Sponsored by:

MachinEx Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 05:46 AM
AppocAlexx
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MachinEx Build Thread

Since im starting to get some parts in thought I would start an actual build thread.

2000 V10 Ex XLT 4x4, bought used a few months ago with 146k miles on it. Its an island truck but almost no rust on it. Have worked out a few bugs in it and am still in process of doing the long term maintenance, plugs/boots, exhaust bolts, belt, fluids, etc, etc. All will be addressed here. Pics will come as I get stuff in and go along with things here and there.

Only thing iv added since purchased are wheels and tires shown in signature.

First mods in line are:
-Modded X/B swap w/ ATS bolts and Rancho5000s in 4 corners.
-Rancho steering stabilizer, stock application for now.
-Looking at extended track bar (if needed) for the x/b swap but hopefully not.
-Ordering steering parts and will install what I can while I do the x/b swap. (ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links, etc.)

Lots of plans, not enough time as the usual. Enjoy.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:37 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by F150in4x4
First mods in line are:
Towing mirrors
-Modded X/B swap w/ ATS bolts and Rancho5000s in 4 corners.
-Rancho steering stabilizer, stock application for now.
-Looking at extended track bar (if needed) for the x/b swap but hopefully not.
-Ordering steering parts and will install what I can while I do the x/b swap. (ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links, etc.)

Good thinking on the mods, the towing mirrors are the best mod you will ever do.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:15 PM
AppocAlexx
Senior User
Lol yea I know that was my original start but had a change in plans working on getting it running better before I do the looks but if I'm getting replacement parts and can make it look better in conjunction that's my plan now

Got a few parts in today post some pics later

Old 05-22-2015, 03:37 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by F150in4x4
Lol yea I know that was my original start but had a change in plans working on getting it running better before I do the looks but if I'm getting replacement parts and can make it look better in conjunction that's my plan now

Got a few parts in today post some pics later
Towing mirrors are NOT for looks, they are for safety... seriously.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:24 PM
Xcursion88
Tuned
Did you get shocks yet?
Let me say on your rancho choice ....
Rancho 5000 are great compared to worn out OEM shocks. Or compared to no shocks whatsoever.
Outside of that the Excursion is too heavy IMO for the Rancho 5000 series.
Unless you are talking about the new 5000x version which I doubt because there are so few of those around so far.

On Rancho the 7000 would be a much better choice...more expensive I know.
Really any brand of Nitro charged shocks are better than the non nitro shocks especially in these heavy machines. Rancho 5000 are NOT gas charged

To each their own though as far as shocks go....
I do NOT like a lot of road feedback ( not a fan of the silverado ride) when I hit the bump I want to the bump to happen and be done with instantly. I probably drive a little faster than most so the stiffer shock helps with the handling as well.

I like the mods you have listed so far. Did that salvage yard for those springs hook you up? (we texted if you remember)
I just put a set of Rough Country 200 psi shocks on the front of a customer super duty. Just the standard N2.0 . I would think you might like those a bit better than the rancho since you are looking into swapping to some x springs which will be miles more firm than the stock springs that came with it.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:44 AM
AppocAlexx
Senior User
I'll take a look into those shocks, first Iv heard of the 5000s not being heavy enough for the Exs, when I had them on my Z71 it was night and day with out rough those were for that light of a truck. Thanks for the heads up Iv got some time so I'll do some more shopping around

Old 05-24-2015, 02:48 AM
AppocAlexx
Senior User

Few parts came in

Old 05-24-2015, 02:51 AM
AppocAlexx
Senior User
Along with my trailer that came in today as well, I couldn't even tell it was behind the Ex

Old 05-29-2015, 01:13 PM
AppocAlexx
Senior User
So pulling my 20ft TT about 20ish miles to the beach and about 2/3 the way there blow #9 spark plug, after inspection found that it looked #1 had blown before bc the coil has been tapped up at the mounting area to manifold. So I disconnected injector and what was left of the broken coil that broke at the mounting hole as well and drove it back home.

Being the great father he is, my dad needed to buy the time-cert kit for his shop and went ahead an ordered one and had it sent to me and ill send it back his way once im done with it.

Looking at doing all 10 or other 8 as well since #1 looks like it might have been done already (hopefully time-cert kit not helicoil, will have to check) along with new plugs abviously and valvel cover gaskets.

Any tips and trick for this is always welcome seeing how this is my first spark plug repair I will be doing on these fords. Im sure more to come as i get into my mechanic career.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:46 PM
AppocAlexx
Senior User
Im thinking i might like the 00-04 headlights for some reason with the RetroFit kit HIDs, im wanting the smoked headlights and i just messed aroudn with the eyebrow matching paint, not for sure one eyebrow tho. this was done one paint program so lookslike crap but just messing around.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:22 PM
AppocAlexx
Senior User
ok so i might end up doing the eyebrow, ill do vinyl sticker or plastidip so i can take it off if i dont like it.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:32 AM
AppocAlexx
Senior User
Anndd now im looking at getting a new motor, FML

Old 06-03-2015, 03:18 PM
gots_a_sol
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Why? Because a plug blew out?

Old 06-03-2015, 03:53 PM
AppocAlexx
Senior User
Im getting a pretty loud knock now, I drove it like 20ish miles with that blown plug so idk if that has naything to do with it or if the exaust leak i had was masking the knocking cant really tell the exact spot but with the money I would be spending on rebuilding the heads or rebuilding the enine, im looking at doing a reman, or used 7.3 swap. Doing research now on the forum for the 7.3 swap, I think I found a 7.3 on craigs but not sure if want to do it or not. But if the money is right why not? Buttt then you always have the issue of if that used engine was taken care of, obviously got a bad egg with this one, which is my luck but what can ya do.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:48 PM
AppocAlexx
Senior User
Nope nvm not even gunna look into a swap too much bs, maybe if the wiring harness would just swap over easy then it would be work it but i dont do electrical issues. Read 5 threads already and does not seem worth it. Hopefully i can get this done in a month or so is my plan, first iv gotta get the engine in my bronco finished (gunna hit it hard this weekend) and stabbed then i can start working on the EX, for now it will be parked out front, i might work on some of the rust spots and cheep cosmetics for now, post some up dates later.

Quick Reply: MachinEx Build Thread