Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 04:10 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

One of the most popular threads in the 80-86 Forum is one entitled "What Have You Done To Your Truck Today"?. In it we chat about what we've done to, with, and for our old trucks - as well as many other things. And, since a similar thread appears to be missing on this forum I'll start one.

What did I do? Prep'd the truck for our trip to St Louis, which starts tomorrow. And the major part of that prep was washing it, wherein I learned several things. First, the truck is TALL! Even standing on the running board I can't reach the center of the top, and I'm 6' tall.

Second, Blue Jeans is a beautiful color when clean and in the sun. I love it!

Third, the truck's panels don't have the same ring I'm used to from steel-bodied vehicles when hit with a stream of water. They don't seem as rigid. Maybe halfway between steel and plastic. It isn't a problem or a complaint, but I've been washing vehicles for over 50 years and this one seems different.

Last, don't wash the truck with the key in your pocket. As I was spraying the truck with the hose I noticed the tag lights were on - as were the tail lights. Then I discovered that I was locking and unlocking the truck as I washed the door handles, and when it was locked and I hit it with a stream of water the perimeter alarm was tripping. So, the moral is to unlock the truck and put the key down well away from the truck so you won't play havoc with the locks and alarm.

There, that's what I did to my truck today. So, what have you done with, to, or for your truck today?

Old 06-10-2015, 09:19 PM
rmccbride
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I carried home from the store 6 ten foot lengths of 3/4" thinwall conduit Was nice to have the sliding rear windows in both the cab and cap again.. Was 14 years without this handy thing. I'm 6'3 and starting to wonder how the heck I'm going to wash the windshield and after seeing how many tree seeds get stuck in the windshield wiper wells what kind of problem this will cause with ice and snow collecting in them.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:10 PM
F150'94
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great thread idea....

I don't have a '15, so I will just be watching and admiring the trucks.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:24 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by F150'94
Great thread idea....

I don't have a '15, so I will just be watching and admiring the trucks.
Well, just to prove how flexible the topic of this thread is, I love your avatar. We are headed to STL today and hope to watch the Royals and the Cardinals play on Saturday.

And, to tie it into "my truck", we are taking Big Blue.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:06 AM
F150'94
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Well, just to prove how flexible the topic of this thread is, I love your avatar. We are headed to STL today and hope to watch the Royals and the Cardinals play on Saturday.

And, to tie it into "my truck", we are taking Big Blue.
Thank you. Enjoy. Safe travels.

AND GO CARDINALS!

Old 06-11-2015, 05:33 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Well, I drove the truck about 400 miles today, and learned a bit about its MPG vs MPH habits. We filled up when we left home and the first 45 or so miles were at fairly low speeds, with some stop and go. And at the end of that stretch the MPG for the tank showed 20.2.

At that point we got on the turnpike and ran 77 MPH, and the MPG started south. It finally bottomed out at about 18.5 MPG, and stayed there while we racked up about 100 miles.

Then the speed limit dropped to 70 and I set the cruise on 72 MPH. Immediately I noticed the boost dropped to about half what it had been going to on hills, and the MPG started up. After another 100 miles the average had stabilized at 19.8 MPG, and it stayed there as long as we ran 72.

But as we got close to STL the speed limit dropped, first to 65 for several miles, and then to 60. And the MPG started climbing again, and was at 20.2 again when we reached our son's house. And the truck only has 1400 miles on it, so it should get even better.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:00 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
But as we got close to STL the speed limit dropped, first to 65 for several miles, and then to 60. And the MPG started climbing again, and was at 20.2 again when we reached our son's house. And the truck only has 1400 miles on it, so it should get even better.
That's really good input. All of our trips have been relatively short range, but we do have to go up & down the mountain. Downhill, the MPG is off the charts, and we get almost 30 MPG, but this is a 6-mile downhill run with no stops, and the foot off the gas the whole way.

Coming back up the mountain is a different story, and we're often getting ~~ 10 MPG, but the speeds & gears are all over the place with lots of twists and turns. It definitely does better if I switch to manual and select gears based on my judgement. I tried the tow/haul mode, and it was better than standard mode, but still left me wanting.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:08 PM
F150'94
Senior User
Well, I drove the truck about 400 miles today, and learned a bit about its MPG vs MPH habits. We filled up when we left home and the first 45 or so miles were at fairly low speeds, with some stop and go. And at the end of that stretch the MPG for the tank showed 20.2.

At that point we got on the turnpike and ran 77 MPH, and the MPG started south. It finally bottomed out at about 18.5 MPG, and stayed there while we racked up about 100 miles.

Then the speed limit dropped to 70 and I set the cruise on 72 MPH. Immediately I noticed the boost dropped to about half what it had been going to on hills, and the MPG started up. After another 100 miles the average had stabilized at 19.8 MPG, and it stayed there as long as we ran 72.

Great update!

First - Glad to hear you made it safe.

Second - Who drives the speed limit is StL? I am betting you were getting ran over if you were doing the speed limit. Anytime I drive through the city on the interstates, you have to run 7-15 MPH over the limit just to try to keep up. Passing MO drivers is not possible. I have found Indianapolis is the same way.

Third - I don't remember what you upgraded from to Big Blue, but those are about the exact numbers I see in my 2011 EB. The truck LOVES 55-60 MPH. I can get over 25 MPG if I set the cruise there. I averaged right at 20 MPG when I was interstate driving 140 miles a day back and forth to work EDIT at 72 MPH. I still see these numbers at 60k miles.

Lastly(and most important) - Enjoy the time with your son!!!

Oh and I'm still jealous I'm not in a '15.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:03 PM
benjaron
New User
Today !! I installed crown lowering shackles on the rear lowered it about two inches Give's it a nicer look Note I used the second hole in the shackles and still had to indent the bed support for clearance I modified & cut the first hole off the shackle I think using that hole would be overkill and requires actually cutting a notch in the be support
to get another inch or so 2015 platinum w/6.5 ft box

Last edited by benjaron; 06-11-2015 at 09:04 PM. Reason: add info
Old 06-12-2015, 07:01 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
F150'94 - Thanks! We are already having fun, and will find out today if we get the box seats for the Cards vs Royals game.

I sold my 2011 Nissan Murano to buy Big Blue. It only got 22 MPG average, so I'm happy to get 20 with the capabilities of this truck. And it may get better as it wears in a bit.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:20 PM
riclar
Junior User
used a step ladder to wash my truck's roof, my best mate was laughing his butt off.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:47 PM
F150'94
Senior User
riclar - Just noticed you have the wheel well liners on your truck after reading multiple posts from you. Did you go with Ford or aftermarket? How do you like them? Any extra work involved to clean behind/above them? Any pictures of them by chance? I wish they would just paint the underside of the bed black. I think the black fender wells look 10x better.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:57 PM
riclar
Junior User
Originally Posted by F150'94
riclar - Just noticed you have the wheel well liners on your truck after reading multiple posts from you. Did you go with Ford or aftermarket? How do you like them? Any extra work involved to clean behind/above them? Any pictures of them by chance? I wish they would just paint the underside of the bed black. I think the black fender wells look 10x better.

I went with the Ford liners and I really like them, they are super easy to install (about 30 mins) and I got them for $180 Cdn from the dealer. I have been checking up behind them and I have to say that there is very little dirt there and as such I really don't need to clean behind them. Of course we will see what winter brings. I will try and get you some pics tonight after work and post them up tomorrow. I am with you, it would be nice to have the wells black or the black liners come as standard equipment.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:49 PM
usedup
Junior User
First oil change at 2200 miles and pinstripe applied (dealer forgot initially).

Old 06-15-2015, 08:52 PM
usedup
Junior User
First oil change at 2200 miles and a pinstripe put on (dealer initially forgot).

Quick Reply: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?