Sponsored by: DP Tuner

blower almost sucks

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 12:37 PM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blower almost sucks

Does anybody make a blower that moves more air? My A/c is cold but doesn't blow good. I can feel it in the front seat but not good. It has been changed before by the po.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:37 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Your Ducting under the dash is probably got big holes in it.... nothing lasts forever, or you may have a vacuum leak at your ESOF pump system causing your AC/Defrost louvers to hang up. I replaced mine (Pump) to fix my 4x4 switching problem and my OEM Blower works almost too good now. That pump runs the whole vacuum system.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:09 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
It may be that the evaporator coil is pretty dirty. If you buy the coil cleaner in the can at the hardware store, remove the blower motor, and give it a good spray like the can says. It will make a big difference.

If you get it first thing before the a/c has been run that day, an air blower through the blower motor hole may help as well.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:50 PM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by coax9952
Your Ducting under the dash is probably got big holes in it.... nothing lasts forever, or you may have a vacuum leak at your ESOF pump system causing your AC/Defrost louvers to hang up. I replaced mine (Pump) to fix my 4x4 switching problem and my OEM Blower works almost too good now. That pump runs the whole vacuum system.
I checked the defrost and floor vents. It's only blowing from the vents

Old 07-23-2015, 08:51 PM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by carltonwebb
It may be that the evaporator coil is pretty dirty. If you buy the coil cleaner in the can at the hardware store, remove the blower motor, and give it a good spray like the can says. It will make a big difference.

If you get it first thing before the a/c has been run that day, an air blower through the blower motor hole may help as well.
I reckon I'll pick some up tomorrow and try that out Saturday

Old 07-23-2015, 08:57 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I will warn you and say its aggravating to get it sprayed in there. I like the can stuff b/c its self foaming and will push the buildup out of the fins.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:42 PM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
I will warn you and say its aggravating to get it sprayed in there. I like the can stuff b/c its self foaming and will push the buildup out of the fins.
Ok. Thanks. Its worth a shot

Old 07-28-2015, 01:17 PM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru

You sir are right on the money. Is it possible to take the housing off and clean it good or is that done from under the dash?

Old 07-28-2015, 05:02 PM
petrokiller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 239 Likes on 162 Posts
Spray the cleaner then use just open end garden hose and flush the fins. MAKE SURE that the evaporator drain isn't clogged first. You may flood your truck.

Anything and everything that falls into the grill under windshield can end up clogging the evaporator. I found nuts pine needles and other goodies in my previous OBS truck.

Oh yeah I used shop vac reduced down to a piece of garden hose to get in the corners and vac the loose crap out first. Good Luck.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:45 PM
JockD
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Since the prior owner replaced the blower motor, there is another thing to check. If you remove the blower to clean the evaporator, check the rotation of the blower motor. If the motor is turning the wrong direction, the fan will not move much air.

I have experienced replacement blower motors that had the color code for the wires exactly backwards from stock. This made the motor run backwards if you matched the colored wires. I had to reverse the wires to get the blower to run the right direction.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:07 PM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JockD
Since the prior owner replaced the blower motor, there is another thing to check. If you remove the blower to clean the evaporator, check the rotation of the blower motor. If the motor is turning the wrong direction, the fan will not move much air.

I have experienced replacement blower motors that had the color code for the wires exactly backwards from stock. This made the motor run backwards if you matched the colored wires. I had to reverse the wires to get the blower to run the right direction.
That did cross my mind earlier. But I did not look into it yet.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:56 AM
kbarbee95
Senior User
Does the fan speed change with all adjustment settings? I say this because my truck would only get to the third setting and when I turned it up to the 4th setting it wouldnt change. I replaced a small resistor/switch or something that is screwed in to between the evap coils and blower motor. It has 2 screws and red plastic that over time the contacts in there rust and corrode and you lose the fan speeds. I had to completely break mine and wire it up because it was so stuck and brittle it wouldn't come off

Old 07-29-2015, 11:16 AM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kbarbee95
Does the fan speed change with all adjustment settings? I say this because my truck would only get to the third setting and when I turned it up to the 4th setting it wouldnt change. I replaced a small resistor/switch or something that is screwed in to between the evap coils and blower motor. It has 2 screws and red plastic that over time the contacts in there rust and corrode and you lose the fan speeds. I had to completely break mine and wire it up because it was so stuck and brittle it wouldn't come off
I changed it already. And had the same problem