Sponsored by: Moser

New Truck - 1st mods?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 11:47 AM
85_GMC_4x4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Truck - 1st mods?

Picked up a 2013 F150 XLT Supercab 4x4 5.0L 6.5' bed.

It's my new baby - pretty much brand new with less than 5000miles on the clock.

I'm the kind of person who keeps their vehicles forever. I expect to own this truck for 10years or longer. As such, whenever I buy a new vehicle I like to do my best to protect my investment and make the "mandatory" mods right away so that I can enjoy them for the life of the vehicle.

The vehicle will be your typical do-all family truck. To/From work every day (30 mile round trip), haul the kids/family around, camping and hauling a 12' utility trailer, etc.

Looking for recommendations from the experts here on 1st mods to make and steps to take to protect my vehicle.

So far I've done/ordered the following:
- Spray in bedliner (LineX)
- Full set of Wet Okole seat covers
- Weather Tech floorliner mats (front and rear).
- Bought the OEM fold away bed extender.

Looking to order the following soon:
- Tonneau Cover (recommendations appreciated. Would love something that doesn't need to be removed every time I want to haul my full sized ATV.
- Upgraded rims and tires. Probably 20's with 35x12.5R20s

What else would you guys recommend as the "basics" when outfitting a new truck?

Old 06-12-2015, 01:50 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
^

Welcome to FTE and congrats on your new rig!!!!

As for the bed cover, I can attest to the quality and excellent customer support of the Peragon Bed Cover. www.peragon.com Since you have the 6.5' bed, you'll be fine without having to remove the cover. Plus, Heath gives an additional discount to those of us in the forums.

We'd love to see some pics!

Old 06-12-2015, 02:03 PM
85_GMC_4x4
New User
Thanks. I'd heard the peragon name, but hadn't checked out their products yet. I'll do that now. I've also heard that the BAKflip cover is also pretty good and likely less expensive.

Truck has a crazy safety vehicle lighting package on it. Apparently worth $10k - trying to figure out what to do with it. Check out the video (similar truck, same lighting package) the pictures don't do it justice.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:54 PM
AZDesertRat
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had a new 2014 F-150 for about two months now. First thing I did was remove the plastic bedliner and make the dealer throw in an Inyati spray in liner in the deal. Next was the Ford factory rubber mat set, I find it has excellent coverage for around Arizona where we don't get rain or mud and much cheaper than the Weather Techs. I tow a toyhauler so the next mod was to sell the Goodyear tires that came Goodyears are pretty wimpy on a 4x4. Last weekend I spent Saturday going to the carwash then going over the whole truck with a clay bar then hand waxing it with Meguiars. My tri fold tonno cover comes in on Monday.

I didn't really want a black truck but it was and end of the year closeout I couldn't pass up at $15k off sticker and it sure does look good when it is all clean and polished up!

Old 06-12-2015, 08:52 PM
Peragon
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tseekins
As for the bed cover, I can attest to the quality and excellent customer support of the Peragon Bed Cover. www.peragon.com Since you have the 6.5' bed, you'll be fine without having to remove the cover. Plus, Heath gives an additional discount to those of us in the forums.
Thank you for the thumbs up, Tim!

Originally Posted by 85_GMC_4x4
Thanks. I'd heard the peragon name, but hadn't checked out their products yet. I'll do that now.
Very sharp truck, congratulations! If I can answer any questions about our Peragon cover, please let me know! I'll try PM'ing you details on our special deal for forum members or you can ask our Customer Support team if you call or email us.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Trailblazen
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I personally use Truxedo bed covers. Lo pro was great on my 2005. Ended up with a truxport for my 2009 on accident which transferred to the 2011 (accident was ordered wrong one and meant to get lo pro). They just roll back to the rear glass. Since its leather they give if you have to load bedwall to bedwall. I understand that we are discounted with Peragon but this is just another brand to look at to see if it suits your needs. I also just bought my 2011 last month so I upgraded headlights right away since they were standard halogens to Silver Star Ultra's. I also have a K&N filter in. The guy who owned it before me already did spray in bedliner, window tint and LT Mud and Snows. All I really am looking at needing is Exhaust and maybe a level kit. Then she will be done. The Filter is cheap, so are the headlights if you are looking for initial stuff.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:38 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cringe when someone says they put in a K&N air filter......there is no benefit and potentially could be doing harm......but hey its only $50 or so and those lil stickers they give you sure make it feel like a race car

Old 06-13-2015, 06:52 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
that lighting package is kind of neat, was the truck owned by the police department or something?

I would get some mudflaps to keep the paint looking nice and something to protect the front of the hood. I also like to put on vent visors so I can crack the windows when it's raining. I would really advise spraying the underside of the truck and inside the doors/rockers with some rust preventer, I've been using fluid Film and have been happy with it.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:58 PM
Trailblazen
More Turbo
I second the Window visors! I love mine when it rains. I have been debating getting the sunroof deflector for mine too. I have 3M clear film on the front of my hood as well from the previous owner which is nice to protect the paint from rocks.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:00 PM
Trailblazen
More Turbo
Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250
cringe when someone says they put in a K&N air filter......there is no benefit and potentially could be doing harm......but hey its only $50 or so and those lil stickers they give you sure make it feel like a race car
Har Har lol. I haven't had any issues with any of the trucks I have owned and I have always put em on. I just make sure to maintain them instead of just letting em sit in there forever. Also follow the instructions on recharging (i.e. don't overdo the oil).

Old 06-13-2015, 11:15 PM
85_GMC_4x4
New User
Thanks guys. Window visors sound like a good idea. Is there a certain brand or type I should look for? Wasn't really happy with my last set. The adhesive separated from the visor - spent a lot of time cleaning and prepping for good adhesion only to have it all left on the car (PITA to remove) and my visors hanging loose.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:17 PM
85_GMC_4x4
New User
Originally Posted by fordman19762003
that lighting package is kind of neat, was the truck owned by the police department or something?

I would get some mudflaps to keep the paint looking nice and something to protect the front of the hood. I also like to put on vent visors so I can crack the windows when it's raining. I would really advise spraying the underside of the truck and inside the doors/rockers with some rust preventer, I've been using fluid Film and have been happy with it.

Thanks.

It was a demo truck for a company that does lighting solutions for Police, ambulance, safety truck, tow trucks, etc.

Mudflaps sound like a good idea. Especially since I'd like to put on some wider 33' rubber. Can you recommend a brand or type of flap?

Old 06-13-2015, 11:56 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Truck has a crazy safety vehicle lighting package on it. Apparently worth $10k - trying to figure out what to do with it. Check out the video (similar truck, same lighting package) the pictures don't do it justice.

[/QUOTE]

Man I want those lights.......why I don't know, but I want em......heck I'd be riding around looking for reasons to flip em on

Old 06-14-2015, 12:20 AM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Might I suggest the AVS low profile window visors. I decided to try them on my 2011 F150 and so far I LOVE them. Also x2 as tseekins on the PERAGON bed cover. I have one of those as well and love it too. Especially the fact that if I do need to remove it, I can do so in under 30 seconds. Also if I need to I can put it in the cab with plenty of room to spare. Makes it super useful if I'm out and need to haul something that requires removing the cover first. Saves having to go home to remove the cover first then back tracking to get what I needed to haul in the first place. Also love the fact that with it open it does NOT block to rear window.
Name:  KIMG0007.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  1.05 MB

Old 06-14-2015, 05:43 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First thing I'd do is change your screen name

Quick Reply: New Truck - 1st mods?