6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Speaker Upgrade... What have you done?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 04:13 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts

So, I searched and nothing super recent so I thought I'd poll the collective to see what, if anything, people have done as far as speaker upgrades lately. My go big or go home attitude wants me to order JL Audio C5 570's but to do them justice one of two things needs done. Either a DSP to clean up and sum the stock head's output or a new head with a fancy integration unit to keep steering wheel controls and SYNC. Either option then needs an amp to drive them. Eh, I guess I'm getting old as I just don't feel like dropping that kind of coin on the stereo right now. So, keeping the stock head which is the regular Ford non NAV unit. It came with the "premium Sony" upgrade which on a Super cab is nothing more than a separate tweeter in the front door and a garbage plastic sub under the back seat. The sub has been replaced with a MTX Thunderform powered by a JL Audio Slash sub amp.

Now, I'm thinking Focal Integration ISS 570's to start. Very high sensitivity so good with a stock lower powered head. I also read that many have done Infinity Kappa 2-ways (they are up to the 682.11CF version now) in the past with good results due to their low 2 ohm rating increasing the stock power output. Many who have done the Infinity's have left the stock tweeter connected too and are seem very happy with the results.

So, give it to me... what have you all done if anything? I'm leaning towards the Focal separates in the front door's factory mid and tweeter locations and 2-way Infinity's in the rear doors as I'm a Super Cab with no rear tweeter location and don't want to go cutting up the door panel. Thoughts?

Old 06-09-2015, 04:31 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,065 Likes on 2,216 Posts
I think you have a solid plan. I like either option...
The iDatalink Maestro can help with the install and keep the factory controls if you decide to go with a new head unit. Why not upgrade the speakers as you stated and see where you are?

Old 06-09-2015, 04:37 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
I think you have a solid plan. I like either option...
The iDatalink Maestro can help with the install and keep the factory controls if you decide to go with a new head unit. Why not upgrade the speakers as you stated and see where you are?

Yes, the plan if I did a head was the idatalink Maestro along with a Pioneer head. The questions I have for MYSELF is will I be happy with just the speakers? Will they make a huge difference with the factory head? Every post I read says yes, so I guess I'm just looking for reassurance. A pat on the bottom if you will... However, if it turns out that I wouldn't be happy with any speaker on the stock head, I'd rather go JL Audio C5 all the way and be done with it. In other words, I don't want to start down the wrong road and have to reverse course.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:13 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Personally I'm satisfied with the Sony system in my Patinum.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:26 PM
System
Prolocutor
I am with mine too until I hear something nice that makes the stock system sound like vomit. I'm used to it... but not happy about it.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:33 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,065 Likes on 2,216 Posts

This ought to make you happy...I had a complete system in my last truck and it was very good. This truck I stayed stock. I can't have it all and slent the money else where. That's a tough call, but regret is a long time. If you can swing it, do it right.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:39 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As a guy who listens to tube mono blocks and Altec 19's, there is nothing I can install in my truck that would replicate what I listen to at home.
It is what it is.....

Old 06-09-2015, 05:40 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
This ought to make you happy...I had a complete system in my last truck and it was very good. This truck I stayed stock. I can't have it all and slent the money else where. That's a tough call, but regret is a long time. If you can swing it, do it right.

I know it. I just wish I did it from day one. I also hate to do it to a truck that MAY only stick around a couple more years. (Although it's performance pulling the new RV has certainly given it a reprieve...) When I was younger, the first thing I did when I got a vehicle was gut the system and start from scratch. It all changed when I bought my first car with a decent factory system. A 2004 Volvo S60R. I just added a sub, amp and was happy as it had 13 +/- speakers and an amp from the get go. Since then, all my cars have had some sort of upgraded factory system. This make the decision harder. When it's an old shaft style AM/FM head there is no guilt in upgrading. When it's already somewhat passable (unless listened to right after a truly good system) then it's tougher to change. Ugh, and no room for another amp anywhere in my little super cab.

Thanks for the permission though Andre! Maybe I should just go straight to the Focal Utopia seperates for the front doors. Only about $4600 a pair retail...LOL.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:42 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by Ricohman
As a guy who listens to tube mono blocks and Altec 19's, there is nothing I can install in my truck that would replicate what I listen to at home.
It is what it is.....

That certainly is the other end of the spectrum! At home I never listen to music. My home theater is deep though...

Old 06-09-2015, 05:59 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I did a simple replacement with the "Infinity REF-8602cfx 6" x 8"/5" x 7" 2-Way" speakers in 2012 on the factory XLT basic radio unit. It certainly wasn't a great difference since there isn't a lot of room for improvement with that unit but the $194 was an OK expense for four. Improved word quality is what I noticed right away vs the muffled factory speakers.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:04 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by kper05
I did a simple replacement with the "Infinity REF-8602cfx 6" x 8"/5" x 7" 2-Way" speakers in 2012 on the factory XLT basic radio unit. It certainly wasn't a great difference since there isn't a lot of room for improvement with that unit but the $194 was an OK expense for four. Improved word quality is what I noticed right away vs the muffled factory speakers.

Interesting, thanks... I'm sure I have the same head as you do. The "premium" part just moderately upgrades the speakers and adds an anemic sub/sub amp. Well, Crutchfield is the only place that carries the Focal ISS series. Normally, I won't shop there as they sell at full retail. However, their 60 day return policy may be a worthwhile thing on this one. I could try the speakers in the front doors and if I don't find the improvement worthwhile, return them and go whole hog...

Old 06-09-2015, 06:29 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Some crazy electrical engineer characterized the Sony system, but it was a 2014 which is different than the 2012.
here I think https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-upgrade.html
reading this may cause more confusion than answers.

Personally can't see using any non-linear shaped speaker. Only benefit of oval speaker is that it is larger, and if you have a sub it doesn't matter.

There are 2012 stereo wiring diagrams here in 6.7 land. you will see that the front channels just use cap for tweet filter. So the front channels likely have flat response and can easily interfaced to an aftermarket amp. If you want a 1/3 octave EQ or something you can do that to with or without an integration unit.

I see no point in rear speakers unless you have passengers back there that actually want to listen to what you do. Sound from behind you can only smear imaging and soundstage. spend 2x on the front speakers.

good luck

Old 06-09-2015, 06:39 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've always built a system with new speakers, amp, and sub.

This 2015 with the Sony system is actually pretty good. I removed the factory tweeters and installed Polk Audio 1" tweeters in the same place, all 4. Doing this alone completely changes the sound, it's crisp, clear, balanced, and the new factory subwoofer is juuuuust barely good enough for me right now.

So, for about $120 you could try it as the least invasive option. These Polk tweeters are something I can't live without, drums, cymbals, triangles, and voices of course are so much more clear.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:41 PM
System
Prolocutor
Justin, on the oval thing. An oval speaker bolted directly to metal will always perform better than a round one with a thin plastic adapter in my experience. As far as rears, I never understood why people feel they mess with soundstage. I've been doing this for 25 years in all my vehicles and whenever the rears were skipped or kept stock as a "rear fill" scenario, I've always been let down vs. doing the rears too. I guess it's all a matter of opinion. As for the fronts, yes, the feed is full range. However, if that full range isn't "full" then performance will still suffer. What are the specs on the factory head would be a good question to ask. Often the head has the ability to cut response at higher volume levels to protect the factory speakers. I wonder if the Ford head is intelligent in this way or just plays full range at all volume levels?

Old 06-09-2015, 06:47 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think the factory output is pretty good, I've never had issues with needing more volume.

Sirius has terrible sound quality though, don't test/evaluate using the sat.

Quick Reply: Speaker Upgrade... What have you done?