1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

First Diesel Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 09:46 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
First Diesel Questions

Hello all, Thank everyone who posts here that helps out all those noobs out there just like me... I know just enough to get myself in trouble and not enough to get out most of the time... which is a pretty bad combination but you live and you learn!!

So I bought a 1997 F250 powerstroke with just under 240k on the clock. It ran great but shifted terribly so I knew a transmission was in my near future. I was about to start working in the oil fields in North Dakota and wanted something to get my stuff up there when the move came (I also really wanted a diesel and fell in love with OBS Fords).

Well, long story short, I blew the motor and got another from a "good ole boy" who had a "running" engine that had "110k" and had "been taken care of"... Needless to say, I am skeptical but oh well.

I got the truck with the new motor and realized the PS valve cover leaked pretty badly, so I changed it in Missouri on my way from TX to ND. I apparently installed it with a dirty plug and drove the rest of the way on 7 cylinders but couldn't stop due to a looming work schedule. After that, I diagnosed and fixed the misfire problem, but continue to see some things that worry me.

First off, it is very, very hard to start on cold mornings. I changed the heating element out but there wasn't a cold spell after the new one was installed so I don't know if that solved the problem.

Also, when I start the truck at any ambient temperature, it smokes white smoke until it is up to operating temp, after which it clears out and doesn't smoke until it has sat for at least 24-36 hours.

Last, there is a significant amount of blowby on the engine. I know that some blowby is expected in these motors but the amount of smoke coming out worries me.

I guess I am wondering if this motor is a total loss or if it is something I could do in my driveway or if I'm going to have to fork out some money to get a diesel mechanic to take a look. Also, I would like to add to the power of my truck so do any of these symptoms preclude the ability to add a chip/injectors/t500 hpop/etc?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Jarrett

Old 07-26-2015, 09:53 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds lik your glow plug aren't working. That would explain the hard start. And the smoke.

There's tests you can do to the relay and the glow plugs. All you need is a little knowledge and a volt meter. Ill see if I can find a write up.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:54 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Old 07-26-2015, 09:55 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Hey Thomas, I have changed the glowplugs and relay so I think that potential problem has been addressed. When the temp is above 40 or so, it starts right up.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:55 PM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Your GPR could be going out causing the cold starts. You may also try plugging the truck in over night, to see if that helps start on cold mornings.

You could try doing the blow by test by removing your oil cap, and flipping it upside down and placing it over the hole if the cap is pushed up in the air by the blow by it may be considered signifigant. If it rattles off from vibration its not too bad probably.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:09 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Yeah, I got a new relay when I replaced the glow plugs. I did the cap test and it passed, just seems like a lot of smoke I guess. I will bust out the multimeter when I get back to Texas and see if I can find a bad plug or relay but I really hope I don't have to replace a new part haha. Thanks for the link!!!

So would it be a bad idea to go ahead with power-ups if the white smoke is caused by something besides the glow plugs? I am not looking for anything crazy, just a little more go juice and maybe a wisp or two of smoke out the passenger side

Old 07-26-2015, 11:26 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
First Diesel Questions

Did you use a doorman valve cover gasket. They have been known to be bad out of the box. These trucks have a lot of blow by. Don't worry about that.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:29 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
I have no clue.. The swap happened in an O'Reilly parking lot in the middle of Missouri. I put another in and it solved the problem. I was kind of hoping I didn't cause any damage running on 7 cylinders for so long?

Old 07-26-2015, 11:47 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
First Diesel Questions

If you got it from orielly's then it's a doorman I would check that out. Most parts like that it's best to get motorcraft. What glow plugs did you put in. Parts store or motorcraft.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:49 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
I'm pretty sure I didn't go for the motorcraft because I was broke and just trying to get where I was going at the time. Should I pull the cheap ones and replace with motorcraft?

Old 07-26-2015, 11:58 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
First Diesel Questions

I would recommend it. The parts store ones can be a major headache. I had one break off in the head. As many others have.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:01 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
I'll put that on the to do list... I have a whole weekend before heading out to Maine so it might get done later than sooner...

Old 07-27-2015, 09:11 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Jarret,

Glad you got it figured out. I would highly recommend replacing all the worn components with OE Motorcraft parts instead of the doorman crap or local part stores junk. It s all that is available at times, but they just don’t last. You will appreciate it when you step out side in the middle of a ND blizzard and try to open the hood of the truck. I would also recommend carrying a truck box full of spares if you plan on working the winter in ND. I have to ask, but did you use autolite glow plugs?

I am not sure when you are planning to be up in the Dakotas, but I will tell you from first hand experience that ND destroys diesel engines when not taken care of during the winter. It also destroys diesel engines that are taken care of, but sit out overnight at man camps. If you have hard start issues at 40* you better sure as chit get them resolved before getting up there. If it a poppet valve issue on neglected injectors I would make sure your block heater can get it warm enough to start, or have Jim at Rosewood go over the injectors. I would make sure the truck has a block heater, and if it were me I would just replace the thing with a new OEM unit considering they are so cheap, and vital to motors up there. Some fellows equip their pans with oil heaters as well, or two block heaters. If the truck isn't running they have these plugged in at all times.

During the winter a majority of the guys up there do not shut down their trucks simply due to temperature. Yeah a lot do turn them off, but I have seen brand new ford 6.7/cummins/duramaxes completely trashed out motors at 1-2 winters up there with less than 30k on them. Yes negligence is part of it, but when its -30 out with a 50mph wind and your truck sits out in that nightly... I do not care if its plugged in, it sounds horrid when it starts, and is extremely hard with all the emissions chit they put on the new trucks.

I know I may have spit off a bunch of random stuff that may not be relevant to your future plans. I just bring it up since my commute was 70 miles each way everyday when I go up there. Every morning after a snow the roads are littered with flipped 2wd trucks with southern plates. No offense intended but its just a different experience for a lot of guys up there. There have been quite a few deaths as well of guys who lost power in a vehicle on the ROW at a job site or whatever, and froze trying to walk or just sitting in their truck.

I only mention it as seeing it first hand and the majority could have been prevented with proper gear or maintanence. There is a laundry list of stuff I'd inspect on that truck to make it winter worthy up there. Shops will charge you outrageous prices to fix it, and thats why most used lots are full of trucks guys didn't want to pay the bill on, and just bought a new one, or simply couldn't afford the fix or a tow back home.

Best of luck up there. I’ll likely pass you on the road at some point….when oil goes back up…if at all this year!

Old 07-27-2015, 09:24 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Hey nossliw, I actually got laid off last April so I'm back in Texas to stay. That being said, there is no telling where I will be this winter so I want to cover my bases. I think they're autolite so I'll be changing them before winter.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:03 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell
Hey nossliw, I actually got laid off last April so I'm back in Texas to stay. That being said, there is no telling where I will be this winter so I want to cover my bases. I think they're autolite so I'll be changing them before winter.
Cool. I'm in the same industry likely, and today's oil price crash has me wondering what the hell is going to happen in the next 6 months for jobs, let alone a bunch of other things. 47$ for WTI is going to cut it.

Regarding the autolites...I wouldn't wait any more time than you can to get them out for some ZD-11s or Bosch plugs.... They are a nightmare when they don't come out. You do not want to go down that road of removing the head for a 2$ difference in cost between the two.

Best of luck down there in TX. Enjoy the truck!

Quick Reply: First Diesel Questions