Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Front end alignment issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 05:11 AM
DetailerDave
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Front end alignment issues

Took my truck in to get an alignment after replacing hubs, U-joints, and ball joints. I had to take it to the local Ford dealer as no one else seems to be able to fit the truck on the rack. The dealer was my last choice, as I am unhappy with the job they did last time I had it there, around 2010 after doing the same replacement parts.
I asked for a printout of the numbers before they started, and another printout when finished. After a while, they asked me to go to the rack to look at the truck. The "tech" was unable to turn the sleeve to set the toe. I looked at the numbers on the screen, but of course, I didn't pay a lot of attention, since I was expecting a printout.
The "tech" showed me how he couldn't turn the sleeve. He said his hook tool would not grab the sleeve, so he put a big pipe wrench on the long (right side) tie rod end. The sleeve would not come loose. Then he put the same pipe wrench on the sleeve itself, and still could not turn it. I am wondering if he could see the smoke coming from my ears, or the veins popping out on my forehead. I saw where he loosened up the U bolts for the steering stabilizer (why?).
So, they brought the truck around, and said "No Charge" since they could not complete the job. I got no printout as requested, the "tech" forgot to do so, or save the info.
I stopped at the parts counter on my way out, and got a new adjustment sleeve. I got home, and decided to go ahead and put it on. I discovered the "tech" forgot to tighten the U bolts for the steering stabilizer, and the little bar that attaches next to the sleeve. I removed the bolts in the clamps on the sleeve. I tapped the clamps off of the sleeve. I decided to try and turn the sleeve, using the proper "hook" tool. I gave the sleeve a good dose of WD40 as the can was handy. I put the tool on the sleeve, and using a standard 1/2" drive ratchet, I was able to turn the sleeve, with some effort on my part.
I am not happy I had to follow up behind the "tech" and finish the job, and loosen up the sleeve for him. Now I have to go back a second time, so someone can screw up my truck more/again. Last I took it in there, they did nothing, and charged me for it. This time, I am going to demand a different tech do the job, and I am going to insist on observing what they do.
It seems nowadays the quality of the people doing vehicle repairs has gone down the toilet.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:00 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
That's frustrating Dave. What is this "hook" tool you speak of?

I think most dealer techs are more competent than your average independent tech, but that's not always the case.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:47 AM
DetailerDave
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I couldnt think of the correct name at that moment, lol. Tie rod adjusting tool

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sp...FZKRHwodmOIFgw

Old 07-23-2015, 11:14 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Those look neat, I've used vice grips in the past. I figured there was a better way!

Old 07-30-2015, 06:16 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Those look neat, I've used vice grips in the past. I figured there was a better way!
Pipe wrench!

Seriously though the adjusters shown are great but with a slight learning curve, especially if we've been using Vise Grips and/or pipe wrenches beforehand.