6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Lightbar install......well maybe...what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 04:12 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, here's the story behind the light bar. It is a 50" curved bar that my son purchased for is Kawasaki side by side. Of course he looked and looked until he could find the highest power brightest light bar on the market then paid big bucks to buy it.

Well, after it came it was just a little short to fit how he wanted it to fit and look. I told him we could fab up some brackets, but he would have no part of that. Plus I guess he found out that this bar is so bright and powerful that it will drain a new side by side battery from new to dead in less than 15 minutes. Yes, it is LED lights, but there are a bunch of them and more powerful that the standard LEDs.

So I got to playing around with it on my truck. Headache rack mount and aim it to the rear was one option. Then I could easily see where I have been and what's behind me.

Then a brain fart kicked it as I realized that the curve of the light bar was about the same as the curve on the front of a Superduty. A little working with various scraps, clamps and beer here is what I came up with. I haven't hooked the wiring up as of just yet. I want to make sure that I am positive of the look first.

So lay your feedback upon my shoulders. Good, Bad or Indifferent I would like to hear your thoughts.

View out of the windshield from the drivers seat. You can just see the light bar upper portion.

Front view.

Front angled view.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:44 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of light!! Can you access the hood latch easily? Will it get in the way of doing routine maintenance in any way? Just make the center of the engine harder to reach I guess. But could be done from the side. It doesn't look as bad as I originally thought while reading the text. It could grow on me that's for sure.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:55 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
It doesn't block any access to the latch or really anything under the hood. If I need a little extra height to access under the hood I have both the grill guard as well as the front receiver hitch frame I can stand on.

I'm still on the fence as to keep it or lose it. It is a different stance for a light bar for sure.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:22 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Found out that they are a combination of spot and flood lights. They all are on at the same time with a total of 41,000 lumens.

I'm guessing that is pretty bright?

Old 07-05-2015, 07:23 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Wow, almost 100 views and only one feedback? That can't be a good thing.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:48 PM
lwk362393
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a combo flood/spot behind my grill guard that I like a lot. Personally, I like the look behind the guard better, but it might be tough with a 50"+ bar. Mine's only 32".

Old 07-05-2015, 08:45 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by lwk362393
I have a combo flood/spot behind my grill guard that I like a lot. Personally, I like the look behind the guard better, but it might be tough with a 50"+ bar. Mine's only 32".
I went out and took a look, that's not really an option with the long bar.

Thank you for the suggestion,

Old 07-05-2015, 10:00 PM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never seen one mounted this way. As long as you like it and it works good, thats all that matters!

Old 07-06-2015, 06:32 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
I also have hyperspot/flood combo. Mine is only 20" and puts out HUGE light. You'll be able to land planes with yours. Install looks clean. Here's mine hidden in the grill:

Old 07-06-2015, 06:46 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
I do like the look of the smaller light bar mounted on the grill. It tucks away very nicely.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Adobe 11SD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonrjen
Wow, almost 100 views and only one feedback? That can't be a good thing.
Since you asked, I personally don't like the look on top of the grill guard.

But to be fair, I usually do not like the look of "bolt on" mods. No offense intended!

Old 07-06-2015, 10:00 AM
Leonandlisa
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not a fan of the look either, I think it would get annoying every time you opened the hood to do anything. They make a windshield mount, here is a pic

I have seen it on Jeeps around here and it looks good, like someone else said, though it all a matter of opinion, if you like it, that is all that matters.

Leon

Old 07-06-2015, 10:13 AM
David1986
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
IMHO I don't care for it. I think it looks kinda Madmax, but if you like it that's Great. I would rather have a smaller one mounted inside the grill guard for a clean fit and finished look. I'm more of a keep it clean and OEM kinda guy.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:29 AM
lwk362393
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Leonandlisa
I am not a fan of the look either, I think it would get annoying every time you opened the hood to do anything. They make a windshield mount, here is a pic

I have seen it on Jeeps around here and it looks good, like someone else said, though it all a matter of opinion, if you like it, that is all that matters.

Leon
I really like this option too, actually. If I had a 50" bar that's how I'd do it.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:45 PM
Dr. T
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Leonandlisa

Leon
Prefer this for 50" bar. What you like is what matters

Quick Reply: Lightbar install......well maybe...what do you think?