6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Ordering a 6.2L Today

Old 06-30-2015, 09:07 AM
SWV10
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Ordering a 6.2L Today

After researching for a bit here at FTE, I have made up my mind on my 16 6.2L Truck to order.
The Last SD I had was a 05F350 V10 SCSB w/4:10s 4x4, I will say I was a little disappointed with the V10 but I think mostly because of the axle ratio, I always kicked myself for not ordering it with the 4;30s.
My Toyhauler is not large but I already live at 5600ft elevation and all of my camping is even in higher elevations with some highway climbs that exceed 11,000ft when I travel into Colorado. This is where I am finding the shortcomings for my present tow vehicle, even towing presently up to 9500ft here in NM I don't care for this 5.0L F150 downshifting. Yes, I'm below the tow rating with my 5.0L and even with me locking out both 5th and 6th gears, I still feel the 5.0L is working harder than I like.
My Current Toyhauler comes in at 6000 lbs fully loaded which means the 3;73 axles should be fine with the 6.2L but I am still concerned with the higher elevations I am in all of the time.
So I have decided to get the 4;30's, I'm not taking any chances with the 3;73's.

The 16 will be a F350SRW Shortbox SC 4x4 XLT. The SCSB 6.2L is hard to find as most dealers don't even stock a SC anymore in the Super Duties, so finding a leftover 15 with the Rebates is about impossible as I do want only two colors of either Caribou or Ruby Red and certain other options in the truck.
A F250 Vs the F350 is only $700 less in Cost, so I'll just stick with the F350.
My F150 is a '14, I'll just sell it instead of trading it in, this way I can make up for not getting the 15 F350/250 Rebates.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:24 AM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on ordering the truck that you want. The 6.2L with the SC, short bed, & the 4.30 rear end is the best you're going to do with a gas Superduty as far as weight, payload, and towing power go (unless you drop the 4x4). For what you're towing, the truck will be fine, but you will still lose some power as you go up in altitude. You'll be able to pull everything much more easily than the F-150, and even your old V10. You just won't win a towing race to the top of the hill against a turbo-charged Diesel.

I ordered my truck one year ago today. Hope you enjoy the wait, I felt like a kid waiting for Christmas as I tracked it through the build and shipping process. I considered the 4.30 gears, but the vast majority of my towing is from sea level to about 1500 feet. So, i prefer to get the extra mile or so out of a gallon of gas with the 3.73 rear end.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:31 AM
eazmo
Senior User
Congratulations ,
I also could not find what I wanted and have a 16 on order. I live in a rural area and dealer only had 1 gasser that was plain jane work truck. so we ordered. I wanted 4.30 also to tow my 5er. My dealer said 13 weeks and just reached 6 and I'm tired of waiting already just excited to get the new rig I guess.
we ordered F350 lariat 4x4 CC LB tow prep 6.2 w/4.30

after a few weeks pm Crystal and she can track your truck for you. She is great.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:33 PM
SWV10
Tuned
Originally Posted by eazmo
Congratulations ,
I also could not find what I wanted and have a 16 on order. I live in a rural area and dealer only had 1 gasser that was plain jane work truck. so we ordered. I wanted 4.30 also to tow my 5er. My dealer said 13 weeks and just reached 6 and I'm tired of waiting already just excited to get the new rig I guess.
we ordered F350 lariat 4x4 CC LB tow prep 6.2 w/4.30

after a few weeks pm Crystal and she can track your truck for you. She is great.
Thanks, now I'm looking forward for a few weeks to past so I can pm Crystal.

I had the dealer put both of there Ruby Red and the Caribou head to head so I could really compare the Colors.
The Ruby Red is the Winner, I've never had a True all Red Ford, do this will be a nice Change w/adobe interior.
I had a two-tone 86 F250 Diesel with the middle color being bright Red. My last diesel was the 99 F350 PSD, another SBSC, never had a issue with it, the 7.3L was a excellent motor but no more diesels for me.
Never a big fan of leather seats, main reason for staying with the XLT.

My present F150 has the backup camera/rear sensors, so the 16F350 will too along with the 613A XLT PKg, skid plates, powerscope TT Mirrors, upfitter switches,and a bunch of more options plus the Factory spray-in bed liner (a 1st for me for any type of a bedliner)

I haven't Ordered a New Ford in 10 yrs, lately I was just buying the F150s off of the Dealer lots, so this waiting period will feel odd.
The 16 should be in a couple of weeks before my next planned campout, so I should have enough time to get the required no tow miles on the odo, guess I'll grab my Fly Rod and head up to CO and stay in a cabin just to get those no tow miles on. Life is rough when you are Retired

Old 06-30-2015, 05:36 PM
eazmo
Senior User
Yea first leather seats for me also, so well see???? they are heated and cooled but time will tell. Yea just couldn't justify the diesel thing as my wife will daily drive barely 1 mike to work. I don't like what I hear about new emission stuff. This will be a huge upgrade from our 02 f250 and we still work so only about 5-6 trips a year with 5er

from what I have learned on here orders can take from 8-15plus weeks. It appears the size of dealerships matters a great deal. which mine is a smaller one so I am now expecting 15 weeks as they told me 13. I'm 6weeks in now and no tracking available yet. I do have a Vin# assigned but that's all at this point truck scheduled to go on build line late July. then shipping to AZ.????

Old 06-30-2015, 07:41 PM
SWV10
Tuned
Doesn't really matter to me when the F350 arrives, it's ordered and out-of-my-hands.
Camp trip can always be moved back if needed.
My V10 Order came in record breaking time, it only took 5 weeks from start to finish.
I don't see that repeating, lol.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:08 PM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
Originally Posted by SWV10
T
I had the dealer put both of there Ruby Red and the Caribou head to head so I could really compare the Colors.
The Ruby Red is the Winner, I've never had a True all Red Ford, this will be a nice Change w/adobe interior.
Ruby Red Metallic is a cool paint. Depending on how the light hits it, the paint shifts to different hues of Red, and has serious depth to its shine.

You will get lots of compliments on your new ride when it's clean & shiny! My wife doesn't get it when complete strangers compliment the truck. We even had the driver of a newer Silverado roll down his window at a traffic light and ask about it.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:47 PM
RumpityRump
More Turbo
Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts
Congratulations
2015 F350 6.2, I ordered it with 4.30's (Crazy Happy That I Did that) and a bunch of our stuff that I wanted.....Not what the dealer wanted. Also I will be towing a 10K Toybox. I have already towed my buddies about 5 times now. No worries on my end. Happy Camper over here

Old 06-30-2015, 09:25 PM
SWV10
Tuned
Funny, my salesman gave me crap about ordering the 4;30s but I didn't give in.
He didn't though push any other options other than what I wanted, I've been dealing with the same dealer/salesman for the last 15 years. The salesman almost had a heart-attack when I told him to add the Factory spray-in bedliner as I never get any bedliner, lol.

He had them wash both the Caribou and the Ruby Red and parked them on the outside wall where they appraise the trade-ins, thought that was a nice of them to do that.
So you are right about how the Ruby Red pops in certain Light and it is a little higher too in price with the Ruby Red Color Option.

WOW, you have yours Jacked up, I would need a step latter to get in and out.

Looking forward to having it, I'm real good about keeping my truck nice and clean.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:50 PM
RumpityRump
More Turbo
""WOW, you have yours Jacked up, I would need a step latter to get in and out""

I have Amp Power steps.... They are the Bomb! You can not even see them on a Ford.....
8" Fabtech 37's..... A 6" will rub going up a drive way when you turn the tires. But if your just gonna city drive it a 6" will work great. If you do a little off roading you need a 8". I do more than a little Check out Fabtechs website....it states it on there and I 100% agree. Here is my "old" F350 6.4 diesel.....Now gone.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:25 PM
SWV10
Tuned
The only off-roading I do is Forest Service Roads that take me into my campsites.
These FS Roads aren't that bad, the only reason I got the skid plates is to protect the tanks mainly from rocks getting kick up from the front tires on gravel roads.
The rough roads are reserved for my atv.

Nice to have power steps, I'll let my friend know with his cummins, I almost busted a leg when I step out of it and forgot he had it jacked up so high, lol.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:15 PM
RumpityRump
More Turbo
The only off-roading I do is Forest Service Roads that take me into my campsites.
These FS Roads aren't that bad, the only reason I got the skid plates is to protect the tanks mainly from rocks getting kick up from the front tires on gravel roads.
The rough roads are reserved for my atv.

Nice to have power steps, I'll let my friend know with his cummins, I almost busted a leg when I step out of it and forgot he had it jacked up so high, lol.
.... LOL, Sorry to hear that. FYI.... On both of my trucks I had and have 20 x 10" wheels with the proper offset according to everyone. I did MEGA homework prior to purchasing them. With a 6" it would rub at about 70% turning left or right. The tires cleared at 100% turning. Well.... Just have fun and enjoy your truck.... Life is way too short for b.s.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:01 PM
SWV10
Tuned
My F350 is scheduled for the week of August 10th, so I should have it about a month later/be better if it is earlier.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:31 AM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
My F350 is scheduled for the week of August 10th, so I should have it about a month later/be better if it is earlier.
Waiting gets even tougher when you know it's been built and just needs to be shipped

Old 07-21-2015, 11:23 AM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You'll be fine. I live at 8,500' and camp up at around 10,000' often. My 6.2 3.73 pulls my 5800# dry camper with no issues. I'm around 7000# loaded up, plus me/wife/2kids/dog/bikes/cooler/etc in truck. If the grades get steep, I just go 45-50 and listen to her at 5000rpm for a little. You won't win any races with the diesel guys, but who cares.

If I don't use the Tow/Haul button, it's much better. I'm usually in 3rd on the gentle climbs to maintain 65-70. I use the Tow/Haul on steep declines only now. Lock out 6th gear when in D.

If I bought new, I would have got the 4.30s too. Good choice!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ordering a 6.2L Today