6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

engine shut down descending steep grade

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 12:43 AM
marine57_4
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
engine shut down descending steep grade

i do not think i have seen anything about the engine shutting down descending a steep grade. first it threw the "wrench" warning and than that the engine was going on limp mode. luckily no one was on the road with me, coming or going. i pulled off on the shoulder with part of the pickup and 5er on the road. no steering or brakes used the 5er brakes to stop. turned the key off and restarted it again and no code or warnings. like nothing happened. it happened twice today between yellowstone park and great falls, mt. the second time the engine light stayed on and i had to stop and turn it off and restart it and it went away.
help!!!anyone???

Last edited by marine57_4; 06-27-2015 at 12:45 AM. Reason: need to add "pulling a 5th wheel"
Old 06-27-2015, 02:13 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Sounds like a fuel starvation issue - at least that is where I would start. What year and how many miles on it? Last time the fuel filter was changed? Do you have an AUX tank hooked up?

Also, are/were you low on fuel at the time?

Old 06-27-2015, 06:15 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you can, buy a code reader at an auto parts store. Capture the codes next time and google them.

If the fuel filters are clogged there's supposed to be a warning message you would get before the engine would shut itself off.

There must be an electronic or computer glitch somewhere? Gotta try to get those engine light codes.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:34 AM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Profile shows... 08 f450 engine not listed

Old 06-27-2015, 06:46 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
If this is 6.4 motor then the next question is when was the build date?

Have you checked the wiring harness next to the airbox for loose connections/bent pins?

Had the cab off anytime recently?

Old 06-27-2015, 06:59 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok, I don't know if the 6.4 had a fuel pressure warning, if you're absolutely certain that the descending incline,has something to do with this then maybe you've got oil growth real bad and the crankcase is too full of oil.

Thermostats go bad easily and you might have an overheating egr cooler. Clogged fuel filters too.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:05 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
6.7 won't show a message but there is a code for low fuel pressure. It probably would be a check engine light though.

I would be inclined to check those fuel filters as well.

We need confirmation of motor type and codes.

Autozone or napa can read the codes.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:19 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since this is the 6.7 Forum, I would presume that he's gotten another truck...
Pretty scary stuff either way!!

Old 06-27-2015, 09:24 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Since this is the 6.7 Forum, I would presume that he's gotten another truck...
Pretty scary stuff either way!!
With his symptoms I wouldn't play games with it. Off to the dealer it'd go. My and others lives are more important than saving a few dollars.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:27 AM
marine57_4
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Dakster
Sounds like a fuel starvation issue - at least that is where I would start. What year and how many miles on it? Last time the fuel filter was changed? Do you have an AUX tank hooked up?

Also, are/were you low on fuel at the time?
this is a 2011 f-350 with the 6.7. i just changed the filters before starting on this trip. it has 52k miles. i have the gravity feed from my aux tank to the main tank. i had half a tank of fuel.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:15 PM
marine57_4
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by 69cj
With his symptoms I wouldn't play games with it. Off to the dealer it'd go. My and others lives are more important than saving a few dollars.
I am at bison ford right now. Advisor thinks it might have something to do with exhaust back pressure.
waiting for tech to put on analyser.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:30 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Please let us know what they come up with....could be interesting.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:40 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
There is also the possibility that there is an air leak from the fuel filter housing too. That has been known to happen after a fuel filter change.

Please do let us know what happens! It helps build our knowledge base to help others out.

One would think that an exhaust back pressure issue code would be a hard code, but stranger things have happened in these rolling computers we call a super duty truck.

Were you using the integrated exhaust brake at the time?

Old 06-27-2015, 03:38 PM
marine57_4
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Dakster
There is also the possibility that there is an air leak from the fuel filter housing too. That has been known to happen after a fuel filter change.

Please do let us know what happens! It helps build our knowledge base to help others out.

One would think that an exhaust back pressure issue code would be a hard code, but stranger things have happened in these rolling computers we call a super duty truck.

Were you using the integrated exhaust brake at the time?
i had the cc on and the tow/haul.
what the tech said is that the engine went into overspeed because it was in cc. i have been on the road for over 2k miles since the fuel filters were changed out without any problems. he said to take it out of cc when starting down hill and just use the tow/haul. i do think the descent was steeper than the others and i was going 65 mph. if i remember correctly it was 7%.
tech did not give me a code number but said that it said the engine went into overspeed and that is what the computer told me and than threw the wrench warning.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:45 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by marine57_4
i had the cc on and the tow/haul.
what the tech said is that the engine went into overspeed because it was in cc. i have been on the road for over 2k miles since the fuel filters were changed out without any problems. he said to take it out of cc when starting down hill and just use the tow/haul. i do think the descent was steeper than the others and i was going 65 mph. if i remember correctly it was 7%.
tech did not give me a code number but said that it said the engine went into overspeed and that is what the computer told me and than threw the wrench warning.
Good info. I just returned from the Eastern Sierras and had tow/haul, cc and engine braking on a 7% 12 mile decline. The cc was set at 60 mph and I never had a problem. I had an app. 15k 31' 5er behind me. I wonder if that 5 mph diff. made the diff?

Quick Reply: engine shut down descending steep grade