1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Tranmission Cooler Lines (ZF6) : Part Numbers, Build my own?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 11:42 AM
freerider15
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Tranmission Cooler Lines (ZF6) : Part Numbers, Build my own?

So, I've been doing a bit of work on the truck, and when draining the radiator for a flush, I noticed the previous owner did something with the transmission cooler lines (The steel tubing is cut, and there's ~3 hose clamps holding them on). They've never leaked...but I don't like hacked crap like that on my truck.

So, I've been searching like a madman for replacement lines for my 1999.5 F-350 (ZF6 Manual Tranny).

Holy hell it's not easy.

Called the local Ford Dealer, he can get one.

Part number he gave me was YC3Z7A030EB. I however, don't 100% trust them that it's the correct line, so I tried googling it. Well, not much to be had description wise other than "Ford - Tube" looking around.

Tried using cross reference part numbers (i.e. one starting with "F" as most modern ones do)...nadda.

Tried searching here and various forums...nothing.

So, I guess if worst came to worst...I could get some stainless steel tube, some compression fitting with barbs, and make my own (after figuring out/sourcing connections for the radiator and transmission connections.

Someone has to have been through this...thoughts?

Anyone happen to have correct part numbers for these?

Since my time is harder to come by, it would be nice to be able to just connect up a new set...instead of having to build my own.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:14 PM
dsquared
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, my question to you is why is there a trans cooler on a manual transmission? How does it work? You would need a pump to circulate the gear oil, as your ZF6 doesn't have a pump or torque converter like a 4R100.....it is more of a splash-circulation, and as gear oil is very thick, I don't know you could get it to flow very well through hoses up to the radiator... I am not saying you don't have one, I'm just trying to understand the workings......

Old 06-05-2015, 01:33 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,345 Likes on 1,753 Posts
Originally Posted by freerider15
I don't like hacked crap like that on my truck.

So... I could get some stainless steel tube, some compression fitting with barbs, and make my own (after figuring out/sourcing connections for the radiator and transmission connections.

Isn't there a little bit of irony to be found in the quote above?

What do you mean by "Tried using cross reference part numbers (i.e. one starting with "F" as most modern ones do)"?

Most "modern" Ford part numbers begin with the year the part was released. For the 1999-2003 Super Duties on topic in this sub forum, that could be "F", but it just as easily could be "X", "Y", "1", "2", or "3", where F is 1998, X is 1999, Y is 2000, 1 is 2001, 2 is 2002, and 3 is 2003. Quite often, later released parts supersede previously released parts.

For example, I've ordered replacement parts for my 2000, and the part received began with 1, which would normally be for a 2001 vehicle, but it fits my 2000 just fine, as there was no change in fitment for that part between 2000 and 2001.

In your case, you seem to be looking for a part number released in 1998, for your 1999.5 truck. I wouldn't do that. I'd follow the book, which says that the F81Z-7A030-EB transmission cooler inlet tube for the ZF-6 was superseded by an updated part number... YC3Z-7A030-EB... which is the part number your dealer provided you.

Are the homemade hacks on your inlet line? Or the outlet line? The outlet line part number, if you need it, is YC3Z-7A031-EB, and yes, it used to have an F81Z prefix also, but it was superseded in 2000.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:50 PM
freerider15
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by dsquared
So, my question to you is why is there a trans cooler on a manual transmission? How does it work? You would need a pump to circulate the gear oil, as your ZF6 doesn't have a pump or torque converter like a 4R100.....it is more of a splash-circulation, and as gear oil is very thick, I don't know you could get it to flow very well through hoses up to the radiator... I am not saying you don't have one, I'm just trying to understand the workings......
Might want to do a little research on the ZF6

It uses the radiator to circulate (via pump) fluid for cooling.

As well, the ZF6 doesn't use gear oil, it uses ATF (Mercon V).

Old 06-05-2015, 01:56 PM
freerider15
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Isn't there a little bit of irony to be found in the quote above?

What do you mean by "Tried using cross reference part numbers (i.e. one starting with "F" as most modern ones do)"?

Most "modern" Ford part numbers begin with the year the part was released. For the 1999-2003 Super Duties on topic in this sub forum, that could be "F", but it just as easily could be "X", "Y", "1", "2", or "3", where F is 1998, X is 1999, Y is 2000, 1 is 2001, 2 is 2002, and 3 is 2003. Quite often, later released parts supersede previously released parts.

For example, I've ordered replacement parts for my 2000, and the part received began with 1, which would normally be for a 2001 vehicle, but it fits my 2000 just fine, as there was no change in fitment for that part between 2000 and 2001.

In your case, you seem to be looking for a part number released in 1998, for your 1999.5 truck. I wouldn't do that. I'd follow the book, which says that the F81Z-7A030-EB transmission cooler inlet tube for the ZF-6 was superseded by an updated part number... YC3Z-7A030-EB... which is the part number your dealer provided you.

Are the homemade hacks on your inlet line? Or the outlet line? The outlet line part number, if you need it, is YC3Z-7A031-EB, and yes, it used to have an F81Z prefix also, but it was superseded in 2000.

Irony, maybe...but mine wouldn't be with low end parts.

As well, if one isn't able to find the OEM lines, what are they to do?

I could get a local hydraulic shop to make me some with crimped fitting, but that is a bit beyond what I'm looking to spend. The lines are physically fine for about 75% of the length from the transmission. The PO looks like the cut the soft line, and the hard lines where the connect to the radiator. Instead of being crimped fittings, their held on with hose clamps (soft line slid over hard line).

I could get some AN fittings and run hose that way, but I'd prefer not to have nearly (if not all) the lines be soft hose (for several reasons).

As far as part numbers, I've found the "F" style numbers to be easier to cross reference. Those tend to be the most common that I come by, and most places "recognize", since that would be a base "part number". In essence, that number is easy crossed to a "house brand", where as trying to get NAPA to cross reference Advanced Auto's, vice versa, and so on isn't nearly as easy.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:08 PM
JayTheCPA
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Try contacting Midwest Transmissions. Know that they rebuild the tranny and perhaps they will have the cooling parts.

Or consider walking into a Ford / Lincoln dealership and have the parts desk show it to you on a schematic to verify it is in fact the correct part number.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:18 PM
bdtribble
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zf6 puml

Originally Posted by dsquared
I just wanted to clear something up incase someone else comes across this post. The zf6 absolutely does have an internal pump to move oil through a cooler on the front of the truck. It doesn't run under pressure like an automatic does, but it moves quite a bit of oil to and from the cooler.