Dee - Car Toys
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JBL'd out!

Old 08-21-2015, 12:05 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
But, does it work with the Sony systems on the high-end trucks? And, is there a less intrusive sub-woofer?

Old 08-21-2015, 12:09 PM
Dee - Car Toys
New User
Hey Gary!

The JBL Concert Edition includes four speakers, a pair of 8-inch dual voice coil subwoofers and a DSP amplifier. They are tuned to the acoustics of the truck and are designed to cosmetically match the vehicle. So it's a whole system.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:14 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
But, I read that as of June it didn't work with the Sony systems, like in my truck. Has that changed?

And, I am like the others and don't want to give up that much room under the rear seat. So, is there an option for something smaller?

Old 08-21-2015, 12:29 PM
Dee - Car Toys
New User
This is the only vehicle specific premium sound system JBL engineered. There are no smaller options at this time. You should hear it and evaluate if it is worth to lose just a bit of floor space. It is pretty compact and very well designed to fit perfect. Just plug and play.

This system is engineered for all systems (Sony included) for 2015+ trucks.

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
But, I read that as of June it didn't work with the Sony systems, like in my truck. Has that changed?

And, I am like the others and don't want to give up that much room under the rear seat. So, is there an option for something smaller?

Old 08-21-2015, 03:37 PM
F150'94
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dee - Car Toys
This is the only vehicle specific premium sound system JBL engineered. There are no smaller options at this time. You should hear it and evaluate if it is worth to lose just a bit of floor space. It is pretty compact and very well designed to fit perfect. Just plug and play.

This system is engineered for all systems (Sony included) for 2015+ trucks.
I am sure the systems sounds great, but it seems like a little more than a bit of space. This takes up all the space under the seat I use for useful truck items; i.e. tie-down straps, flashlights, hitches, etc., and would need to be in the area for backseat passengers feet. If you have another place to store the truck accessories, this works great.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:43 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by F150'94
I am sure the systems sounds great, but it seems like a little more than a bit of space. This takes up all the space under the seat I use for useful truck items; i.e. tie-down straps, flashlights, hitches, etc., and would need to be in the area for backseat passengers feet. If you have another place to store the truck accessories, this works great.
Didn't your truck come with a bed?

Actually, I feel the same way. I have gloves, ratchet-straps, the trailer draw bar, etc under there. And, when we go on a trip I fold the back seats up and put our luggage there.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:48 PM
F150'94
Senior User

Actually, I feel the same way. I have gloves, ratchet-straps, the trailer draw bar, etc under there. And, when we go on a trip I fold the back seats up and put our luggage there.

I was thinking....is the sound system enough excuse to buy a tool box for the bed?????? Not sure I could justify a $700 Weather Guard with a $2500 audio system with the accountant.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:08 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Let's see, I have the Retrax Pro back there, so if I put a toolbox in there as well there'd be no bed left.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:10 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 215 Likes on 181 Posts

We use the back seat as a "secure" yet smaller truck bed. In fact, we're going away this weekend, and all our stuff, plus passenger is going in the back seat. We NEED that room.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:32 AM
Dee - Car Toys
New User
I've been getting PMs about the Harmon Kardon/JBL system for the 2015+ F150, thought I'd share the general differences and other info here:

It was designed by Harmon Kardon / JBL specifically for the 2015 F-150. The system has a built-in custom EQ with Digital DSP and time-alignment. That type of technology takes time and money to replicate with anything else. The speakers have 8x the power handling capability of the factory speakers (see the photo), and that's not even talking about the subwoofers. The enclosure under the rear seat would be very expensive to imitate, and would still probably not sound/look as good.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:48 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
i used to be seriously into high-end audio systems, including having installed one in my vehicle at the time with self-tuning DSP, fiber optics connecting the units, headrest speakers, and even a center channel speaker in the rear view mirror. And I have a very high-end Alpine system with a 10" sealed Kicker sub in my boat. So I understand everything you are saying, and appreciate what HK have done.

Having said that, I am not willing to give up that much room under the rear seat, regardless of how good it sounds. But I would be interested in something that takes up less room.

With that, and since this is my thread, I ask you to discontinue trying to sell us on the system on this thread. If you want to continue extolling its many virtues please start your own thread. That way when any of us are interested in the system we will know where to look.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:53 AM
Dee - Car Toys
New User
i used to be seriously into high-end audio systems, including having installed one in my vehicle at the time with self-tuning DSP, fiber optics connecting the units, headrest speakers, and even a center channel speaker in the rear view mirror. And I have a very high-end Alpine system with a 10" sealed Kicker sub in my boat. So I understand everything you are saying, and appreciate what HK have done.

Having said that, I am not willing to give up that much room under the rear seat, regardless of how good it sounds. But I would be interested in something that takes up less room.

With that, and since this is my thread, I ask you to discontinue trying to sell us on the system on this thread. If you want to continue extolling its many virtues please start your own thread. That way when any of us are interested in the system we will know where to look.
Thanks for your feedback!

Old 10-01-2015, 06:18 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
So, what did I do to my truck today? I washed and detailed it, using 303 Protectant on all the plastic and rubber surfaces. Wow, there sure is a lot of plastic and rubber on these trucks. Oh yes, I used a leather cleaner/protectant on all of the leather in the vehicle.

It sure looks good, but it really doesn't look that much different than it did new, so I didn't take any overall pictures. But, there was so much change in the tires that I did take some pics of them. Here's a tire after repeated scrubbing with various cleaners and a brush:

And, here's a tire after a single coat of 303 Protectant:

In addition, I added a set of McGard wheel locks as my son says they are having a rash of stolen wheels in his neighborhood of St Louis, and I'm taking the truck up there in a few days.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:49 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 443 Likes on 325 Posts
That 303 is good stuff.

Quick Reply: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?