1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Am I crazy for wanting to upgrade to a 6.7 PSD???

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 06:57 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Just personal preference. No right or wrong here.
True that! 100% agree, for me its that sentimental stuff.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:00 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by sledhead999
Do you guys think the 6.7L will have the long term durability/reliability these 7.3L's have when they are 12-15 years old?
Lot's of road construction around these parts and some of the roads are in awful shape and filled with potholes and such.

From what I've gathered from the locals is reliability and fuel economy are greatly improved if you hit a pothole just right and all the emissions stuff happens to fall off.

Then again, they also brag about how their new $60,000 truck can not get as good a fuel economy as my 7.3 with 513,000 miles on it. For some reason that part doesn't impress me.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:01 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I debated this question myself lately. I didn't want another payment. I'd rather replace the body and rebuild the engine and tranny than do the same thing to a newer truck AND pay the bank at the same time.

Went and picked up my new bed today!

Old 07-01-2015, 07:10 PM
tonym17
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the 6.7 still have problems ford wont fix for some $()*&@ up reason...
primary radiator will end up leaking..allot of broke egr bolts...some DEF problems that put the truck in limp mode...
Dealership fixes are high$$$$ for the 6.7 if you can't do the work yourself

but towing wise no comparison there....

Old 07-01-2015, 09:29 PM
endobear
Tuned
Rented a 6.7 to tow my 13,000lb Toy Hauler home after my 7.3 broke down.
About a 500 mile test drive. That 6.7 out towed my 7.3 hands down, Night and day difference. I would let my wife drive towing with the 6.7.
I still love my 7.3. Only time I will wish I had the 6.7 is when Im towing real heavy.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:16 PM
LurkerX
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by endobear
That 6.7 out towed my 7.3 hands down, Night and day difference. I would let my wife drive towing with the 6.7.
I still love my 7.3. Only time I will wish I had the 6.7 is when Im towing real heavy.
My experience was night and day difference as well, but the other way around.
Granted, I have done some work on my truck, but what you say would lead me to believe that you've had issues with your 7.3 for a while - and just didn't know.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:36 PM
endobear
Tuned
Originally Posted by LurkerX
My experience was night and day difference as well, but the other way around.
Granted, I have done some work on my truck, but what you say would lead me to believe that you've had issues with your 7.3 for a while - and just didn't know.
My truck isn't stock but doesn't have any big power mods. Ive always questioned (worried about) the health of my 02 but she has pretty much towed the same since I bought her in 03.
Im sure my lift and tires hurt my towing performance.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:05 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
It will be a cold day before I surrender to a newer truck note again.. I understand the torn situation because ford FINALLY produced another good engine..

That being said, I can't imagine it lasting as long because of the extreme electronics.. I am biased though because the thought of not being able to work on my diesel scares me a bit..

I guess I'm just as outdated as my 99 PSD

Old 07-02-2015, 02:25 AM
clem1226
Postmaster

If I had to replace my tried and true 7.3l my first choice would be a 6.2l gas truck.

The loads I pull haven't gotten any bigger than when I bought my 2000 450,000 miles ago and the 6.2 has 100 more HP and only 100 ft lb less torque than a stock 7.3. With the six speed auto I bet it would pull just as comfortably as my diesel with all the creature comforts of a modern truck.

I'm not trying to start a gas vs diesel debate ( we're to civilized here in the 7.3 section to get in to that crap) I'm just pointing out that the 6.2 has this diesel bleadin powerstroke drivin compression ignition country bumpkin interested.

I keep an eye on the 6.2l forum and it is boring as heck cause they don't seem to break.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:46 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by clem1226
If I had to replace my tried and true 7.3l my first choice would be a 6.2l gas truck.

The loads I pull haven't gotten any bigger than when I bought my 2000 450,000 miles ago and the 6.2 has 100 more HP and only 100 ft lb less torque than a stock 7.3. With the six speed auto I bet it would pull just as comfortably as my diesel with all the creature comforts of a modern truck.

I'm not trying to start a gas vs diesel debate ( we're to civilized here in the 7.3 section to get in to that crap) I'm just pointing out that the 6.2 has this diesel bleadin powerstroke drivin compression ignition country bumpkin interested.

I keep an eye on the 6.2l forum and it is boring as heck cause they don't seem to break.
I have been eyeing a 6.2 on the lot for a couple of months. Had a couple in the past and never had a problem. Nice to have options and fun to at least dream!

Steve

Old 07-02-2015, 06:25 AM
Gatordog
Senior User
Crazy, yes. I am the same way, in that I want something different. I messed up and sold my 94 F-350 crew cab 4x4 and bought a Ranger. I just bought a 2000 F-350 7.3 and love it. I should of kept the old 94, since I need to pull farm tractors.
If I were you, I would keep your old truck, since it has no miles on it, and use it for towing. Go out a buy a brand new VW Diesel and enjoy a great driving vehicle and you get the Golf Sport Wagon TDI the fuel economy should be around 44 mpg. The big SUV is a beast, but the economy will not be that good. I bought a 2005 Golf TDI manual in 2005 and have over 152,000 miles and just no problems other than the Alternator pulling went out kinda, the clutch was locking up and caused belt noise.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:59 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
SELL IT!!...3K-5K? Thats an embarrassment. Sell it, and i'll buy the T500 ...If only 3-5k a yr, i'd keep the truck and have no payments, even if damn wheels were fall'n off.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:18 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Jdeshler
...I can't imagine it lasting as long because of the extreme electronics.. I am biased though because the thought of not being able to work on my diesel scares me a bit..

I guess I'm just as outdated as my 99 PSD
This is something on my mind with the 6.7 (as well as many other modern vehicles), but I haven't really let it out yet.

I am deep into modern electronics. The stuff we are doing with imaging system is amazing, but the stuff we're doing to bypass modules is frustrating. I'll explain:

Take your IDM - that's a module. There are chips, voltage regulators, electronic switches, and a simple firmware to make it do what it does. Now... try to make a program that does everything in there except power the injector. In essence - the IDM program/app sends signals to switches that activate the solenoids. That sounds easy enough - no big deal.

Now... replace every module with an app, then because an app is cheap and easy - make a bunch more to do more stuff on the truck.

Anybody ever have an app crash?

How about upgrades/updates. Anybody ever have a Windows update fail?

How about a damaged "app box" (module)? Ever try to just swap your smart phone? How smooth did it go?

Ever have an app do something really weird once in a while (like locking up), and you haven't yet figured out under what circumstances it happens? What if that was a transmission app... or a PCM app... or an ABS app?

Hardwired modules with firmware work, they are stable, and they last a crazy-long time under harsh conditions. Control apps remind me of lap dogs - one wrong move from you and they'll **** themselves... right where you don't want them to.

6.7 would be OK on a lease, but I wouldn't buy one - I don't want it after the warranty is up.

If the 7.3L is rusting out, the decision is made for you.

I can make my cab more modern than the 6.7L, and keep it that way. The 6.7L dash was designed months and years ago - it's already outdated on the showroom floor. I can't remember, maybe somebody else can chime in - how difficult is it to put an aftermarket double-din in there? If the truck is integrated into the sound system, good luck with that upgrade.

If one can do a coil spring mod to a 4X4, the ride argument goes away.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:26 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
If one can do a coil spring mod to a 4X4, the ride argument goes away.
i(OT)..its how i scored on my rearend...guy was converting his 03 6.o to the 05 style coil over...(guess she's a wider stance). Purdy much said it was plug/play...

Old 07-02-2015, 08:26 AM
River19
Elder User
I had a similar decision point a few months ago and punted the 7.3L which I love but I went to a large gasser instead. I don't tow heavy enough often enough to justify dealing with the new emissions and the added expense.

Been very happy with my choice and it tows 5-8000lbs as well or better than my 7.3L did. 410hp and 430ft lbs is enough for what I need it to do and gets the same mileage as my 7.3 did. factor in that I'm on winter diesel 7+ months per year and the gasser actual does better from a fuel economy standpoint believe it or not.

Add to that my friends who have 6.7L and the amount of limp mode stories and I'm all set with the new diesels.

That being said, for only 5K miles per year....is it worth the large payment?.....

To me the answer was "yes" but not on the diesel.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy for wanting to upgrade to a 6.7 PSD???