 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,440 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Take a Road trip with it. Try to get it good and hot some.

Wide open throttle some to keep the EGR cleaned out.

If you notice the cleaning exhaust filter message and you can, drive it for a good 10 miles to try to ensure it goes through the cleaning cycle.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:57 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You know it would be nice that given all the message center information and idiot lights on the trucks if Ford had programmed either a count down message or even an idiot light that stayed on until the regen was complete.

I understand that I can program my ScanGauge II to alert me to either Regen on or off, I may do so. However, I guess I could just keep watching my EGT Temp reading as I do now. When it drops back down I know she has finished her business.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:46 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Joannr24
...Like I said, I don't have the issue right now, instead I have a suspension problem they can't fix...
Hi Joannr24,

I want to do what I can to keep you as a member of the Ford Family. How many miles are on your truck currently? I'll start researching some ways to help.

Crystal

Old 07-29-2015, 11:18 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,596 Likes on 737 Posts
I think you are worrying un-neccesarliy
If you are not having problems with your regen, why worry about a rumor?

I put 145,000 miles on my 2011 truck and now have 13,000 miles on my 2015. I've found Ford to be very responsive to the few minor problems I've had.

I did have the death wobble at 36,000 miles which ford fixed with a new steering stabilizer and it returned at 105,000 miles and I needed to replace the front bearing/hubs to fix it then.

If you like your king ranch and it's been dependable, keep it. I've seen a lot of these trucks with 150,000 miles still running great and see post of trucks with over 200,000-250,000 miles with minimal repair bills.

I promise you, the 6.7L diesel pulls a horse trailer better than Toyota gas trucks. Not that the smaller 1/2 ton gas trucks can't tow a small horse trailer, but the power strokes just do it better.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:35 PM
Joannr24
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
I think you are worrying un-neccesarliy
If you are not having problems with your regen, why worry about a rumor?

I put 145,000 miles on my 2011 truck and now have 13,000 miles on my 2015. I've found Ford to be very responsive to the few minor problems I've had.

I did have the death wobble at 36,000 miles which ford fixed with a new steering stabilizer and it returned at 105,000 miles and I needed to replace the front bearing/hubs to fix it then.

If you like your king ranch and it's been dependable, keep it. I've seen a lot of these trucks with 150,000 miles still running great and see post of trucks with over 200,000-250,000 miles with minimal repair bills.

I promise you, the 6.7L diesel pulls a horse trailer better than Toyota gas trucks. Not that the smaller 1/2 ton gas trucks can't tow a small horse trailer, but the power strokes just do it better.
Thanks Painted Horse! I think my concern is "here I go" on the maintenance issues at 35k miles. The truck has been reliable so far and don't get me wrong I LOVE this truck but missing work and being told a design flaw will no longer be addressed is frustrating. I work for a multi-billion dollar manufacturing company. We address issues outside of spec, we even address issues that pop up even if they are within spec so to be told that a design flaw is now considered normal and blamed on the driver not driving correctly is frustrating. But that aside, the point of the thread was what others have heard on the regen issue. This service guy is very very good so when I heard this I was surprised. Also being told that they will want my deductible again on a service issue they couldn't fix six weeks ago because it could be many other things was disappointing. That is the only reason I am considering selling. Now I worry the many service visits have begun.....

Old 07-29-2015, 12:48 PM
Joannr24
Freshman User
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi Joannr24,

I want to do what I can to keep you as a member of the Ford Family. How many miles are on your truck currently? I'll start researching some ways to help.

Crystal
Hi Crystal, thank you! I like my truck a lot. It has 35k miles on it. I'm just actually looking for opinions on this regen issue. The service guy I use is excellent, it's just disappointing to hear what I was told yesterday.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:27 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Joannr24
Hi Crystal, thank you! I like my truck a lot. It has 35k miles on it. I'm just actually looking for opinions on this regen issue. The service guy I use is excellent, it's just disappointing to hear what I was told yesterday.
Understood, Joannr24. If you decide you'd like me to get your suspension concern into the hands of your regional customer service manager, just say the word.

Crystal

Old 07-29-2015, 05:23 PM
etcbrown
Freshman User
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
It isn't a rumor. My truck has been in the shop 4 times for the regen issue and Ford refuses to do anything about it. They say it is "normal". Well it isn't normal it is completely unacceptable. I drive 30-35 minutes of mixed hwy and city each way to and from work and I am being told you can't drive it for short distances.....BS... 30 minutes is not a short commute by any definition. I also tow a 10,000 lb toyhauler every couple weeks. Ford needs to fix the problem or buy back the truck and stop misrepresenting their product as a normal vehicle.
This is my 13th Ford and the only one I have ever had a significant problem with. So disappointed in Ford's treatment of a loyal lifelong customer.

Quick Reply: Regen Problem -- Ford Refuses to Fix