Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maximum backspacing on 95 D60

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 10:16 PM
gunnibronco
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maximum backspacing on 95 D60

I have a 95 ball joint D60 I want to use in my early Bronco. I will be running 17" rims, and want to maximize backspacing (to keep my width minimized). How much backspacing will still fit? I took some rough measurements, and it looks like 5.5" might put the rim close to the tie rod end. Without actually having rims & tie rods, its a guess at best. I thought someone here might know.

Thanks
Chad

Old 05-26-2015, 02:16 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There's no way to answer you, your application is custom, don't know wheel widths, etc.

I'll say this though while I don't have numbers handy the most practical backspacing limit is set buy the hubs. Do you want the hubs sticking out past the wheel? I'm assuming you do not.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:24 PM
gunnibronco
Trailering
Originally Posted by BruteFord
There's no way to answer you, your application is custom, don't know wheel widths, etc.

I'll say this though while I don't have numbers handy the most practical backspacing limit is set buy the hubs. Do you want the hubs sticking out past the wheel? I'm assuming you do not.
It will be a 8-9" rim. No I don't want the hub out past the rim, good point. Just want to add as little width as possible.

I've been told 5-5/8" still clears the tie rod ends (H2 rims).

Old 05-26-2015, 02:30 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
The overall width your going to have is determined by the hubs. They are the widest part that is impossible to narrow without narrowing the axle itself or going with solid hubs or something.

What you'll want is the wheel rim even with the hub. A decent way to get measurements to accomplish that is to measure the distance from the wheel mounting surface to the outside of the hub. Then subtract that from your wheel width, that will get you the backspacing you need to accomplish having the wheel rim even with the hub.

I'm wondering why a D60" If you are concerned with staying narrow and with a 17x9" wheel your not going that big on tire, then what is prompting the upsize?

Edit after reading your other posts....

Please don't scrap the 79 Bronco, I'm sure you can find a ford lover to take it. Dentside Broncos are actually I think rarer then early Broncos, not as popular yet but they have a following and only made for 2 years.

So then you decided against using the 79 Bronco axles? Why do you need axles in the first place? The stock Early Bronco axles aren't that bad except for drum brakes up front in your 74 IIRC.

BTW FTE has an early Bronco section I see you haven't posted in yet https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum45/

Old 05-26-2015, 06:17 PM
gunnibronco
Trailering
Thanks for the ideas. I wasn't taking the depth of the hub into account. I found a cool site that shows the dimensions of a wheel given certain specs. I'll measure the hub depth, and see what I can do.

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

I've been running the 79 Bronco axles that you found my posts about, for a few years now. Unfortunately, I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere, and didn't find any takers for the truck, and it went to scrap.

My plan is to run 37" tires. I'm currently installing a ZF5 speed & Atlas 4 speed with a low, low 11.4:1 ratio. I also have a 351 block sitting here, waiting to get stroked. So I want to beef up my 44 & 9" accordingly.

I am going to upgrade my HPD44 (actually a '76 HPD44 housing) to a hybrid using the D60 knuckles, brakes, and axles, and a Jantz Engineering kit & D50 ring & pinion. Otherwise known as a Jana 654.

I could just buy RCVs or other aftermarket axle shafts, but I got a bent D60 cheap, and like the challenge of the Jana 654. Yes its the "hard way", but its the cheap way too. Its a 1 or 2 year plan, just getting a jump on things. I want to keep the track width close to what I have now.

Most my EB related posts are on coloradoclassicbroncos.com. I'm not very active anywhere else.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:28 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
I lived in Gunny for 5 years, college first then some work at CBMR. If it isn't a toyota or subaru most people there aren't interested ;-) Not surprised the 79' didn't sell. Miss living around there.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:35 PM
gunnibronco
Trailering
Originally Posted by GoinBoarding
If it isn't a toyota or subaru most people there aren't interested ;-) Not surprised the 79' didn't sell.
Damn hippies.

I've been here for 20 years, now. Didn't get much boarding in this year, but the snow was crappy & I had to finish my house remodel. Hoping for better snow next season.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:52 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
I'm familiar with the Jantz stuff, sounds both like you know what your doing and that a shorter passenger side inner axle would be the real ticket for you then. You could then narrow it at the same time to get a track width closer to what you have now.

If you could find a stock long side inner shaft that is shorter that solves your problems and should be cheap. Almost all common D60s are 35 spline on the inner axle, not sure about stub shaft U-joints. Early dodge is narrower, early Ford the pumpkin is more centered so the long shaft is narrower, etc. However IIRC a custom shaft can be had for $150-200, might be worth it.

I'm betting your familiar with Pirate4x4 have you seen this? Pirate4x4.Com - Extreme Four Wheel Drive

What are you doing in the back, I'm assuming you want something stronger and 8 lug?

Old 05-26-2015, 07:13 PM
gunnibronco
Trailering
I'm not sure what to do exactly with shaft lengths. I'd like to use what I've got (or another stock application). IF using the stock shafts ends up a little wider than where I'm at now, I'm ok with that. I have 3.5" back spacing now, so a wheel with 5" backspacing will help suck my tires back under the truck a little. I've been trying to find hybrid axle builds on Pirate, but only found a few, with very little details. I think until I start putting things together, the exact dimensions will be difficult (for me) to figure.

Out back? I'm not sure yet. The point is to keep things light & lots of clearance. We just replaced a bent Sterling 10.5 at the body shop I work for, and I took the spindles, hubs, & brakes. I'm considering pressing the spindles on the 9" housing & having custom axles made. Upgrades my 9" to 35 splines, full floating, and disk brakes w/a good parking brake. There are a few other options out there, including regular 35 spline axles for the 9" and redrilling the D60 stuff for 5x5.5" lugs. I want to stay away from the 'big' axles, or I'd just have my bent 60 straightened & run it. But since I don't plan on going bigger than 37's, the 'big' axles are overkill and sacrifice weight & clearance.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:30 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
I leave you with an idea for the back that might be right up your ally. Keep your 9", and convert it to 35 spline axles using aftermarket 35 spline gears and the axles from a Ford 10.25 semi float. The SF10.25 is 8 lug 35 spline but C-clip. Cut off the C-clip end and press on the 9" big bearing(after turning) and it might just be good to go. A lot of details to work out but might be worth a look.

If that 10.5 stuff is from a 99 or newer truck it will have a metric lug pattern, not the same as your D60.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:17 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I am running 5" BS with 18" wheels. The tires scrub the leafs pretty bad. Wish they were 4.5 or 4"

Old 05-26-2015, 10:02 PM
gunnibronco
Trailering
Originally Posted by BruteFord
I leave you with an idea for the back that might be right up your ally. Keep your 9", and convert it to 35 spline axles using aftermarket 35 spline gears and the axles from a Ford 10.25 semi float. The SF10.25 is 8 lug 35 spline but C-clip. Cut off the C-clip end and press on the 9" big bearing(after turning) and it might just be good to go. A lot of details to work out but might be worth a look.

If that 10.5 stuff is from a 99 or newer truck it will have a metric lug pattern, not the same as your D60.
I'll look at the Sterling semifloat. That might be an easier way to get 8 lugs into a 9". I'll add that to my list of possible options. If someone made a 9" axle with 8x6.5, I wouldn't even consider anything else.

It is a metric Sterling, but I've seen where some OBS guys have redrilled for 8x6.5, and that doesn't look too tough.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-on-6-5-a.html

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I am running 5" BS with 18" wheels. The tires scrub the leafs pretty bad. Wish they were 4.5 or 4"
I'm putting this into a coil sprung Bronco that was made for narrow axles, so interference from the tie rod ends (and keeping the hub protected) are my concern.

Thanks for the info guys!