Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Lowering EGT When Towing

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 04:56 PM
1L243
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Lowering EGT When Towing

Has anyone been sucessful lowering EGT's when towing by adding After market accessories.

1999 F250 2WD 4R100 6.0 trans cooler pillar gauges S&B Air Intake DP tuner F5 with 40 and 60 HP Tunes.

I am towing 12k...I have plenty of power until I get to a grade maybe 6 percent. I am out of overdrive and running about 60 mph when I hit the grade. I run into high EGT's so I have to back out of the throttle ultimately when the truck slows to 40 mph I shift into second and remain in second gear the rest of the grade..

Suggestions ie... injection, exhaust, live with what I have....

Old 07-13-2015, 05:01 PM
sudsmcduff
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's exactly what I have to do towing 10k trailer. 60hp dp tow tune.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:24 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 856 Likes on 623 Posts
A common cause of high EGTs is up pipes leaking at the collector on the back of the turbo. That should be addressed first with new donuts or bellowed uppies.

I saw EGTs drop with the larger 6.0 style intercooler. The long 6% grade is where you will get the benefit. 100* lower lets you keep your foot in it longer. I have an older style Mishimoto, they are even better now.

4" exhaust is also highly recommended to lower EGTs but I did not go down that road yet. Just a straight thru muffler for mine, a Walker BTM.

Those are the big 3 I'd address, in that order.

People also say DP tunes run a little hotter than others, but I'm happy with them. X3 with the DP tow tunes, 40hp and 60hp.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:50 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1.) Bigger exhaust - 4" turbo back (cat/muffler delete)
2.) Van turbo w/ high flow outlet/EBPV delete, along with a wicked wheel 2
3.) Change to larger 99.5-03 turbo spider, intake plenum, and intercooler and pipes ( at the same time as the van turbo) ( Assuming you have an e99 with the smaller parts)
4.) Water/meth injection
5.) You could try a heat wrap/shell on the turbo. It will keep underhood temps down, and exhaust gas velocity up, helping to reduce exhaust restriction.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:14 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Exhaust is a solid choice, as is keeping the RPM's around 22-2300. Dragging 8900-10,000 lbs pending race load out I'll max EGT's right around 1200°

I'm going to throw a huge wrench into the mix and say your DP Tuner is a big source of high EGT's as well. Every single one of the tunes I had on mine ran way to hot, way to smokey, even after being retuned and tweaked. Tuning to use only half the pedal is ridiculous, as is the massive amount of overfueling down low to increase throttle response. For the live-tune price, I just swapped tuners and haven't looked back since. I have never exceeded 1250° on Gearhead tunes unless I'm running a hot tune. Not trying to sell their product, but it's a night and day difference and many people have switched and been very happy.

Personally I'd throw some 4" exhaust on and give the guys at Gearhead a call.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:23 AM
snknby123
Elder User
Personally I'd throw some 4" exhaust on and give the guys at Gearhead a call.
^ What he said^

Lots of good recommendations already posted. I tow 10K and run the Van Turbo (1.15 Exhaust housing) with GearHead tunes and also have never seen it break 1250.

So yeah...
4" Exhaust
Address your up pipes if leaking
Larger Turbine housing (Van Turbo)
GearHead Tunes

and

Old 07-15-2015, 11:17 AM
sudsmcduff
More Turbo
I bought the dp cuz It was highly recommended to me from this forum. Guess it was a waste of time and money. Way better then my old triple dog though.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:18 AM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Like said above- First make sure up's are guttentite & no boot leaks.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:28 AM
sudsmcduff
More Turbo
Yea your right. I never looked at my up pipes. Not sure where to check for leaks.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:40 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't feel bad, I did the same thing with the DP when I was shopping for a tuner. I had also never heard of Gearhead during that time, they're small and don't really advertise like the big companies can. I took a ride in a few GH tune vehicles, and was sold. It's safer tuning overall. Plus, re tunes are free regardless of where you get your upgrades from.

For the up-pipes, they usually tend to start leaking at the donut seals between the uppies and the manifolds. They're also known to leak up at the baby's butt, however you'll get obvious signs of leakage there with soot all over the place. Same thing with the donuts leaking, soot streaks and marks on the pipes, clamps, and hardware. You can see them if you get under the rig and look up past the transmission bell housing, they branch off the manifolds and head up the firewall.

That's one nice thing about a diesel, exhaust leaks are REALLY easy to find.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:14 PM
sudsmcduff
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
Don't feel bad, I did the same thing with the DP when I was shopping for a tuner. I had also never heard of Gearhead during that time, they're small and don't really advertise like the big companies can. I took a ride in a few GH tune vehicles, and was sold. It's safer tuning overall. Plus, re tunes are free regardless of where you get your upgrades from.

For the up-pipes, they usually tend to start leaking at the donut seals between the uppies and the manifolds. They're also known to leak up at the baby's butt, however you'll get obvious signs of leakage there with soot all over the place. Same thing with the donuts leaking, soot streaks and marks on the pipes, clamps, and hardware. You can see them if you get under the rig and look up past the transmission bell housing, they branch off the manifolds and head up the firewall.

That's one nice thing about a diesel, exhaust leaks are REALLY easy to find.
Thanks for all that info

Old 07-20-2015, 09:13 AM
GEugeneS
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
When climbing 6% and 7% grades at high altitude, I must back off the throttle quite a bit to keep the egt's in check. I pull about 12K and I thought this was normal. For instance on the 395 going north the long 6% Sherwin grade I get down to maybe 45 or 50 mph and on the shorter steeper 7% Lee Vining grade it get down to 40 or 45. Still that's better than my 460 Ford which got down to 25 with my foot on the floor all the way even with Bank's headers!

Old 07-20-2015, 10:24 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like others have recommended, definitely check into the up-pipes, aftermarket 4" exhaust and possibly an inter cooler upgrade.

The van turbo dropped my EGT's a good 150 degrees when towing. It takes a second or two to light but once she catches she's up to 20+ psi quickly and the drive pressure ratio is much nicer. But at higher altitude the 1.15 housing results in more smoke and an increase in lag. At higher altitude some prefer the 1.0 housing.

The aftermarket inter coolers will easily drop EGT's as well. I went with the DI intercooler and it dropped my EGT's about 200 degrees while towing. The 6.0 intercooler is much cheaper but will drop the towing temps a good 100 degrees.

Tunes make a big difference as well.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:45 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't spend more money then you have to. DP tunes are MORE then capable of doing what they're intended to do, IF your truck is running properly. Leaky up-pipes are most likely your problem. And upgrading your intercooler will reduce your temps a lot! People are really quick to bash and blame a tuner, but the reality of it, is their truck had other issues they hadn't solved yet in most cases.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:33 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
There are also those who have the inside track on more info. When on the computer (not a portable device), look up and to the right. You will see our sponsor there. Read into that what you will, but about the worst thing anyone will post is "DP Tunes run a little hotter than the others" - without bringing on the popcornfest.

Quick Reply: Lowering EGT When Towing