Macerator for dumping tanks

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 08:21 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Macerator for dumping tanks

Our seasonal site now has a sewer - hoorah - but the owners didn't install the pipe in a very convenient place, i.e. 25+/- feet away from our 5ers dump plumbing. I bought a Valterra Sewer Solution system(http://www.valterra.com/product-cate...er-sanitation/) that works OK, not great, as it is so slow that it's painful and worse, uses and wastes way too much water. I'm considering a Flojet ( 18555-000A Portable RV Waste Pump > Waste Pumps > Xylem Flow Control - Let's Solve Water.) as a better method of pumping that black tank out. Kinda curious as to whether anyone has used this product or similar. I would probably adapt this to a 1" pvc line to the sewer as being the best way for me though the manufacturer says 5/8" or larger hose would work. Comments??

Old 06-04-2015, 01:03 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 489 Likes on 165 Posts
I don't have a need for one, but know several people who use them, mostly for dumping at home for the same problem you have. They all like them, but without looking at them I have no idea of the brand.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:49 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
If you read the reviews, I think you will find reliability issues or short life spans are somewhat commonplace. Folks like em when they are working.
Steve

Old 06-04-2015, 02:55 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
If you read the reviews, I think you will find reliability issues or short life spans are somewhat commonplace. Folks like em when they are working.
Steve
Steve - I've read a bunch of AMAZON, especially, reviews and from what I can see is that there have been a couple failure modes. The first is people trying to force the assembly in place, cracking the casing or breaking the mounting ears. The other is motor failure. The manufacturer cautions in their instruction to run for only 15 minutes, max, then a cool down. Also they caution to not run dry. I think that folks try to run these with a poor 12 VDC power source - weak battery or wiring that's too light. They are 20 amp fused which tells me that a good battery (12V) and heavy enough wire is absolutely needed. I would prefer it if a 110VAC version could be found and I wouldn't hesitate or ask forum questions but being for an RV, 12VDC seems to be sacred

Glad to hear that most folks like these gadgets - and will probably push the order button next week.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:08 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Although I realize this would not work in this situation, when we camp where there is no sewer onsite, which is most state parks and the National forest, we leave our blue tank on the truck and use a regular water pump to pump gray water in the tank. Then we just drive to the dump station and dump off the truck.

That wouldn't work for black tank, but 40 gallons is a lot of poop, so we can easily go a week or longer, provided we use the bath house when convenient.

Steve

Old 06-04-2015, 03:19 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Although I realize this would not work in this situation, when we camp where there is no sewer onsite, which is most state parks and the National forest, we leave our blue tank on the truck and use a regular water pump to pump gray water in the tank. Then we just drive to the dump station and dump off the truck.

That wouldn't work for black tank, but 40 gallons is a lot of poop, so we can easily go a week or longer, provided we use the bath house when convenient.

Steve
I have done similar in the past at NY State and national CGs though not using a pump to transfer gray water. I generally used just a short section of 'garden' hose and filled that blue tank on the ground then hauled it to the dump station with a cobbled up hitch on my truck. That blue tank gets really heavy and awkward to handle past 1/2 or so full. Never tried it with the black tank - I 'trained' () my wife and kids to not use the trailer toilet except overnight or an emergency

Old 06-04-2015, 08:05 PM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the sewer solution for home use, I have used it only a few times...and it worked great...no moving parts like a motor to break.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:50 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ATP Pilot
I have the sewer solution for home use, I have used it only a few times...and it worked great...no moving parts like a motor to break.

It works fine --- except for the tremendous amount of water usage plus the amount of time it takes to dump 30 or so gallons of sewage.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:25 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
I use this one:
Amazon.com: Flojet 18555000A Waste Water Pump: Automotive Amazon.com: Flojet 18555000A Waste Water Pump: Automotive

I only use it at home after leaving a campground that didn't have hookups and I didn't like the dump station situation. However, I've used it MANY times and never a hiccup over the last 4 years.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:00 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
I just ordered the Flojet macerator from Dyers on line. It was a bunch (~$20) cheaper @$206 with a discount code then AMAZON who would have charged me 7% NY State sales tax for a total of about $226.

Now, just hope it's at least as good as most folks say

Old 06-13-2015, 12:00 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
I use this: SewerSolution® System, Boxed - Valterra.com | Valterra.com When the line is too long at the campground to dump, I bring it home and dump it into me sewer cleanout port running 1" PVC pipe from the trailer to the cleanout pipe.

Much better price on Amazon.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:58 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by BPofMD
I use this: SewerSolution® System, Boxed - Valterra.com | Valterra.com When the line is too long at the campground to dump, I bring it home and dump it into me sewer cleanout port running 1" PVC pipe from the trailer to the cleanout pipe.

Much better price on Amazon.
Just because I could, I timed doing our 5er this morning - just under an hour to dump and fully flush a 2/3rds full black and 2 gray with levels flickering between 1/3 and 2/3rds. Yes, my Sewer Solutions did a good job, but I already have too much gray hair to wait that long in my life cleaning out a poo tank. I am also putting it into a 1" pvc pipe from their supplied hose, a total of just a bit over 20' total. I will try to adapt the new Flojet to that pipe as well. My Sewer Solutions kit will go on craigslist next week for a close to 'giveaway' price.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:45 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
5 gallon bucket?

Old 06-22-2015, 05:25 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
5 gallon bucket?
What does that relate to my original question about a macerator??

Old 06-22-2015, 07:17 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
Originally Posted by Irelands child
I just ordered the Flojet macerator from Dyers on line. It was a bunch (~$20) cheaper @$206 with a discount code then AMAZON who would have charged me 7% NY State sales tax for a total of about $226.

Now, just hope it's at least as good as most folks say

Just an Amazon tip for you. If you buy from another vendor on Amazon but fulfilled by Amazon, you still get all Amazon's fast service and excellent return policy but no sales tax. I always look for items with free Prime shipping but fulfilled by Amazon as opposed to sold by Amazon.

Quick Reply: Macerator for dumping tanks