1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

98 expedition dash out working on heater core and what ever else

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 11:35 AM
Man_tlac83
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
98 expedition dash out working on heater core and what ever else

Finally attacked the heat core this week. Am I done. No by any means. I got hung up for about an hour on pulling the dash forward after dropping steering wheel. Now I could have missed this screw on the instructions I found on the this site and youtube vids. The screw is located right behind the steering wheel after you drop it. Now just need to remove hoses and replace. Oh yeah and get o-rings and the blend door replacement.

Anything, else I should replace that I am missing; since I am in there with the dash partly off.

Whelp I guess this was causing the leak. So many moons ago. Stop leaked fixed it. Since changing blend door, doing this to.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:13 PM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Originally Posted by Man_tlac83
Anything, else I should replace that I am missing; since I am in there with the dash partly off.
Not really, but replacing the blend door at this time was a really smart thing to do.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:56 PM
Man_tlac83
Cargo Master
Good to know. I just thought I'd ask, just in case. Been doing tons of reading and sometimes you overread or just flat out miss something. Will keep all posted on my progress. Just hope my labeling system and my brain work well when it is time to put all back in its place.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:10 AM
alloro
Just hope my labeling system and my brain work well when it is time to put all back in its place.
It's also good to take lots of pictures so you can look back to see how things went together.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:21 PM
Man_tlac83
Cargo Master

It seems more things to replace. Taking hoses off heater core. One came off to easy and the second took some work. After getting them out and inspecting them noticed the connection was broken. It is the hose that is on the right side (view looking in engine bay from front of vehicle). Is that the outlet or inlet? Don't get me lieing on which one it is.

Top piece missing

I attempted to take the whole assembly part or at least just the hose. After doing a decent online search. I can't seem to find the whole assembly. Anyone have an idea? The 3 hoses and the T-adapter. If I have to go to Ford to get it. Not an issue. Bayshore Ford parts department is open til 11:30pm tonight. Love that they are a fleet shop .

Piece that is missing from other side

The other issue is when taking that off there was a peice inside the T-adapter (I am making that the official name for it.) That connected the hose to it; it broke in pieces.

T-adapter and two hoses removed the other hose

Little black pieces

Since I like a job done right, maybe not right for my pockets. I am taking ideas on how to do this cheap and good, doesn't have to be fast. I have my time with this, even though I wont it finished asap,lol.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:35 AM
alloro
I am taking ideas on how to do this cheap and good, doesn't have to be fast.
If you mean the hose connection, just cut it off and slide it onto the heater core along with a regular hose clamp.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:17 AM
Man_tlac83
Cargo Master
Leave the o-rings on correct.

What about the T connector? The piece inside broke to 3 or so pieces. When I dig on and foul things up. I really do.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:35 AM
alloro
Leave the o-rings on correct.

What about the T connector? The piece inside broke to 3 or so pieces. When I dig on and foul things up. I really do.
If you cut off the quick fitting and use a hose clamp then you do not need the O-rings. For the tee, you'll need a replacement, which might be available at any auto parts store if you know the I.D. of the 3 hoses.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:17 AM
Man_tlac83
Cargo Master
Sorry for the late feedback. Lots has happed. I did cut the line and just used a hose clamp. Also auto stores near by didn't have what I was looking for so. I just the part at HomeDepot (lets see how long that holds up).

My fear is it not being able hold the temperature. What do you think? Still planning on purchasing what I need from Ford, but this should work for now.

It looks like what auto was trying to give me but this had the 3/4 (I think) larger diameter holes.

I started closing every thing up, started the vehicle first. No leaks, then finished closing her up. Started her again to move my vehicle back more. Guess what a leak. Think it is shotting from the fire wall. So i my not have pushed the outlet house on to well. Will up date, later.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:22 PM
Dark Horse
Senior User
If that tee is standard pvc it wont stand the heat for long (pvc gets soft and flexible at about 150 degrees Fahrenheit) if it is cpvc for hot water you are probably OK if not get either copper or brass fittings and you won't have to worry about it again. the Idea is good you just need something that will stand the heat..... you could also use galvanized or black pipe fittings all of witch should be available at any plumbing supply shop.

Mark

Old 08-02-2015, 11:09 PM
Man_tlac83
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
...if not get either copper or brass fittings and you won't have to worry about it again. the Idea is good you just need something that will stand the heat..... you could also use galvanized or black pipe fittings all of witch should be available at any plumbing supply shop.

Mark
That was my issue with the one at the part store. Brass I was afraid of the heat but I do get your point and forgot all about the plumbing store not that far from me. I will check it out. Thanks Mark!

Old 08-03-2015, 03:26 PM
Man_tlac83
Cargo Master
Haven't been to the store today, but I did figure out thatbmy outlet pipe was not connected to the heater core correctly. Been trying for the last hour with and without help. Hose and the connector refuse to mate. So I say screw that ho(s)e. Going to cut the hose and just purchase a hose clamp. Also going to get more hose and an adapter. To make this easier for me for both ends. While trying to force the other side on. I ended up pulling the inlet hose off. Going to relax a little and get back at it hopefully before the sun goes down.

With my truck being down. I haven't had a chance to really dig into the 88 stang 5.0 lx. That is bumming me out big time.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:14 PM
Man_tlac83
Cargo Master
Correct me if I am wrong. The heater cores working pressure is about 35 psi correct? With that being said. This hose would more than likely be a bad idea.

Type Automotive heater hose
Material Rubber
Color Black
Outside Diameter (Inches) 1-in
Inside Diameter (Inches) 5/8-in
Size - Length 10-ft
Max PSI Rating (PSI) 40
Recommended Working PSI (PSI) 40
Max Operating Temperature (Degrees) 200 Shop Samar 1-in x 10-ft Rubber Automotive Heater Hose at Lowes.com

Would any of you trust this hose? My concern is the "working 40psi" and the "max 40psi". Why would the working and max be the same. I may just have to find a napa with the hose size I need. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Sorry if I am over thinking this. Just who, I am.

Plumper's store and another truck parts store. Of course no one has the part I am looking for. Well not in the size I need. Whelp, forgot about NAPA and guess, what they have plenty of the heater plastic tee's in the size I need.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:40 PM
Man_tlac83
Cargo Master
I lucked up and when I went to Napa for the Tee and the single connector. I asked about Hoses just to see what they had. Luckily they did after the lovely lady went upstairs to check. Also got a small can of PB Blaster with a rebate so it only cost me 0.99 .

I am hoping that I can button it all up in the morning. I miss driving my truck.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:32 PM
alloro
Correct me if I am wrong. The heater cores working pressure is about 35 psi correct?
I believe it's only 16-18 PSI.

Quick Reply: 98 expedition dash out working on heater core and what ever else