1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my new to me f350

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 11:58 AM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just realized i have a 99 f250 im selling, its a beater so ill take it off that truck before i sell it.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:07 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Question...so i bought another tri ball for the 350 today so i could leave my old one on my excursion, as i have 3 trailers and each have all 3 ball sizes lol.

Not that any i doubt exceed the ratings on either one, but i just want someone who knows more to clarify for me.

Both are 1-7/8", 2", and 2-5/16". The old rusty one thats on my excursion is 3500lb, 5000lb, and 7500lb, respectively. (Not sure what brand, the sticker has worn off, but i think its from harbor freight) also, the old one has a completely solid shank.

The new reese one from Walmart (28 bux) is the same sizes, with a 2000lb, 6000lb, and 10000lb. The 1-7/8" is less, while the other two are more. This new one has a hollow shank.

Im not sure on the tongue ratings for the old one, the new one is 200lb, 600lb, and 1000lb. If its the same as this one, I'm assuming its around 350lb, 500lb, and 750lb.

The old one is wayyyyy heavier, due to the solid shank I'm assuming.

So again, not that I'll likely exceed those ratings, but i figured ill put the new one on the 350 since I'll tow heavier things with that. Is it just different ratings from different companies? It's weird that the smallest ball has a higher rating on the old one, but the other 2 sizes have higher ratings on the new one.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:57 AM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Higher rating because the old one is solid receiver and maybe better steel.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:41 AM
6.2 V8 power
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too would stick with the old one. It's still going strong. Just hit it with a little paint and it would look new.
Nice truck by the way.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:58 AM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
even if the old one has lower ratings? im still gonna keep the new one, if the solid shank one is better, ill leave that on the f350 and put the new Reese one on my excursion, as ill tow with it, but anything that heavy ill use the new diesel. i used the new Reese one to tow my 16' enclosed trailer loaded down with tools and supplies around the block a few times to see how the dually tows. the hitch worked great and i literally couldn't even tell i had a trailer behind me. the excursion (v10) towed the same trailer well, but i could tell it was behind the excursion compared to the f350.

and thanks, 6.2 V8 power! im loving it so far!

Old 07-21-2015, 09:49 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
This pic was too cool not to post!

Old 08-15-2015, 06:39 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
so...the tires on there now (at least the 2 front ones) are dry rotting pretty bad on the sidewalls. i haven't really inspected the rears, but if i need to get new tires in the front, im just gonna bite the bullet and get 6 new ones in the size i want, 315/75/16, on the stock wheels.

i read i need spacers for the rear wheels. what size and what brand should i purchase? i don't want to mess around and get cheap ones because I've heard too many horror stories of people using cheap wheel spacers.

last but not least, i guess the front needs to be "leveled". what products should i look at for this?

probably going to go with the tried and true bfg AT's. possibly goodyear mtr's but 99% sure the bfg's.

not something that has to be done tomorrow, but if i can get a list together of suspension stuff i need, i can start ordering that and get that installed so when i do order tires, they will be plug and play other than the wheel spacers for the rear wheels.

the stock suspension (assuming it's never been changed, its an 04 but only 39k miles on it) doesn't look like it sags what so ever, so i dont think anything needs replacing. do any of you guys put different shocks all around if you only level the front? ill let you guys talk to me about it and ill just listen lol.

annnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddddddddddddd.............. .go!

Old 08-16-2015, 04:57 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ufvj217
so...the tires on there now (at least the 2 front ones) are dry rotting pretty bad on the sidewalls. i haven't really inspected the rears, but if i need to get new tires in the front, im just gonna bite the bullet and get 6 new ones in the size i want, 315/75/16, on the stock wheels.

i read i need spacers for the rear wheels. what size and what brand should i purchase? i don't want to mess around and get cheap ones because I've heard too many horror stories of people using cheap wheel spacers.

last but not least, i guess the front needs to be "leveled". what products should i look at for this?

probably going to go with the tried and true bfg AT's. possibly goodyear mtr's but 99% sure the bfg's.

not something that has to be done tomorrow, but if i can get a list together of suspension stuff i need, i can start ordering that and get that installed so when i do order tires, they will be plug and play other than the wheel spacers for the rear wheels.

the stock suspension (assuming it's never been changed, its an 04 but only 39k miles on it) doesn't look like it sags what so ever, so i dont think anything needs replacing. do any of you guys put different shocks all around if you only level the front? ill let you guys talk to me about it and ill just listen lol.

Talkin Tires is the same as Talkin Oil and Coolant, soooo it's a matter of what you pull weight and tires are rated for then you go comfort smooth ride hehehe 350 s a smooth ride jajajajaja , ok now back to business , longevity , in witch falken tire or Cooper has non of the above, the most I got out of the Falken close to 65 thou showing signs of ware on the out side tread in the center is squire with enough beef to get me through summer, I load them down with about 23 thousand pounds of what ever I'm pulling that day, dump trailer , bob cat, Hogs, Cattle.etc. BF Good Year has been a good all T terrain tire as we'll.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:43 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,496 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Nice thing with a dully is that the suspension will hold up unless they where beat to hell. As far as BFG i tried them on my 08 (17") and the truck just didn't like them (to aggressive), with that being said I had 2 that where still good and put them on the truck now (front) and my mileage has suffered. Running stock OEM on the back. But if you're not putting a lot of miles on or don't carer about mileage the BFG are great traction or where a least for me.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:26 AM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
not gonna be putting a TON of miles (i daily this as well as my excursion and sometimes my scion/other cars also, so the miles get split between all my cars, so no 1 car gets a ton of miles.

i still have plenty of time to research before i order. i may go down in size a tad so the tires dont balloon as much since im using the narrow stock wheels. but def want something a little bigger than whats on there now which if i recall was 235/85/16.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:19 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
so a few days ago i was moving my trailer in the back yard, with all the rain i got stuck so i put it in 4wd. still wouldn't move. figured the vacuum lines weren't working, so i go out and locked them manually, good to go.

i do notice that sometimes (not every time) if i have the air on and then i put it in 4x4, the air stops blowing out of the vents, and blows out of the top slot vents near the windshield. goes back to normal when i put it back into 2wd. anyone seen this before?

also, which is more of a major issue that i need to fix soon i would assume, is in the last 2 or 3 days i've noticed when i turn left or right, i can feel a little clicking (cant really hear anything, i just feel the clicking/thumping) in the front end. it probably happens all the time when i turn but i can only actually notice it when im going slow, like in a parking lot, or a right turn from a stop (only notice it more on sharp turns but like i said im sure it happens on faster/wider turns i just dont feel it).

from what i read during a quick search of this symptom, seems the hubs may be bad and not fully unlocking? i have an extended warranty on the truck, i have to pay a $250 deductible. im sure the hubs would cost that or more alone, but also the a/c issue i could report under this claim also and get the dealer to fix that. just want to get a heads up of what the thumping in the front end could be before taking it in.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:35 PM
Kaw-Liga
Junior User
i do notice that sometimes (not every time) if i have the air on and then i put it in 4x4, the air stops blowing out of the vents, and blows out of the top slot vents near the windshield. goes back to normal when i put it back into 2wd. anyone seen this before?
This sounds like there is a vacuum leak somewhere in the system; the lines or the pump itself going out. A quick google search will bring up a number of threads about it from different forums (mostly by searching for problems with automatic hubs).
Here's one, this one has a video (be warned the sleep-deprived guy making the video takes 18 minutes to cover a few minutes worth of information, but at least it's there for you to see), and another that relates how the vacuum for the AC/Heater is used to lock the hubs too.

also, which is more of a major issue that i need to fix soon i would assume, is in the last 2 or 3 days i've noticed when i turn left or right, i can feel a little clicking (cant really hear anything, i just feel the clicking/thumping) in the front end. it probably happens all the time when i turn but i can only actually notice it when im going slow, like in a parking lot, or a right turn from a stop (only notice it more on sharp turns but like i said im sure it happens on faster/wider turns i just dont feel it).
Sounds like your warranty ought to be able to take care of the vacuum leak and whatever this problem is that is causing the clicking. Fixing the leak can be as simple as a bit of fresh tubing, but if the hubs are wearing out, you better get them fixed sooner rather than later (what with a warranty and all).

-Kaw-Liga.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:48 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
So i came across a leak under the dash on the passenger side. Haven't dug into it much yet, i will tomorrow, but I'm thinking it may be the same issue i had on my 99 f250, and that being the heater box clogging up. What i did was drill a tiny pilot hole on the bottom so any backed up water would drain right out into the passenger wheel well.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:56 PM
ironman1977
Senior User
nice truck, you will like that truck and it will work good for you

Old 09-01-2015, 10:15 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Thanks. So far I'm loving every second of it!

Quick Reply: my new to me f350