6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Onboard compressor recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 11:59 AM
Subsailor1127
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all. I am looking for some recommendations for an onboard compressor for my Firestone Air Bags. I normally only tow my 15K 5er a couple of times a month from about March to September every year (except for the "epic" summer vacation each year over to Idaho which is a 10 day trip). I initially thought I did not need or want an onboard compressor because of my light use. The reason I think I might want one now is to keep the bags at 8-10 PSI when not towing and 20-25 PSI when I am towing (that's a guess because I have not hooked up yet since I installed the bags last week). I know the bags tend to lose pressure a little bit over time and an onboard compressor would keep me from dragging my compressor out or finding one when on the road. Neither one of those is a big deal, but why not put an onboard one in? Okay- things I am concerned with:
1. Wiring it up and getting through the firewall. I know there are pass through wires, but I have never found or used them before.
2. Cost. Because of my light use and no need or want for an air horn, I want something that will just keep the bags where I want them and not break the bank.
3. Install location. Seems like under the back seat is a popular location.
4. Do I need a tank or just a compressor?
5. Something that will last 4 or 5 years would be nice.

I have read a lot of the other post here about compressor installs, but most seem to be a little more than I need for my application. Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks, Glenn

Old 05-18-2015, 12:06 PM
Blapensee
Elder User
I use a lower end viair compressor (as far as output) with a tank both mounted under the passenger side on the outside of the frame. There pretty hidden I use a large 6 gallon tank and my truck is lifted but you can only see the bottom of the tank which I'm fine with. Wiring is ran through a rubber plug under the drivers side carpet to the relay from there it goes to the battery so only one wire needs to be ran into the cab. Been running this way for more than a year only issue I've had is a relay went bad from corrosion but now it's in a better spot.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:19 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts

Glenn, I have the Visit 10007 system on my truck with an air chuck under the side of the truck to air up tires, floats or whatever. It comes with a tank too. I did a write up on this forum about the "drill-less install" I did on my truck. For some reason I can't copy and paste with my phone after its update, but search for my name and "Visit install" and you should be able to find it. I use my onboard compressor to change the pressure in the bags when the road conditions change. Love having onboard air.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:37 PM
Subsailor1127
More Turbo
Thanks Monty, I will look that post up (I didn't see it in my earlier search for compressor info). Thanks to you also Blapensee!

Old 05-18-2015, 01:58 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver

dang auto correct keeps changing the word Viair!

Old 05-18-2015, 03:02 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Old 05-18-2015, 03:16 PM
Subsailor1127
More Turbo
Thanks Monty, nice install!

Old 05-19-2015, 05:39 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the 10007 system on my 2011 and it was running same as day 1 when I sold it last year, they last 5yrs easy. Installing is pretty simple but requires some thought and planning. The wiring is easily done with just a switch power going to an up fitter, big power via relay comes from the battery if you choose to, the up fitter is rated at 25amps which is ok to use, so you can just use an up fitter for everything or not, up to you.

I've always kept the compressor and tank mounted under the truck and haven't had any issues with the elements harming anything. I do drive up north in the winter so it's certainly a system that has been put to the test.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:51 AM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn Jenne
2. Cost. Because of my light use and no need or want for an air horn, I want something that will just keep the bags where I want them and not break the bank.

IMO there are 2 types of on board air systems.
1) cheap, no tank, runs pump to inflate air bags, in-cab manual value to deflate.
2) expensive, tank, takes more solenoid valves to inflate/deflate bags. Tank stays pressurized, pump only runs to maintain tank pressure.

based on your criteria #2, you can get a low end system with no tank. A single channel (both bags plumbed together) is fine for your application.

Whether piecing a kit together or buying a system option 2 is around $700 depending on the capability/ quality of the pump and valve/gauges.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:30 PM
Subsailor1127
More Turbo
Thanks Smoky, don't think I need a tank. -Glenn

Old 05-19-2015, 02:57 PM
BCM
More Turbo

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Per the urging of some of the guys around here, the AirLift Wireless One has been incredible all season so far.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:48 PM
Subsailor1127
More Turbo
Thanks BCM, I do like that system. I just cannot "justify" spending that much when I only tow my 5er a couple times a month for camping trips. That is the one I would have if money was not an object. I know that probably sounds a little silly with all the money I have wrapped up in the truck and 5th wheel already, but have to keep the "little misses" happy too. Maybe I will just save my pennies for a while and get that one. -Glenn

Old 05-19-2015, 05:42 PM
RuralSurvivalGuide
Freshman User
The Air Lift wireless is what I had in my '09, & will put in my new truck. Keeps the bags at 5# when not in use. Mounted the compressor & relay above the spare tire. Only ran one wire to the battery, if my memory serves me, all other wires at the rear. Nothing came into the cab but the remote.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:52 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Monty, thanks for finding that link; I couldn't find it.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:22 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by CarlT100
Monty, thanks for finding that link; I couldn't find it.
You are welcome...I knew what to look for.

Quick Reply: Onboard compressor recommendations