6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

need more powah

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 12:47 PM
anthonygazz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need more powah

Hell all, just joined the forum, my uncles got a 14 f-350 power stroke and is looking to bump the power up. currently has full 5 inch exhaust and chipped. I come from the CTSV world and know minimal about these diesels. he wants 1000tq and i think thats very doable with these trucks. so my question to all you guys is when going bigger turbo what all is need to support the power? obviously injectors are going to be needed but thats all i can think of. turbo should be bolt off bolt on correct? Need guidance in this build.

p.s.-ive wanted to build a diesel forever, but not selling my V and dont have the funds for the truck still...so doing it through my uncle who has the truck and the funds

Old 06-26-2015, 01:37 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,201 Likes on 575 Posts
If you delete and get a proper tune, you don't need a new turbo to get those kind of numbers. I'd do it but I'm in the peoples republic of MA where such things are punished in force. I'm sure Andre will be along to give you advice as he's turning big numbers on his...

PS: Just sold my 13 CTS-V this spring. It wasn't a money thing but as I get older my tastes have changed. Loved the car but just not enough to drive it often enough to make it worthwhile.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:43 PM
anthonygazz
New User
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
If you delete and get a proper tune, you don't need a new turbo to get those kind of numbers. I'd do it but I'm in the peoples republic of MA where such things are punished in force. I'm sure Andre will be along to give you advice as he's turning big numbers on his...

PS: Just sold my 13 CTS-V this spring. It wasn't a money thing but as I get older my tastes have changed. Loved the car but just not enough to drive it often enough to make it worthwhile.
hes running a X4 power flash? no idea if its good or not but hes looking for more power, and sounds like hes looking for a lot more power, hoping to hear from this Andre fella.

About selling the V, different wants come and go, if you werent driving it much and making payments then its worth selling. at least you got to experience it as its truly a beast in its own way, and those LSA's love mods

Old 06-26-2015, 01:48 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,201 Likes on 575 Posts
Andre goes under the handle SavageNFS. I'll shoot him a PM and have him drop in here to help.

As to the V, it was paid for but I was watching it depreciate in the garage under a layer of dust as I loaded up my toys into the truck and RV all the time. So, I got out before it really dropped in value. The announcement that the new one wouldn't have a manual available helped the sale being that mine was a 6MT.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:54 PM
anthonygazz
New User
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Andre goes under the handle SavageNFS. I'll shoot him a PM and have him drop in here to help.

As to the V, it was paid for but I was watching it depreciate in the garage under a layer of dust as I loaded up my toys into the truck and RV all the time. So, I got out before it really dropped in value. The announcement that the new one wouldn't have a manual available helped the sale being that mine was a 6MT.
cool thanks, and yea mines a 6MT too, no other way to go

Old 06-26-2015, 04:28 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 129 Likes on 66 Posts
With a good tune, he should easily be able to hit 1000 ft/lbs. I laid down 490/1097 with just a tune.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:55 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Somebody here or on Army had A/B dyno sheets (before and after tune) and was putting down just over 1000 TQ in stock trim with just a CAI as I recall...
Personally I don't know what to do with all the TQ mine has stock..

Old 06-26-2015, 09:57 PM
Sterling6.7
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by anthonygazz
hes running a X4 power flash? no idea if its good or not but hes looking for more power, and sounds like hes looking for a lot more power, hoping to hear from this Andre fella.
Whose tunes are loaded on the X4? Throw on a No Limit 5" intake and start driving. Next "easy" step is a '15 retrofit turbo and a retune.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:50 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,262 Likes on 2,265 Posts
I know this is petty and I'm being critical, but know terminology because if Rodney didn't ask me to post here, I would have skipped this post entirely. Trucks are no longer "chipped" and haven't been for years. They are "tuned" or the computers are reprogrammed to allow for other than stock parameters. When you say chipped, it sounds as though you are not as serious or credible. I'm sorry to pick the point apart, but wanted you to know that a first post and terminology that is outdated tells most to run from responding because you don't want to give a guy enough rope to hang himself.

So proceed at your own risk. I'm not an expert, but do know enough to be dangerous . In my opinion, if you go beyond what I explain in the linked post, you will need to add another fuel pump as you are out of fuel to make additional power. That means other upgrades are in line usually...I can tell you a tuned truck following the upgrades mentioned below is a lot of fun. I have 50k miles on mine (since tuned).

You will need the following items:
H&S Performance EGT Kit
That is a block off plate kit that just mechanically blocks the EGR, does not delete it. This is what I did to my truck and has worked for 45k miles.

OR

H&S Performance EGR Delete
You could eliminate the EGR and be done with it. This is certainly for the best, but it is a bit more involved. Some coolant needs to be drained, EGR removed, kit installed coolant refilled and burped. No big deal, but more work.

AND

You will need a delete capable tuner. Calling SPE Diesel or Maryland Performance Diesel is the BEST way to find out exactly what is available. Many of us use:
H&S Minimaxx or hacked street tuner. They are harder to find.
SPE is selling Spartan and SCT currently. They must have depleted their H&S stock.
Spartan Phalanx 6.7L Tuner

This one is also being used by some here:
SCT x4 Flash Tuner

AND

You will need a downpipe back, DPF delete, pipe. The downpipe is 4" diameter and is fine to leave in most cases. You can decide what diameter you want. The downpipe is 4", so most go with 4" diameter exhaust. Some decide on 5". If you want to hear the waste gate screech (sounds like a cat being stepped on), don't get a muffler. If you want to minimize the wastegate screech, get a muffler. If you are concerned with corrosion get stainless steel. Bottom line, you do NOT want DPF back exhaust. You want DPF delete or downpipe back exhaust. Turbo back is often mistakenly confused with downpipe back. It's not the same, but a lot of places advertise downpipe back and turbo back interchangeably. Technically turbo back includes the downpipe which is a waste of money unless you are putting a bigger turbo on the truck. Here are some exhaust systems that would work:

Flo~Pro

OPTIONAL:

You may want an exhaust tip to make it look the way you want...

Tips

AND

You will need a CAI (cold air intake). There's a million of them. Biggest thing to choose is washable vs. dry. If you don't know specifically how to clean a filter, dry it and oil it properly, get a dry filter CAI. Here are a ton of them...the S&B seems to be a nice one for the money:

S&B Cold Air Intake System (Cleanable Filter)

Old 06-27-2015, 09:45 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out SPE Diesel, when you go on their website look for the white crew cab short bed and click on that video, you will need a drool rag. You don't have to buy the kit from them, there are others who are cheaper and have been doing it longer. Come on over to powerstrokearmy.com and learn more.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:51 AM
Randy_270
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If your uncle wants more power than a DPF delete and programmer, the next step would be to do a 2015 turbo swap. A 2015 turbo swap should be good for another 75-100hp depending on turbo choice. If he doesn't have an aftermarket intake already, he should get a No Limit 5" intake. Injectors are not needed on a 6.7 Powerstroke unless your uncle plans on more than 650hp? The 2011-2014 high pressure fuel pump is out of fuel wayyyy before that, good for about 500hp depending on the dyno. If he plans on adding more fuel, the 2015 high pressure fuel pumps are drop in replacements and good for an extra 50ish hp(with sufficient air). And if that is not enough, there are dual fueler kits that add a cp3 fuel pump on top of the factory cp4 pump, which at this point bigger Injectors would be useful.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:58 AM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And those are exactly my plans for my '14. I should receive my flo pro 4" exhaust and tuner tomorrow. Then towards the end of the year I will do the 15 turbo swap with egr deletes and No Limits intake kit. After that I will focus on the chassis, traction bars, maybe a 3 link for the front.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:24 AM
anthonygazz
New User
For what its worth on my "credibility" I'm using whatever terminology my uncle passed on to me..granted he doesnt know much about even his own stuff. My CTSV is modded pretty heavily and i know its not chipped its tuned and even at that its starting to move towards calibrating and not tuning.. i know every inch of that car and installed 90% of everything that went into it. ive never modded a truck so work with me here. all he told me was that he has a 5 inch exhaust (assuming downpipe and back) and that "chip". i dont know who did the work, he comes to me when he wants to make more power in his toys usually, but did that exhaust and tune on his own time.. and this is the first truck hes thrown my way. Back to the build..so the EGR delete seems like the better option as savage said, i need to find out who did the work on his truck to figure out what exhaust and tune is on that x4, also if it was including the downpipe or not and after that i guess just an intake is left. with the 15 turbo, stock injectors and pump are still good? about how much % will be left in the duty cycle after that? not concerned really on getting a new fuel pump or getting an additional.